My thought on California Pacific Homes' legacy in West Irvine

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1244613569]Isn't John Laing's Cobblestone in Oak Creek a detached condo and didn't it predate Wisteria?</blockquote>

Yes by definition. Cobblestone's predecessor was Cal Pac's Presidio, Sancere, Brindisi and Monserrat. They were not referred to as detached condos but cluster homes where one tracks leaked motor oil into his front door via the motor-court instead of the detached condos' pedestrians paseo. Detached condo is closer to a detached home by its property parcel boundary definition.

Both companies no longer sell homes.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1244612271]

Ivywood in West Irvine and its predecessor Kelsey Lane in Oakcreek certainly were not attractive by any mean.</blockquote>

Bk, you think that Ivywood is unattractive. But don't you think they are some of the best looking when compared to other homes in West Irvine? For example, they are not as ugly as the Independence tract, in my opinion. What are your thoughts? Also they are not showing their age like many of the very outdated homes in Irvine. I don't think they would win a beauty pageant on their own merit, but maybe not as offensively ugly as some of the other options in Irvine. Do you disagree?

I appreciate today's Cal Pac/West Irvine love fest as I was once a Cal Pac owner. I still have the bottle of wine from Cary B. as a thank you gift. However, let's not kid ourselves as to why Cal Pac was so successful. They were successful primarily because they undercut the competition on price. Cal Pac used the cheapest moulding, cheap plumbing fixtures, cheap sinks, cheap bathtubs, metal garage doors, metal entry doors, low end appliances, etc. compared to its competitors like Laing, Taylor Woodrow, Standard Pacific, etc. Frankly, I don't care too much about bells and whistles so Cal Pac appealed to me because I got the most sq ft bang for my buck. But for the consumer who likes luxurious living, Cal Pac is not for them.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1244616250][quote author="bkshopr" date=1244612271]

Ivywood in West Irvine and its predecessor Kelsey Lane in Oakcreek certainly were not attractive by any mean.</blockquote>

Bk, you think that Ivywood is unattractive. But don't you think they are some of the best looking when compared to other homes in West Irvine? For example, they are not as ugly as the Independence tract, in my opinion. What are your thoughts? Also they are not showing their age like many of the very outdated homes in Irvine. I don't think they would win a beauty pageant on their own merit, but maybe not as offensively ugly as some of the other options in Irvine. Do you disagree?</blockquote>

They are better than Lewis, Fieldstone, and Lyon and certainly the beauty queen in West Irvine.

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1244616405]I appreciate today's Cal Pac/West Irvine love fest as I was once a Cal Pac owner. I still have the bottle of wine from Cary B. as a thank you gift. However, let's not kid ourselves as to why Cal Pac was so successful. They were successful primarily because they undercut the competition on price. Cal Pac used the cheapest moulding, cheap plumbing fixtures, cheap sinks, cheap bathtubs, metal garage doors, metal entry doors, low end appliances, etc. compared to its competitors like Laing, Taylor Woodrow, Standard Pacific, etc. Frankly, I don't care too much about bells and whistles so Cal Pac appealed to me because I got the most sq ft bang for my buck. But for the consumer who likes luxurious living, Cal Pac is not for them.</blockquote>

Cary knew that when selling a house it is the sf that count and not the brand on the appliances and water heater.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1244616250][quote author="bkshopr" date=1244612271]

Bk, you think that Ivywood is unattractive. But don't you think they are some of the best looking when compared to other homes in West Irvine? For example, they are not as ugly as the Independence tract, in my opinion. What are your thoughts? Also they are not showing their age like many of the very outdated homes in Irvine. I don't think they would win a beauty pageant on their own merit, but maybe not as offensively ugly as some of the other options in Irvine. Do you disagree?</blockquote>

I was thinking the same thing. While Kelsy Lane might not be attractive compared to the classic homes of San Marino, but within its neighborhood, it is very good looking. The Centex tract right next to Kelsy Lane (I forget the name) looks like a typical Corona house from 1995.

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1244616844][quote author="SoCal78" date=1244616250][quote author="bkshopr" date=1244612271]

I was thinking the same thing. While Kelsy Lane might not be attractive compared to the classic homes of San Marino, but within its neighborhood, it is very good looking. The Centex tract right next to Kelsy Lane (I forget the name) looks like a typical Corona house from 1995.</blockquote>
Centex was never in Oakcreek. You must be referring to Kenwood by KB homes.

Beauty is really all subjective after being here for a few years. It is all in the eyes of the beholder.

Often it is a standard often attached to a price point. Kelsey Lane is one heck of an average house when it was selling for 1.2 million but a really good looking house for $500k now.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1244617563][quote author="High Gravity" date=1244616844][quote author="SoCal78" date=1244616250][quote author="bkshopr" date=1244612271]

I was thinking the same thing. While Kelsy Lane might not be attractive compared to the classic homes of San Marino, but within its neighborhood, it is very good looking. The Centex tract right next to Kelsy Lane (I forget the name) looks like a typical Corona house from 1995.</blockquote>
Centex was never in Oakcreek. You must be referring to Kenwood by KB homes.</blockquote>

Yes, I was thinking of Kenwood. Imagine how stupid I felt when Kelsy Lane was selling for $1.2 mil (in 2006) and I backed out of buying one for $320k (in 1999).

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1244685374][quote author="bkshopr" date=1244617563][quote author="High Gravity" date=1244616844][quote author="SoCal78" date=1244616250][quote author="bkshopr" date=1244612271]

Centex was never in Oakcreek. You must be referring to Kenwood by KB homes.</blockquote>

Yes, I was thinking of Kenwood. Imagine how stupid I felt when Kelsy Lane was selling for $1.2 mil (in 2006) and I backed out of buying one for $320k (in 1999).</blockquote>

Same here... 356k with an attic. Doh.

Back