My Rental foreclosure/REO Purchase story

Fire blade

Folks, I just wanted to post my own personal experience here.. This is part One...
By the way much thanks to Martin Mania( USC) and John Wheaton( Solvent Green) for helping me through this nightmare...

About 15 months ago we rented a house in OC(not going to mention what city because most of you guys on here are plenty smart and probably figure out what property this is ...I value my privacy ..).  The landlords were this nice older Asian couple. The rent was below market and the house was in good shape, clean and upgraded and included all appliances.  First few months all was well, we paid our rent on time and had little communication with our landlords.  Then late in July we started getting junk mail with regards to foreclosure help and assistance etc.  In August we started getting certified mail in our landlords name from US Bank. When I called my landlords they told me that it was nothing and basically just a billing issue with US Bank.  I didn?t know what to do or how to respond and decided to accept what they said and went out about my day to day business.  My wife however kept telling me that something was wrong and that I should meet up with the couple and ask them in person about what was really going on...  I told her that the old couple was too nice and that they wouldn?t lie to me.

As September came along we started getting more and more foreclosure junk mail and actually had realtors leaving us foreclosure and short sale help packages at our door. Then one day I got a call from my wife while I was at work and she told me that a realtor had come by and had informed my wife that the house was in foreclosure and he could help us with doing a short sale instead( He thought she was the owner). I immediately called the landlords and this time they gave me a different story.  They told me that the previous renters were responsible for their HOA dues and that they had not paid the total amount for over a year hence the HOA had put the house in foreclosure process.
They told they were working with the HOA to get this resolved. Anyways, at this point it just seemed too fishy so I asked the landlords to call me and come by the house to discuss.  Of course they didn?t show up and soon after by October they stopped taking our calls. I still kept paying our lease during this whole time.

In December during the holidays we were paid a visit by a couple of realtors who informed us that the house had foreclosed and was now the property of US Bank.  They asked us if they could see the house and I promptly told them they couldn?t. I told them I had a lease through end of May next year and that I knew my renters rights etc.  They offered a "cash for keys" kind of deal ( $1,000) , I laughed at them and told them even if they gave me $10,000 I wouldn?t move since it was too much hardship for me, my wife and kids.  I basically told them to go pound sand and that I would be mailing them a copy of my lease agreement with the previous landlord.
The following week, couple of days after Christmas I got a notice from US Bank's attorney asking us to quit the premises in 30 days.
I will Post Part 2 soon

50 Shades of Foreclosure...FireBlade style.. 

So let me unprofessionally guess.. since it involved SGIP... you purchased the REO in the end?

If fireblade doesnt post the rest of the story today i say we vote and make USC tells us the rest of the story.

I think we should just tell the story... like one of those Internet forum games.

I'll start:

So I hired a private investigator to track down the landlords. Turns out they were spies from China trying to discover the secret of The Irvine Company inflated house premiums. They ended up terminating my PI and sending an assassin after me now that I knew of their plans.

Fortunately, I am trained in 12 forms of martial arts and an expert marksman in small firearms -- skills which saved my life as the assassin they sent was a Ninja with magical powers from another dimension. Just about when he was powering up to throw a lightning bolt at me I pulled out my Fire Blade...

[Part 3 forthcoming]

:)

Back