My loan provider just called me

Trooper_IHB

<p>How weird is this. I just received a call from my 2nd mortgage provider. I've never heard from them in the 2 yrs that they've held my 2nd. The friendly voice on the other end of the line was just calling to "check in" to see how everything was going since recently FEMA advised them there had been a natural disaster declared in my area (Connecticut). Now, I live in CA and rent out the house, and I know we had a crud load of rain a couple of months ago....but disaster? (I do concede that there was some flooding in the area, but nothing crazy....) so I was still incredulous about the call. She then asked if my current information was still valid......uh, yes. </p>

<p>WHAAA? I expressed a little skepticism and after some friendly banter, I finally got the young female caller to admit that another reason why they're calling is to make sure I'm still above water financially. Now, I've never paid late and I add extra principal every month, so I kept chatting with her trying to get to the bottom of it. Made no sense to me why they were calling a "pay on time" kind of borrower.</p>

<p>She confirmed that the call was pretty much being done as an offensive move to try and identify folks who might be headed towards default. Apparently, she stated, there are so many people in the last 2 months that have gone into voluntary default, the company has chosen this path to try and identify these people early and try and get them on a "payment plan". When I asked if they were offering to lower peoples rates, she said "no, we can't do that". I also asked her how the payment plans were working out....she said, "they're not, really".</p>

<p>She also confirmed that they have hired a "whole bunch of new people" to deal with the rise in defaults and foreclosures. Her words were "It's really bad". She said that most people that are in trouble are just telling her "I'm not paying, the keys will be on the counter". She also confirmed that California was the worst state on their rolls.</p>

<p>Have you ever heard of a mortgage company making "pre-emptive strike" calls like this one ??? Unbelievable.</p>

<p>For those that are wondering, its Wilshire Credit Corporation. And my rate is fixed, so no concerns here about resets.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>When your house is destroyed, a payment plan means very little. But its nice to know that they are at least developing a plan to identify and help themsleves. BUT I hate to say it, they would not have needed this if they had developed decent loan practices.</p>

<p>-bix</p>

Yes, but the "flooding" she was referring to was 2 months ago. I've paid 2 months worth of payments since then.... To me, it appears as if the call was really to check up on financial solvency.

In CT, nowhere like here. The average price on a home is only 250K (estimate) so resets aren't nearly as large. My home has lost about 15% of it's value I believe. The price drops I've been seeing are within the 10K to 40K range, started about 8 months before they did in CA. Now, if I lived anywhere near Greenwich CT, the drops would be in the 100K range.

<p>Trooper - I have heard that some lenders were going to start something like this. I think it was Option One who hired a big crew of people called the Mod Squad to call on the borrowers and start offering loan modifications. Wilshire Credit is one of the largest loan servicers out there and the majority that they service is subprime. I am not saying you are subprime because they do service A-paper too but since subprime is their niche it doesn't surprise me that they are pre-emptively striking.</p>

<p>Sounds like people will become familar with the term "jingle mail" again. </p>

<p>My boss was recently transferred from Southern CT and he said prices there had dropped about 20%. He used his house as an example and since he had to sell it was 20% off what the peak was. He is renting here in SoCal. </p>

<p>In the 90s the drops started in the Northeast first and then out here. Funny how history repeats itself. </p>

<p>regarding sub-prime....Hmmmm, I would have figured I was Alt-A. My loan was a stated, no doc (but I had 200K in the bank from another sale). I was on a leave of absence from my job at the time, hence, no current income when I applied for the mortgage. 805 FICO. </p>

<p>Hmmm. Well, at least I'll be the 1 or 2 of subprime borrowers that don't default !</p>

Is it just me or do you guys find it ironic that this exactly what happened in the last bust? The <a href="http://macromarkets.com/about_us/publications/real_estate/a-decade-of-boom.pdf">Case and Shiller studies</a> proved in the past and as the <a href="http://macromarkets.com/about_us/publications/real_estate/is-there-a-bubble.pdf">new study</a> showed that the same was happening again. It really makes you wonder why <a href="http://lawrenceyunwatch.blogspot.com/">Lawrence Yun</a> of NAR starts spewing "the west coastal area is the leader of the market and everyone else follows" shows he is a discredited hack. You would think someone with a degree from Purdue and a PH.D from U of Maryland he would have some sort of knowledge of reality.

<p>CalGal, </p>

<p> its nice to know, i hope to be part of the next rise in prices, maybe buy a decent house and pay it off quickly. I still wonder what is going to happen with apartments complexes and their value.</p>

<p>-bix</p>

Back