Music school

Are you in Irvine? If so, I'm sure there are other alternatives. Over here in No. Santa Ana we have the newly opened Orange County Therapeutic Arts Center which collaborates a lot with OCHSA, one of the top arts schools in the country. They have all sorts of great offerings for preschoolers. They offer lots of music classes, dance, art and acting. My 4 year old son is taking an acting class now and really enjoys it. They have numerous musical instrument classes also.

Miranda Woo in Northwood Pointe. 714 665-2469. Her students have won statewide piano competitions and many 1st place in local citywide competitions. She is accredited and certified.

Her husband is Gwailo and he also teaches numerous string instruments.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1232462405]Miranda Woo in Northwood Pointe. 714 665-2469. Her students have won statewide piano competitions and many 1st place in local citywide competitions. She is accredited and certified.

Her husband is Gwailo and he also teaches numerous string instruments.</blockquote>
BK, can you just say "white". I'd hate to see you get labeled with the racist card again.

[quote author="Oscar" date=1232463491][quote author="bkshopr" date=1232462405]Miranda Woo in Northwood Pointe. 714 665-2469. Her students have won statewide piano competitions and many 1st place in local citywide competitions. She is accredited and certified.

Her husband is Gwailo and he also teaches numerous string instruments.</blockquote>
BK, can you just say "white". I'd hate to see you get labeled with the racist card again.</blockquote>

gwaillo is not a racist term to the Chinese. In this instance, the Chinese are using the word "devil" to describe white people in a similar context that a gewillo would refer to his own child as a "llittle devil"

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1232506367][quote author="Oscar" date=1232463491][quote author="bkshopr" date=1232462405]Miranda Woo in Northwood Pointe. 714 665-2469. Her students have won statewide piano competitions and many 1st place in local citywide competitions. She is accredited and certified.

BK, can you just say "white". I'd hate to see you get labeled with the racist card again.</blockquote>

gwaillo is not a racist term to the Chinese. In this instance, the Chinese are using the word "devil" to describe white people in a similar context that a gewillo would refer to his own child as a "llittle devil"</blockquote>

<blockquote>From Wikipedia:

Gwai Lo (??) literally means "ghost man". The term is often translated into English as foreign devil. The term arose when the first group of Europeans appeared in China as they were associated with barbarians due to their behavior. For more than 4000 years, Chinese people has the image of its borders continuously breached by uncivilized tribes given to mayhem and destruction. Hence foreigners were referred to as foreign devils. Historically in Southern parts of China, the term Foreign devil (??) was used.</blockquote>

I understand the etymology of the term. I also undertand that anyone not knowing the term will look it up and find that it is, historically at least, a racist term. Saying "her husband is white" carries no such historical meaning.

that's funny that wikipedia describes the term as such...growing up in hong kong, i was always told that "gwai lo" began due to foreigners' physical appearance: lighter skin, blond/red hair colors, green/blue eyes; but never due to barbaric behavior.

methinks bkshopr doesn't give a shit about how others think of him...

Gwai Lo is really a Cantonese slang word for Caucasian. The two words when put together is harmless and 99% of all Cantonese use this term. When the 2 words are translated individually then both words translate into Gwai for ghost and Lo for man. Ghost I guess is referenced to the fair skin pale as a ghost. For all Cantonese the term carries no derogatory intention contrary to its literal translation.

There are limited Chinese characters in my culture. New inventions and foreign things or people this language has its limitations in describing. Compound words are formed to describe things found outside the Ancient Chinese culture.

Dien Low is the Cantonese word for Computer. When both words are detached they translate to electrocuted and brain.

As technology advances we have language translation software that translates Chinese to English or vice versa but software can only translate word per word. Translation therefore can be misleading.

As a result, ?Me love use your electrocuted brain? but What I really meant is I love to use your computer.

Another one is "Me and my old grandmother do love" but what I really meant is My wife and I made love.

Translation of word per word could be really dangerous!

I'm sure it's not a racist term in China, Hong Kong, or anywhere else Cantonese-speaking people gather. But that's not the point. Since most non-Cantonese people are not familiar with the term, they would look it up, and possibly infer the wrong meaning or at least a different one than was implied. Using the infamous "N" word in Somalia would get questioning looks, yelling "Paki go home" would not be understood in Idaho, and referring to someone as a "beaner" in Australia would get a blank stare. Using labels in the wrong time and place will cause people to be upset. My point was that simply saying "her husband is white" is factually the same as calling him a Gwailo, but without any possible misunderstanding or offense.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1232759537][quote author="almon" date=1232727024]methinks bkshopr doesn't give a shit about how others think of him...</blockquote>
That's one more reason that some people respects him.

[quote author="almon" date=1232727024]that's funny that wikipedia describes the term as such...growing up in hong kong, i was always told that "gwai lo" began due to foreigners' physical appearance: lighter skin, blond/red hair colors, green/blue eyes; but<strong> never due to barbaric behavior</strong>....</blockquote>

Are you stating that the Western culture is barbaric to people from Hong Kong? <run away></blockquote>

melikes your sense of humor boss

[quote author="Oscar" date=1232792856]I'm sure it's not a racist term in China, Hong Kong, or anywhere else Cantonese-speaking people gather. But that's not the point. Since most non-Cantonese people are not familiar with the term, they would look it up, and possibly infer the wrong meaning or at least a different one than was implied. Using the infamous "N" word in Somalia would get questioning looks, yelling "Paki go home" would not be understood in Idaho, and referring to someone as a "beaner" in Australia would get a blank stare. Using labels in the wrong time and place will cause people to be upset. My point was that simply saying "her husband is white" is factually the same as calling him a Gwailo, but without any possible misunderstanding or offense.</blockquote>

maybe when they look it up, they will read the entire wiki page, and not pick out 8 words and focus on that...

the wiki page is actually pretty neutral

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1232790113] New inventions and foreign things or people this language has its limitations in describing. Compound words are formed to describe things found outside the Ancient Chinese culture.

</blockquote>

This is also true in Euorpean languages. English word television means "far sight" (tele=far, visio=sight). German for airplane is flugzeug, which means "flying thing."

Back