murder and political correctness

awgee_IHB

Have to get a rant off my chest here.

I just saw a preview on TV for a 60 minutes piece on the murder of Mountain Gorillas. One can not "murder" a gorilla or any other animal because the definition of murder is the "illegal killing of a human being". The definition had to be changed after Roe v. Wade, but will it be changed again to now include all animals? Don't you think a journalist and his/her editors would be smart enough to understand the importance of language and definitions?

From wikipedia: <i>"Murder is the unlawful killing of a human person with malice aforethought".</i>

And one more. It just burns my craw when I hear some moron say, "Well, animals are people too."

Argh!

[quote author="awgee" date=1215380102]Have to get a rant off my chest here.

I just saw a preview on TV for a 60 minutes piece on the murder of Mountain Gorillas. One can not "murder" a gorilla or any other animal because the definition of murder is the "illegal killing of a human being". ... Argh!</blockquote>

You need to write them to tell them you're not tolerant of propaganda. It's the only way to take the airwaves and public sphere back from the nanny state.

Who says its propaganda? Can't it simply be inflammatory language used to drive viewership? Believe me, none of the major networks (and, probably, minor ones) have any goal except increasing revenue.

You didn't hear? Monkeys ARE humans... <a href="http://features.csmonitor.com/environment/2008/06/27/spain-to-grant-some-human-rights-to-apes/">Link</a>

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1215386767]Who says its propaganda? Can't it simply be inflammatory language used to drive viewership? Believe me, none of the major networks (and, probably, minor ones) have any goal except increasing revenue.</blockquote>

True, and to that end inflammatory and biased 'reporting' is tolerated. Frankly, the US media is quickly descending to the like of Al Jazeera. I'm surprised Baghdad Bob hasn't replaced Katie Couric yet.

Still, 60 Minutes tends to be one of the better ones. So you're likely right, probably a simple case of a network suit pimping a show. Sadly for much of the others it isn't.

Trust me, it's not descending. It's been there for years.

Eva is completely correct. You want good (well, actionable) news? Watch CNBC, NPR, or (believe it or not) PBS. I didn't say it was unbiased.

60 Minutes did a hatchet job on a man named Jack Stone about 30 years ago. He was head of the Westlands Water District at the time. When they got done with him you'd think he needed to be crucified for fleecing the taxpayers. In reality..............he was probablly the most decent man I ever had the privlidge to meet.

60 minutes can suck it.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1215386767]Who says its propaganda? Can't it simply be inflammatory language used to drive viewership? Believe me, none of the major networks (and, probably, minor ones) have any goal except increasing revenue.</blockquote>
I say it's propaganda, which is defined by webster's as "2: the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person" and wikipedia says it "... gives loaded messages in order to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented", because the point of the production was to document the destruction of gorillas. If this was a misleading headline your hypothesis might be correct, but the producers and Anderson Cooper clearly are trying to inflame public opinion in order to "save" the animals. The entire segment is now available online at the 60 minutes website and there is no doubt they are aiming for an emotional reaction.

<blockquote>I?ve had the privilege of seeing them in the wild</blockquote>
That's pretty cool. I would love to experience that sometime. Where were you?

[quote author="skek" date=1215476543]I don't care about the semantic debate over the use of the word "murder," because I applaud 60 Minutes' effort to publicize this story and inflame public opinion in favor of saving the mountain gorillas. While they aren't human, they aren't animals in the same way frogs, chickens or sea bass are animals. I've had the privilege of seeing them in the wild -- They are intelligent and compassionate and deserve our protection. Our world would be a worse place if we lost these magnificent animals.

Yes, I know, this from the conservative Republican...</blockquote>

If you use language incorrectly, especially when you know better, you lose credibility and so does your cause.

Back