Municipal Library

i1 said:
I hope they find at least $200-300mil+ to spend on it, as long as the wastage is kept to normal levels for these kinds of things.

Good cities need good civic spaces especially cities the size of irvine.

Cost is around few k per household spread out over years. Seems worth it.
http://www.pps.org/reference/benefits_public_spaces/

As I've posted before, I'm not opposed to a library or civic space or even a hub. What alarms me is the price tag. I think a few thousand dollars per household is a BIG deal.

iacrenter said:
i1 said:
I hope they find at least $200-300mil+ to spend on it, as long as the wastage is kept to normal levels for these kinds of things.

Good cities need good civic spaces especially cities the size of irvine.

Cost is around few k per household spread out over years. Seems worth it.
http://www.pps.org/reference/benefits_public_spaces/

As I've posted before, I'm not opposed to a library or civic space or even a hub. What alarms me is the price tag. I think a few thousand dollars per household is a BIG deal.

Ideally majority could come from private or corporate sources but hard to count on that.

At least city taxes stay local vs less than 10% of prop taxes but no one complains about the latter.

For this fy, irvine is going to spend $10mil of budget surplus to shore up its pension plan for unfunded liabilities. Total budget is only abt 150mil. Total community development spending is abt 11mil

Would be nice if they didn't just automatically put surpluses into their pensions.

I've been to all three Irvine libraries. All the times I've gone, I've never noticed that they're overcrowded or even crowded. So what is the great demand for this $200 million library?

As for the library sq. ft per person metric. This is artificially lower because the UCI student population is included and their library needs are served by the UC library system.

Vinster said:
I've been to all three Irvine libraries. All the times I've gone, I've never noticed that they're overcrowded or even crowded. So what is the great demand for this $200 million library?

As for the library sq. ft per person metric. This is artificially lower because the UCI student population is included and their library needs are served by the UC library system.

#recallthemayor

Vinster said:

exactly.. so need to be more forward thinking.  Can't be filling up big buildings with books anymore.  Have a place people would like to hold events at like conferences or weddings. 

might as well build a world class birth village that offers full service and covers from 3 month pregnant to 6 months after birth. great revenue streams for the city I am sure.

jmoney74 said:
Vinster said:

exactly.. so need to be more forward thinking.  Can't be filling up big buildings with books anymore.  Have a place people would like to hold events at like conferences or weddings.

As I mentioned before, collaboration hub/center with a futuristic architect design for the building. Just offer free wifi. Also, there can be a small art gallery area connected. Where up coming artist can display and possibly sell there art work.

Angels_Baseball_2015 said:
Mayor Choi may have a soft spot for the library, because his graduate degrees are in library science.

I think we need a municipal library in Irvine.  I support this cause.  It will be a center/main gathering area for students, parents, and kids to socialize and learn together throughout the week.

From my first hand experience, my wife and her friends take their toddlers/kids only to the Tustin and Newport Libraries for story time, etc on the weekday.  They use the library very frequently.  All four lives in Irvine.  Not sure why they don't use the Irvine one (I should ask=). 

If the Cerritos Millennium Library cost $40 million to build, why does Irvine library cost $200 million?

momopi said:
If the Cerritos Millennium Library cost $40 million to build, why does Irvine library cost $200 million?

Millennium Library was built in 2002.  Construction inflation adjusted cost probably would be $60 million in today's cost.  If it's built in the next 5-7 years, then probably another 20% to $70 million+.  Cerritos has population of about 50,000.  Irvine target peak population goal is 300,000 to 350,000 (currently 250,000) with that much higher tax base to support it.  For the size of the city and the scale of the project (central area/downtown OC), I don't think it is that unreasonable "if" you are comparing the Millennium Library to the planned project.

bones said:
+1.  We need a better library.  It's sad that peeps in Irvine travel to NB to use their library.

New to Irvine.  What are the best libraries people go to around here for kids?...other than NB?  How is the Mission Viejo library?  And...are the current Irvine libraries a waste of my time?

paydawg said:
New to Irvine.  What are the best libraries people go to around here for kids?...other than NB?  How is the Mission Viejo library?  And...are the current Irvine libraries a waste of my time?

Irvine's libraries are an embarrassment to the city.  It's because they are funded by the county as opposed to the municipal libraries of Mission Viejo and Huntington Beach, which are fantastic.

I'd rather have the city give each resident $1000 and let us decide how to spend the money.

Goriot said:
momopi said:

Millennium Library was built in 2002.  Construction inflation adjusted cost probably would be $60 million in today's cost.  If it's built in the next 5-7 years, then probably another 20% to $70 million+.  Cerritos has population of about 50,000.  Irvine target peak population goal is 300,000 to 350,000 (currently 250,000) with that much higher tax base to support it.  For the size of the city and the scale of the project (central area/downtown OC), I don't think it is that unreasonable "if" you are comparing the Millennium Library to the planned project.

Back