Moving to Irvine! Help!

lostinirvine

Hello All,

I'm a first-time poster. I am moving to Irvine in the upcoming months and getting a bit overwhelmed with the options. I would love your input. Here is my background and some of my questions:

1. Time to purchase: between now and 1 year.

2. Price: 1.5 - 2.3 million.

3. No kids yet; ideally, this would be our final home, so we would like to be in the "best" school system, which at this point, seems to be University and/or Northwood. Who knows what it will be in 14-16 years?!

4. What are people's thoughts on elementary schools, specifically Vista Verde? Personally, I think elementary school and junior high are more important than high school, as the former sets the foundations for kids' study habits. We want our kids to be in a strong academic environment, but also one that is culturally diverse (i.e. don't want the vast majority of classmates to be East Asian, South Asian, although this may be difficult in Irvine).

5. What are people's thoughts on Newport Coast/ Port streets in Newport? Also, what do people think of Newport Elementary school and Corona del Mar high school?

Thank you for your help and input. As you all know, this website is extremely helpful (albeit, overwhelming at times).

Cheers!

lostinirvine said:
Hello All,

I'm a first-time poster. I am moving to Irvine in the upcoming months and getting a bit overwhelmed with the options. I would love your input. Here is my background and some of my questions:

3. No kids yet; ideally, this would be our final home, so we would like to be in the "best" school system, which at this point, seems to be University and/or Northwood. Who knows what it will be in 14-16 years?!

4. What are people's thoughts on elementary schools, specifically Vista Verde? Personally, I think elementary school and junior high are more important than high school, as the former sets the foundations for kids' study habits. We want our kids to be in a strong academic environment, but also one that is culturally diverse (i.e. don't want the vast majority of classmates to be East Asian, South Asian, although this may be difficult in Irvine).

5. What are people's thoughts on Newport Coast/ Port streets in Newport? Also, what do people think of Newport Elementary school and Corona del Mar high school?

Thank you for your help and input. As you all know, this website is extremely helpful (albeit, overwhelming at times).

Cheers!

sent you a PM. We went through a very similar thought process.

In addition to Irvine and Newport, have you looked at nearby cities like Tustin, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, RSM, etc.?

You can get more for your money -- bigger home, bigger lot, bigger yard, etc.  For $1+ million you can buy lake front home in Lake Forest, and for $2+ million you can buy lake front home in Mission Viejo with your own boat dock.

In RSM you can buy SFR's with bigger slope lots & beautiful back yard near Oso Reservoir for well under $1 million.  They got some nice big fat rabbits out there.

We get most of our water piped in, so if there's a disaster and the pumps are down, you can fetch freshwater from MV Lake or Oso Reservoir.  The schools are likely more racially diverse vs Irvine as well.

lostinirvine said:
Hello All,

Cheers!

no doubt.  id move to newport. 

I would go with the Port Streets or Turtle Rock.

Sidenote: I went to Vista Verde from K-8 (the original one before they tore it down and built those hideous homes by William Lyon), and I had a great experience. The school had kids from all different ethnic backgrounds. I'm not sure how it is now though since it's in Turtle Ridge.

With that budget, I'd move to newport coast. It's a bit longer of a drive but well worth it.

I moved from newport to irvine and although Irvine is more convenient, the newport environment is more quiet and plush. Just a minute away from PCH is bliss for me.

momopi said:
In RSM you can buy SFR's with bigger slope lots & beautiful back yard near Oso Reservoir for well under $1 million.  They got some nice big fat rabbits out there.

We get most of our water piped in, so if there's a disaster and the pumps are down, you can fetch freshwater from MV Lake or Oso Reservoir.

I've got to say, Momo, I'm impressed. With all due respect, of course, Mrs. Momopi is a blessed woman to be married to someone with these survival skills. The rabbit was good thinking and when I got to the last part about the water, I thought to myself, "Geez, to think my husband told me to drink out of the water heater in case of emergency..." Well, I suppose it could have been worse. He could have said the toilet tank.

I can definitely say that school wise you wont be disappointed if you move here for academic reasons. The schools have good enrichment programs. they ll challenge the kids if they are a "a little so called ahead" or if the kids need support they offer all the support they can to make sure they are successful. But on the other side its a pretty competitive district....in the sense ....if they moved from another state or city , the  kids may start to feel like a small fish in a big pond....its both ways....depends on what works for your kid.

SoCal said:
momopi said:

We get most of our water piped in, so if there's a disaster and the pumps are down, you can fetch freshwater from MV Lake or Oso Reservoir.

I've got to say, Momo, I'm impressed. With all due respect, of course, Mrs. Momopi is a blessed woman to be married to someone with these survival skills. The rabbit was good thinking and when I got to the last part about the water, I thought to myself, "Geez, to think my husband told me to drink out of the water heater in case of emergency..." Well, I suppose it could have been worse. He could have said the toilet tank.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FM9OBQS

I keep about 36 gallons (6 x 6 pack) of the Costco Kirkland 1 gallon water jugs and rotate them every year, in addition to the smaller bottled water packs.  I store some of the Kirkland water jugs in the backyard (inside storage bin) and can testify that even after 12 months and through summer heat, they still taste fresh without any scent of plastic.

I would HIGHLY recommend renting in the area that you are interested in buying at.  It's a great cheap preview and you can take your time to find the right home.  The $1.5m+ market has slowed down a good bit so prices aren't going anywhere other than inching down.  You should look at Quail Hill, Laguna Altura, Hidden Caynon, Turtle Ridge, Newport Coast, Orchard Hills, and Turtle Rock. 

B2FiNiTY said:
With that budget, I'd move to newport coast. It's a bit longer of a drive but well worth it.

I moved from newport to irvine and although Irvine is more convenient, the newport environment is more quiet and plush. Just a minute away from PCH is bliss for me.

ditto on newport coast if this is indeed "final home"

USCTrojanCPA said:
I would HIGHLY recommend renting in the area that you are interested in buying at.  It's a great cheap preview and you can take your time to find the right home.  The $1.5m+ market has slowed down a good bit so prices aren't going anywhere other than inching down.  You should look at Quail Hill, Laguna Altura, Hidden Caynon, Turtle Ridge, Newport Coast, Orchard Hills, and Turtle Rock.

Definitely agree. ESP if you are new to the area and looking for a "final" home you want to learn about the area first hand, take your time and make an educated choice on a home you'll be happy with for decades. Good luck! Overall OC is a wonderful place to live and we are all truly blessed to live in such a beautiful area compared to most places in the world.

capboba said:
B2FiNiTY said:

What's wrong with Irvine as a final home?

:)

irvinehomeowner said:
capboba said:
B2FiNiTY said:

What's wrong with Irvine as a final home?

:)
I can pick a few cities that  I actually think are nicer places to raise kids than Newport. Newport is where I go when my kids are older and I'm retired. I think irvine and most of the south county cities are actually better places to raise your kids. Given the op mentioned no kids yet, but implied an interest in future kids, I would recommend Irvine (and I don't consider myself an Irvine homer, but maybe I am).

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your input. It was really helpful. It looks like we can't really go wrong with either newport or irvine. I think we have to decide how important our kids' education is and if we trust them to avoid whatever pressures may arise in newport schools. Don't think we'd be able to afford private school in newport, so it'd be newport elementary and CDM high school vs the irvine schools. I'd like to think my kids would be strong enough to avoid social pressures, but I am sure everyone thinks that about his/her kids.

If it's Irvine, I think it'll be Turtle Rock/Ridge or Quail Hill. Orchard Hills, Portola seem a bit detached/impersonal to us and reminds us of a depressing urban sprawl, but that's just our taste.

One question: if one buys a home and the home is in a certain school district, is there any way to guarantee that one's kids go to the same schools as was delineated at the time of purchase? Specifically, one reason we are also shying away from places like Hidden Canyon, Portola, and Orchard Hills is that the school zoning seems to be frequently in flux and we would hate to buy a home expecting to get University/Northwood and then years later, find out that we are in a less desired school district.

Thanks again for all of your wise words.

Zoning to HS change all the time (usually as demographics and school enrollments change), however, the closer you are to the school, the less likely they will zone you to a different school.  So would probably rule out most houses that are in between 2 HS.

Back