Moving/Buying in Irvine - Need Advice!

potsticker

Hi folks,

I can't tell you all how thrilled I am to have stumbled on this community. I've spent the past 48 hours scouring through posts and I've learned a ton!

My parents are retired and have decided to relocate to Irvine (from San Luis Obispo) to be closer to family. I spent this past weekend with my parents visiting several new home communities (Beacon Park, Orchard Hills, Stonegate, Eastwood, and Tustin Legacy). I currently live in the Bay Area and am not at all familiar with the Irvine area. I wasn't comfortable moving forward purchasing without understanding more about all these communities.

I've heard Stonegate/Eastwood is top-notch, but after visiting it didn't seem like anything special. Orchard Hills was very nice (really pretty w/ the trees and also seemed quiet). Lennar at Beacon Park seems to offer a lot of upgrades but should we be concerned with the Vets cemetery and potential soil contamination?

Asking the community...how would you rank the developments we have visited? I'm sure there are pros/cons to teach, and I'd love to hear them. Have we missed any developments that we should visit? Orchard Hills (Strada) seemed like the best option and the one my parents liked the most.

Price range is $1m-$1.2m. Bedroom on the main floor is a requirement. 2,500 sq ft and 3 or 4 bedrooms would be suitable. Preferably new.

Thanks in advance all...looking forward to hearing your feedback.

There are many Irvine experts in this board but as you have, you should research more on the mentioned communities and decide for yourself...

If you and your parents like Strada and meet all the necessary stuff, then go for it...  Many talked about Irvine (especially new neighborhoods) being too Asian, too Chinese, or too FOBs.  So you should expect that also but if you are from Bay area... it may be less like that in Irvine depending on where you live now...

So your price range

Eastwood - right now has a great location

Beacon park - up and coming.. but so many unknowns.  Cemetery?  High MRs

PS - Cemetery? 

If cemetery doesn't matter.. PS has great "value"

By the time the cemetery gets built, Potsticker's parents will be dead.

I vote for a village that is relatively flat and walkable to a shopping center.  As your parents age, they won't want to scale the hills of OH or PS.

I'd also look into condos vs. SFH so they don't have to take care of a yard.

Have you looked at Laguna Woods?

Back