Movies and Movie Theaters

Just saw "Enchanted" at the District AMC. $17 for two people to go to a matinee. Gawd. That's a whole month of unlimited Netflix! Anyway, the movie was absolutely delightful, once you get past the high price of getting in the door. Amy Adams was great in "Junebug" but I had no idea just how great until I saw "Enchanted." This is a great movie for both kids and adults. Very clever, entertaining, and well-acted and choreographed. I'm glad I saw it - I'm still smiling!

<p>Starplex is way cheaper if you don't mind waiting awhile for the movies to trickle down. $1 ticket on a Tuesday.</p>

<p>http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=20986976</p>

I've been to Starplex 3 times. Each and every time, they have had significant technical difficulties getting the movies up and running. One time it took them 40 minutes to fix it, and then the sound went out! So for me personally, I'd rather pay full price and get a pretty much guaranteed good experience than waste my time and get frustrated. Granted, the technical difficulties may not alway occur, but in my world if it happens three times in a row, it's validated.

<p>I agree with Blue Fire. The Movie tickets alone are worth the price. 12 tickets (2 tickets for each) for Regal and you just bring the coupon. You can buy the book at Bed Bath and Beyond as well as the internet. Also, the restaurants are amazing as well. Here are a few of them.. </p>

<p>Melting Pot</p>

<p>The White House </p>

<p>Kojis</p>

<p> PJ Abbey </p>

<p>Orange County Minning Co.</p>

<p>I kinda want to see Enchanted because I'm a fan of the songwriters: Alan Menken (Little Shop of Horrors, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast) and Stephen Schwartz (Children of Eden, Godspell, Wicked). I find I can stomach movie musicals much easier when Broadway-trained talent is used. A visionary director helps, too, but at least I know the songs will be good.</p>

<p>However, getting my husband to go see it with me will prove a challenge. My not-yet-2-year-old niece doesn't sit through movies yet. I might have to wait through the Netflix queue for this one.</p>

<p>Pierside in HB is $7 each for evening shows. It's not crowded and has first run flicks.</p>

<p>Regency Charter Centre on Warner @ Beach Blvd does $3 shows delayed run. A little worn, but no major technical difficulties. Worth seeing big screen for those you don't get around to that may not be as good on your home screen. </p>

cayci --- tell your husband not to fear, I went to go see Enchanted with my wife and 4 year old daughter last Friday @ the District AMC --- and had a great time. I have to admit, it was really good. But after it was over I did feel like I probably should walk over to Lucille's and renew my man-card with a plate of ribs and a shot of Patron.

<p>FYI, dood is my husband.</p>

<p>And at least we didn't pay to see Transformers. Josh Duhamel was still hot though. </p>

<p> </p>

Resurrecting this thread to post:

The Mrs. and I saw <strong><a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421715/">The Curious Case of Benjamin Button</a></strong> last night at the District.

We liked it. Curiously, for those of you that have seen it, I know someone who has been struck by lightning 3 times, but not 7.

I thought Benjamin Button was well-done, but too weird. And I really don't like Brad Pitt (and yes, I'm straight; he's just too pouty for me) but thought he was quite good here.

<a href="http://www.google.com/movies/reviews?cid=bf299537f656edd2&hl=en&fq=slumdog+millionare&sa=X&oi=showtimes&ct=reviews&cd=1">Slumdog Millionare</a>

I'm not into Balliwood movies. Hell, I don't even like game shows. But this movie..........is the best I've seen in years.

Every year, my wife and I go see all the movies that get a nomination in one of the "major" 6 categories: actor/actress, supporting actor/actress, picture, and director. We usually start by seeing a lot of movies in December before the nominations come out. We do this to have fun on Oscar night, to have fun seeing movies, and as an excuse to see movies we might otherwise skip. We have been surprised by some wonderful movies this way.

So far this year we have seen a lot. These are ones we saw that might be involved in the major nominations. They are all worth seeing:

Slumdog Millionaire, Gran Torino, Benjamin Button, The Reader, The Wrestler, Revolutionary Road, Frost/Nixon, Wall-E, Batman, Milk, and maybe something else I can't remember. We haven't seen Doubt yet.

FWIW, I agree with both no_vas and ISM. Here are my opinions on these movies. It is worth what you are paying for it. :)

Slumdog was the best of these movies, in that it was the most emotional and was easy to connect to. If you see this movie and don't get emotional, you are stone. If you only see one movie this year, make it this one. The director has done movies in a wide variety of genres, and most of them are really good.

While watching Benjamin Button, it felt like a copy of Forest Gump to me. Afterwards, I saw that it was written by the same guy. The movie was beautiful looking, but I didn't emotionally connect to it. I wanted it to say something profound, but it didn't. A movie about living life backwards seems ripe for something to say, but this movie was "just" a romance. That would be fine, but I was expecting more. I don't think Pitt is a good enough actor to elevate the movie.

Gran Torino, The Reader, The Wrestler, Revolutionary Road, and Wall-E are the best of the rest. Clint Eastwood, Kate Winslet (x2), Leonardo DiCaprio, Mickey Rourke, and Marisa Tomei did amazing acting jobs. Milk was a good movie, but not as good as these others. Sean Penn was fantastic in it. He can be annoying, but he wasn't here - he was great. Wall-E was a great movie and is my second choice for best picture. Frost/Nixon was interesting, but wasn't one I emotionally connected to. Heath Ledger was great as the Joker, but otherwise Batman was just so-so.

Update, for those that care. Now that the Oscar nominations are out, I have a few more movies to see.

Since my previous post, I have seen Doubt and The Visitor. IMHO, Doubt is overrated. It is thought-provoking, but it is another movie where I didn't actually care about any of the characters. I don't like movies like that. The Visitor, however, was phenomenal. I put this in the running with Slumdog for my favorite movie of the year. The Visitor is a slower-paced movie, but it was wonderful. I can now see why it is on so many top-10 lists. Go rent it!

I still haven't seen The Changling, Frozen River, and Vicky Christina Barcelona. I will see the first two when they come out on DVD, but I won't watch the third. Ever since Woody Allen married who was essentially his adopted daughter, I refuse to watch his movies. What he did should be illegal.

[quote author="T!m" date=1233037986]Ever since Woody Allen married who was essentially his adopted daughter, I refuse to watch his movies. What he did should be illegal.</blockquote>

Do you feel the same way about Roman Polanski films? They are both child sexual offenders only difference is W. Allen married his victim. (See also Allen's relationship with his adopted daughter, Malone.)

Back