movers

jyeh74

what has been your guys experience with movers to brand new homes? A lot of them won't take off their shoes so does it mean you have to personally cover the floors with papers yourself? Home Depot?

I was recommended to Craig's Movers. Yelp shows they are decent but anyone have personal experience they can share?

its unrealistic to have movers take their shoes off. socks on tile carrying heavy things is not good. even socks on carpet can cause a mis-step. then when they get to your door with a heavy item they have to put the item down, take of their shoes, pick up heavy item.

what we did is we put down the brown paper (on tile) and those clear plastic rolls (on carpet) from home depot with adhesive on one side. we laid down pretty much every where they would walk and it worked out very well.

Just used Rich Nelson Movers.  Clean, efficient and on time.  We had to put our belongings into pods so they are helping us move from the pods to our home soon.  The quote was hourly and the guys worked fast. Be aware that they have you read and see if you want added insurance.  In our case it didn't cover the pods anyway so I declined.  Also, they laid down plastic on our stairs and wore shoe covers.

Sweaty stinky socks or dusty shoes?  Sweat will be absorbed into the carpet, where as dust and dirt can be vacuumed up later, unless you like essence of Jose in your house, keep the shoes on.

qwerty said:
its unrealistic to have movers take their shoes off. socks on tile carrying heavy things is not good. even socks on carpet can cause a mis-step. then when they get to your door with a heavy item they have to put the item down, take of their shoes, pick up heavy item.

You are exactly right. It would create unsafe working conditions to not wear a close-toed shoe. Imagine rolling a dolly loaded with 250 lbs. over your toes... or a heavy bureau coming to rest on the top of your foot. It is crazy to ask them to remove their shoes. Safety first.

irvineboy said:
you have to personally cover the floors with papers yourself?

Many (/most?) movers bring along their own floor protection. It is not going to be absolutely perfect but it helps. When you talk to your movers, just confirm that it's included.

I used OC Movers and they wore booties and put down blankets.  I also had laid down brown paper on the floors and sticky plastic on the stairs.

Tyrone Biggums said:
I used OC Movers and they wore booties and put down blankets.  I also had laid down brown paper on the floors and sticky plastic on the stairs.

Tyrone, these guys?  I hope these reviews aren't indicative of their service.http://www.yelp.com/biz/oc-movers-irvine

did you pay extra for the paper and plastic or had to get them yourself?
Booties in the house and then to the truck or did they actually put them on before they entered the house?  Most wont do that as a liability issue.

Did they disassemble and reassemble furniture?

We send most of our moving business to Costa Mesa Moving Company.  I believe they put down plastic if you request it, but you do have to pay for it.

[quote author=shadyoc
Tyrone, these guys?  I hope these reviews aren't indicative of their service.http://www.yelp.com/biz/oc-movers-irvine

did you pay extra for the paper and plastic or had to get them yourself?
Booties in the house and then to the truck or did they actually put them on before they entered the house?  Most wont do that as a liability issue.

Did they disassemble and reassemble furniture?
[/quote]

Nope, actually its Affordable Moving & Storage, but their webpage is ocmovers.com.  My co-worker's husband is the owner of the company.  Hugh and Carlos are their top rated movers so request to have either one of them.  Carlos is the veteran with something like 16yrs experience.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/affordable-moving-and-storage-tustin?osq=oc+movers

I installed sticky plastic on the stairs and paper on the wood prior to them arriving.  They use cardboard and mover's blanket to cover the floors if you don't cover it yourself.  I requested at the time of setting up the appointments that they wear booties, which I supplied.  I used them for both of my moves this year and both times their movers wore the booties.  I didn't mind that they didn't take the booties going from their truck to my doorstep.  However, I had to keep giving them new booties because the ones they were wearing would wear out after a few trips back and forth.  Since my floors were completely covered, the booties just provided extra protection for my OCD.

They did do some assembling, for example, I had brand new laundry pedestals and they installed both washer and dryer on them and made sure they were level.  They took off the handles off the refrigerator.  Most of my furniture I disassembled myself since they charge by the hour.

Back