Most fashionable city in America is ....

I thought this was a late April Fool's joke but:
Bundle" said:
Here at Bundle, we wanted to determine which U.S. cities were the most and least fashionable. One might expect trendsetting New York City and fashion-forward Los Angeles to top the list, but we wanted to use our data to see where big cities really ranked on our fashion meter.

To do this, we selected the 50 largest cities by population in our data set and created a fashion-conscious index, with 1.0 being average. We based our index on the percentage of "fashion-conscious households" in our sample, which we defined as households that had at least four transactions at top-end designer merchants in the past 30 months.

Coming in at an unexpected number one was Irvine, CA, which ranked nearly four times above the U.S. average in clothing spending. Home of the OC and one of the richest cities in America, Irvine residents can certainly afford those designer duds.
I still think there must be something wrong with the data they used... or maybe it's old data because PStar moved so next year the city he's in will be #1.

according to the article, it's based on the number of transactions at high end stores within a 30 month period. perhaps designer handbag purchases by irvine ladies and irvine men for the irvine ladies skew the data?

Yes... this data is clearly PStar family biased.

The IHO family contributes nothing to this... actually... Mrs. IHO may be a small percentage but she hides those receipts from me.

"Uh... is that new?"
"No... I bought this a looong time ago."
"So why is it still in the shopping bag?"
"Uh... the shopoing bag is old too!'

I can't do that with a new big screen TV.

no contribution here either. husband got new 60" and home theater for our anniversary... how romantic.

Patrick J. Star said:
kalbi said:
no contribution here either. husband got new 60" and home theater for our anniversary... how romantic.

Let me know if you need me to have a talk with him.  I had to have this talk with my brother in law a year or so ago. His wife finally grew weary of his electronics habit while she was saddled with carrying Coach and DB.  After a lengthy explanation of "Happy Wife, Happy Life" he paid a visit to the nearest Louis Vuitton and corrected the error of his ways.  I'm very pleased to know that in some small way (around $2k) I have helped to improve the quality of their marriage. 

My wife went through a sprint where she had the LV and Gucci bag bug.  After a few years she started selling most of them off (she made a lot of her money back) and now only buys non top-tier luxury bags.  Maybe it is a little like drinking in college.  You overdo it at first and then realize you don't need it to have fun.  Me on the other hand still has an electronics 'problem'.  :) 

Luckily... Mrs. IHO is content with lower tier MK purses. I think she figures the less she spends on accessories, the more she can spend on jewelry and clothes.

It's the Chinese people in Irvine that are buying most of these designer clothes, handbags etc. than anyone else! To them, it's cheaper than buying from their homeland, such as in Shanghai.

jamboreedude said:
It's the Chinese people in Irvine that are buying most of these designer clothes, handbags etc. than anyone else! To them, it's cheaper than buying from their homeland, such as in Shanghai.
Or.... they are buying them to send them back to the sweatshops to get copied.

(does that still happen?)

Ugh! Must be hard for those realtors to edit their listing details.. "safest and most fashionable city in America".
My contribution.. probably not much. If Costco is doing well, I would take credit though.

Irvine Chinese are wealthy. They paid cash for their homes and still plenty cash left for SCP spending spree. I always knew those Darth shields are fashionable statement.

Was just going to post the article. Definitely interesting but it seems like they define being fashionable by $ spent on clothing.

they are measuring the amount spent, which is definitely not an indicator of taste or style - just means many irvinites buy designer brands at retail prices

so really, tells you that irvine shoppers dont know how to spot a deal

Patrick J. Star said:
rkp said:
they are measuring the amount spent, which is definitely not an indicator of taste or style - just means many irvinites buy designer brands at retail prices

Did you mean to post this comment in the San Mateo/motorcourt thread?
Quoted for laughosity!

Patrick J. Star said:
rkp said:

Did you mean to post this comment in the San Mateo/motorcourt thread?

bazinga! you got me

Back