Mortgage to Income

Gohabsgo_IHB

I read a few times about the 28% of gross rule or 40% of net, but I'm questionning if that's what people usually do.

Are these percentages applciable to mortgage payment or total cost to own (HOA, Mello-Roos, Taxes, insurance, etc.)?

Is that what most people do now or what do you typically see?

[quote author="Roo" date=1249702375]I read a few times about the 28% of gross rule or 40% of net, but I'm questionning if that's what people usually do.

Are these percentages applciable to mortgage payment or total cost to own (HOA, Mello-Roos, Taxes, insurance, etc.)?

Is that what most people do now or what do you typically see?</blockquote>

i think those %'s apply to total cost to own (principal, interest, insurance, taxes (including mello-roos) and HOA)

Another question: What is a typical Loan to income (assuming 20% down). I guess interest rate will be a big factor as you currently can get more than if interest rates are at 8%.

I'm coming up with a factor of 3.0....sounds about right? Why did I have 4.0 in mind...way to set expectations too high!

[quote author="qwerty" date=1249702780][quote author="Roo" date=1249702375]I read a few times about the 28% of gross rule or 40% of net, but I'm questionning if that's what people usually do.

Is that what most people do now or what do you typically see?</blockquote>

i think those %'s apply to total cost to own (principal, interest, insurance, taxes (including mello-roos) and HOA)</blockquote>

Before or after interest rate deduction?

[quote author="Roo" date=1249704554]Another question: What is a typical Loan to income (assuming 20% down). I guess interest rate will be a big factor as you currently can get more than if interest rates are at 8%.

I'm coming up with a factor of 3.0....sounds about right? Why did I have 4.0 in mind...way to set expectations too high!</blockquote>

3X is considered "sane", 4X is where CA has been for years.

Back