Mortgage Rate 4%-4.5% for 30-year fixed ????

gld42_IHB

Is it real?

Heard the news from CNBC today, FED/Gov will ask or work with lender to make sure the 30-year mortgage rate will be at somewhere 4-4.5%. I could not believe that FED would do that, however it might be true. Any comments on how the very very low mortgage rate will impact RE market?

[quote author="hbguybill" date=1228404661]I think this is only for people currently in loans to keep them from foreclosure. I don't think this applies to new loans</blockquote>

If it does only apply to workouts, it is probably a good solution. If they open the door to new buyers, it will just drag this crisis out indefinitely.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1228436383][quote author="hbguybill" date=1228404661]I think this is only for people currently in loans to keep them from foreclosure. I don't think this applies to new loans</blockquote>

If it does only apply to workouts, it is probably a good solution. If they open the door to new buyers, it will just drag this crisis out indefinitely.</blockquote>
Yup, the gov't will basically help to create a lost decade for us just like Japan. I know there would be more pain in just letting prices come down to where they should be normally but it would enable us to get things over with a lot quicker and move on.

[quote author="Hormiguero" date=1228442647]this is actually a normal rate relative to current treasury prices, strange as that seems. welcome to japan 1996.</blockquote>
The reality is a mortgage rate of 4% versus 6% saves you 21% in mortgage costs so maybe that is enough to slow down the price declines. The problem is what happens when interest rates rise back to 6% or 8%? Real Estate Crash Part II?

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1228444692][quote author="Hormiguero" date=1228442647]this is actually a normal rate relative to current treasury prices, strange as that seems. welcome to japan 1996.</blockquote>
The reality is a mortgage rate of 4% versus 6% saves you 21% in mortgage costs so maybe that is enough to slow down the price declines. The problem is what happens when interest rates rise back to 6% or 8%? Real Estate Crash Part II?</blockquote>

Exactly. Plus, there will be an unwillingness to buy at very low interest rates among more savvy buyers because they realize that their take-out buyer will face higher interest rates and thereby lower offering prices.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1228444846][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1228444692][quote author="Hormiguero" date=1228442647]this is actually a normal rate relative to current treasury prices, strange as that seems. welcome to japan 1996.</blockquote>
The reality is a mortgage rate of 4% versus 6% saves you 21% in mortgage costs so maybe that is enough to slow down the price declines. The problem is what happens when interest rates rise back to 6% or 8%? Real Estate Crash Part II?</blockquote>

Exactly. Plus, there will be an unwillingness to buy at very low interest rates among more savvy buyers because they realize that their take-out buyer will face higher interest rates and thereby lower offering prices.</blockquote>
Yup, you would be stuck in home for a long, long time.

According to the news, it seems 4% is not only for workouts, but also for normal transactions!!!! Mortgage applications soared in the past a few weeks due to low mortgage rates, GOV will lower mortgage rates to slow down the housing price decline. I hope it will not happen, cause it will create so many problems, crisis might be delayed, but will get deeper and deeper.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1228444692][quote author="Hormiguero" date=1228442647]this is actually a normal rate relative to current treasury prices, strange as that seems. welcome to japan 1996.</blockquote>

"According to the news, it seems 4% is not only for workouts, but also for normal transactions!!!! Mortgage applications soared in the past a few weeks due to low mortgage rates, GOV will lower mortgage rates to slow down the housing price decline. I hope it will not happen, cause it will create so many problems, crisis might be delayed, but will get deeper and deeper."

If this is the case, then the government may essentially be trying to neutralize the housing deflation "problem" and buy time for the economy to readjust to its new paradigm; that is, a new economy based not so much on the trading of debt and the artificial stimulus of HELOC abuse. So, the government steps in and tinkers with the mortgage rates, helps slow down house price declines over the next few years (during ARM explosion period) and suckers people into believing that maybe, just maybe, housing will return to the good 'ole days. Less people walk away from their homes (which means less immediate bank/tax payer losses) and people on the sidelines are less apprehensive to jump in because the prices will have appeared to stabilize. Meanwhile, the economy recovers and becomes stable. THEN the government slowly raises rates to the natural rate dictated by the market. At that point inflation will be back to its historical normal 8% (and would be climbing upwards I would bet!) and this will exert downward pressure on house prices, thus ushering in phase two of the bubble burst.

The battle with the enemy of deliquent mortgages is delayed for another day. A familiar and very old strategy.

Is it possible that when the fundamentals for home ownership finally become favorable as outlined in IR's book, the financially responsible renter-types may be purchasing with a 50% down payment and a 15 year fixed rate loan?

[quote author="hbguybill" date=1228404661]I think this is only for people currently in loans to keep them from foreclosure. I don't think this applies to new loans</blockquote>

I thought it was for new home purchases ONLY. I heard the 4.5% would not be applied to re-fi's ?

[quote author="BMP 309" date=1228487779][quote author="hbguybill" date=1228404661]I think this is only for people currently in loans to keep them from foreclosure. I don't think this applies to new loans</blockquote>

I thought it was for new home purchases ONLY. I heard the 4.5% would not be applied to re-fi's ?</blockquote>

That's what I heard too, but refi rates were as low as 4.875 last week with ~2 points. I also read that they were planning more tax incentives for first time buyers, up to the tune of $22,000. Add in how much more is going to principal when you have a 4.5 rate, then you aren't necessarily stuck in the home in 5-7 years.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1228510970][quote author="BMP 309" date=1228487779][quote author="hbguybill" date=1228404661]I think this is only for people currently in loans to keep them from foreclosure. I don't think this applies to new loans</blockquote>

I thought it was for new home purchases ONLY. I heard the 4.5% would not be applied to re-fi's ?</blockquote>

That's what I heard too, but refi rates were as low as 4.875 last week with ~2 points. I also read that they were planning more tax incentives for first time buyers, up to the tune of $22,000. Add in how much more is going to principal when you have a 4.5 rate, then you aren't necessarily stuck in the home in 5-7 years.</blockquote>

That last bit assumes that people who refi do so to a shorter term, or make extra principal payments.

Based on the evidence of the last six years of HELOC abuse, etc, by the general population, that does not seem likely to me.

Will current price reach a own-rent breakeven point at 4.5% rate?

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1228510970][quote author="BMP 309" date=1228487779][quote author="hbguybill" date=1228404661]I think this is only for people currently in loans to keep them from foreclosure. I don't think this applies to new loans</blockquote>

That's what I heard too, but refi rates were as low as 4.875 last week with ~2 points. I also read that they were planning more tax incentives for first time buyers, up to the tune of $22,000. Add in how much more is going to principal when you have a 4.5 rate, then you aren't necessarily stuck in the home in 5-7 years.</blockquote>

$600k irvine 3/2, say rent @~$2500, pi (20%dp, 4.5% rate) = ~$2500. ti =~$12k/yr or $1k/mo so $3500 to buy.

(oh, in case you are going to ask about taxes...say $2k is interest, so that is ~$500/mo off)

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1228537854][quote author="stepping_up" date=1228510970][quote author="BMP 309" date=1228487779][quote author="hbguybill" date=1228404661]I think this is only for people currently in loans to keep them from foreclosure. I don't think this applies to new loans</blockquote>

That last bit assumes that people who refi do so to a shorter term, or make extra principal payments.

Based on the evidence of the last six years of HELOC abuse, etc, by the general population, that does not seem likely to me.</blockquote>

I ran the numbers on what was going to principal on a 30 year fixed loan without extra payments... at that rate you have a nice bit right away going to principal.

If rates get into the 3% range and/or prices come down another 20%+ (as long as I am comfortable about having a job), I'll go ahead and pull the trigger.

Back