Mortgage Equity Accelerator Program? Good or Bad?

CTNative

I have a 30 year fixed mortgage that just started in the Fall of last year. I have been receiving offers to sign up for "The Equity Accelerator" program which I believe is a third-party company.

The program claims that by having my monthly mortgage payment that is due the first of every month paid twice monthly instead (50% of the monthly payment X2 per month), I would save in the ballpark of $80,000 in interest payments over the life of the loan and have it paid off in 25 years instead of 30.

It would seem this would work because instead of paying...let's say $2,000 on the 1st, I would be paying $1,000 on the 15th and another $1,000 on the 1st, therefore for 15 days I would not be paying interest on the first $1,000 I paid. Multiple that 15 days of not paying interest on half your mortgage payment each month, for 30 years of months and VOILA! $80K in my pocket. Or so it would seem.

In researching this online, there seems to be a lot of resistance to this plan. First, because it charges $295 up front and then a $5.42 fee each month. Certainly I would not expect it to be free, but there were complaints anyway, mostly about the monthly fee. Second, everyone pointed out the obvious fact that anyone could do this themselves, or alternatively, could make 13 payments a year instead of 12, or take what they pay per month, divide by 12, and add that to their payment each month, or do both, or on and on and on.... Third, someone commented that the program does not actually make two payments split up like I describe above - it just collects it and makes the payment on the 1st just like I would anyway. Of course, I don't know how that could be possible and still save me money.

I noticed something else. In making my payments each month without this program, I noticed that as soon as I make a payment, I get the next month's statement from the bank. So as soon as I got it, I paid it. And then I immediately received the month following that month's statement. I was at the point where I had paid three months of mortgage in advance. This taught me that the bank does not wait until "the month" the payment is due to send the statement, but will send them as fast as you pay them. I am curious if this is just as advantageous in reducing total interest because if I am paying, for example, December's payment in September, then that means I will not be paying the interest on that December payment that I would have accrued in October and November. If anyone agrees that this is a true statement, please let me know.

As far as the program goes and its detractors, I agree that people could just make two payments themselves but people have to be disciplined enough to make those two payments (or any of the other ways to do it yourself) on their own, and most aren't, so paying for an automated service could be useful in that regard. That said, I would be concerned that the bank would not know what to do with a "half-payment" if I made it by myself without the program. They might just make that an "extra" equity payment slapped on the back of the mortgage and the total mortgage would still be due on the 1st.

Lastly, if it is such a good idea to split a monthly payment in half, why not in fourths? Hell, why not daily? We've all played with interest calculators and seen the difference in accrued interest when we try compounding it quarterly, monthly, weekly or daily. Considering the electronic age we live in, why is there not a program that does an automated electronic daily transfer eliminating interest on that amount everyday? Just a thought.

Any input or thoughts would be appreciated on the concept of the equity accelerator program or other means of reducing total interest.

I believe you can set up this type of payment with your bank for free... but some may not post it correctly to save you the interest... you should talk to your mortgage holder.

3rd party accelerators are a "scam" due to the fees they charge.

I believe part of the difference is that you're "accelerated" to make a payment every two weeks (which they round-up to "twice a month"). That means you're making 26 payments per year, not 24 or 12. The interest savings is very real, though, over the life of the loan.

I suggest an alternative to reduce your principle balance without fees, which I think is what you were mentioning... pay more than the minimum each month.  This is what we do on our own mortgage.  Our standard payment is at ~$1500/month. Depending upon the month's business activity, I can pay exactly that amount, or hopefully round up to $2000 or $3000.
I'd recommend that you confirm that the overpayment is allowed without penalty, and that it is to be credited towards your principle.

There is no good reason that I know of to sign up for the accelerator programs.

-IR2

I do what IR does. When we bought the house, the interest rate was 6.125%. Then we refinanced, and the monthly mortgage went down- but we sent the same amount as before. Mortgage has come down significantly with that, and in case circumstances change, we have the choice of making the regular low payment.

I've always wondered about prepaying mortgages because it seems counter to my rational thinking. 

For example, you buy a house for 500k and finance 400k.  The value goes up to 600k after a few years and you want to sell.  Your gain is 100k regardless of whether you made the minimum montly payments or you prepaid any principal.  Whether you still owe 350k or 200k on your mortgage doesn't really matter, because your gain is still 100k.  So the benefit of the prepayments is that you built up more equity in your house...

But here's where it doesn't quite make sense to me.  Mortgage interest is about the cheapest form of credit you can get, in addition to being tax deductible (for most people).  Particularly if youre using other forms of credit, it seems counterintuitive to pay down your mortgage balance.  It ends up tying more of your wealth in something that's not so liquid. 

Why not put that money into other investment vehicles?  You may or may not beat your home appreciation rate, but you still get the home appreciation regardless of how much you prepay.  If you put the money elsewhere, you also gain the benefits of diversification.

So my question to you folks is:

Why would you prepay your mortgage, especially if you don't plan to live in the house for the life of the loan?  Now I get that you're building equity, and prepaying your mortgage is a form of saving... and I also understand that some people prefer to pay down all debt as quickly as possible...  but is that it?  Or is there something else that I'm missing?

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Based on the responses I'm going to avoid the accelerator program and do some combination of all of the aforementioned payment styles. I'll make sure that I can do all of this without penalty of course (pretty sure I can), so I'll just make a higher payment every month that its possible for me to do so, and an extra payment per year if I can.

THANKS ALL!

vinhster said:
Why would you prepay your mortgage, especially if you don't plan to live in the house for the life of the loan?  Now I get that you're building equity, and prepaying your mortgage is a form of saving... and I also understand that some people prefer to pay down all debt as quickly as possible...  but is that it?  Or is there something else that I'm missing?

I agree with you with the caveats you mentioned. I would wonder why someone would pay it off faster if they did not plan on living in it for the life of the loan, just doesn't seem that over 5 or so years the savings would make that much difference and you could potentially do more with your money at a better rate of return.

There is also Peter Schiff talking about "inflating away the debt" which I think I understand, but I'm not entirely sure. I get that inflation will devalue the dollar, so every dollar I owe to the bank gets smaller and smaller in value. But wouldn't that only matter if inflation was boosting my income at the same time. If inflation goes up to 15% and I don't get a 15% raise in my income, then isn't that apples to apples when I pay my mortgage? If my income doesn't go up, then the dollars of my income are being destroyed at the same rate as the value of the dollars I owe on the mortgage (with no offset from an increase in my rate of pay), so where is my advantage due to inflation?

Anyway, my personal situation is to stay here the life of the loan and primarily due to that I am interested in paying the loan off as fast as possible. The sooner I own the property free and clear, the happier I will be knowing that all I ever have to pay is my tribute to the Government for allowing me to lease the land I "own." Add water, fuel and food and I won't be much worried about unemployment because just about any job will cover all of those expenses.

CTNative said:
The sooner I own the property free and clear, the happier I will be knowing that all I ever have to pay is my tribute to the Government for allowing me to lease the land I "own."

I_VOLUNTEER!.gif

HA! I knew which movie you were referencing, and even what she is saying because it's taken on a life of its own, but never having seen the movie, I wanted to wait to respond until I'd seen it.

Now I have seen it.

To avoid volunteering in the future I have taken everyone's advice and I am making a larger monthly payment that will equal one additional mortgage payment per year, and not going with the accelerator program. I'm also buying silver and gold, but that is a different story. ;)

----------------------------

Attention Orange County - I will pay my remaining 2012 tribute by the end of this month as per your requirement. Please allow me to continue to live on rent "my" "private" property.

CTNative said:
vinhster said:

I agree with you with the caveats you mentioned. I would wonder why someone would pay it off faster if they did not plan on living in it for the life of the loan, just doesn't seem that over 5 or so years the savings would make that much difference and you could potentially do more with your money at a better rate of return.

There is also Peter Schiff talking about "inflating away the debt" which I think I understand, but I'm not entirely sure. I get that inflation will devalue the dollar, so every dollar I owe to the bank gets smaller and smaller in value. But wouldn't that only matter if inflation was boosting my income at the same time. If inflation goes up to 15% and I don't get a 15% raise in my income, then isn't that apples to apples when I pay my mortgage? If my income doesn't go up, then the dollars of my income are being destroyed at the same rate as the value of the dollars I owe on the mortgage (with no offset from an increase in my rate of pay), so where is my advantage due to inflation?

Anyway, my personal situation is to stay here the life of the loan and primarily due to that I am interested in paying the loan off as fast as possible. The sooner I own the property free and clear, the happier I will be knowing that all I ever have to pay is my tribute to the Government for allowing me to lease the land I "own." Add water, fuel and food and I won't be much worried about unemployment because just about any job will cover all of those expenses.

i think the only ppl who would want to do this is if their interest rate was locked at pre-recession interest at 6-7% who cant get out of their loan and/or cant refinance...

anything around 3% interest is pretty much borrowing money for free... for someone with around 3% interest to do something like this my best bet is that he/she is trying to write-off/offset rental gains

vinhster said:
I've always wondered about prepaying mortgages because it seems counter to my rational thinking. 

For example, you buy a house for 500k and finance 400k.  The value goes up to 600k after a few years and you want to sell.  Your gain is 100k regardless of whether you made the minimum montly payments or you prepaid any principal.  Whether you still owe 350k or 200k on your mortgage doesn't really matter, because your gain is still 100k.  So the benefit of the prepayments is that you built up more equity in your house...

But here's where it doesn't quite make sense to me.  Mortgage interest is about the cheapest form of credit you can get, in addition to being tax deductible (for most people).  Particularly if youre using other forms of credit, it seems counterintuitive to pay down your mortgage balance.  It ends up tying more of your wealth in something that's not so liquid. 

Why not put that money into other investment vehicles?  You may or may not beat your home appreciation rate, but you still get the home appreciation regardless of how much you prepay.  If you put the money elsewhere, you also gain the benefits of diversification.

So my question to you folks is:

Way back in college, my economics professor said that when buying a house you should make the lowest monthly payment you can since the bank is basically letting you live and use an appreciating asset on their dime.  The longer you have it, the more it is worth generally.  In addition you get the tax benefit and you are keeping as much of your income liquid for other investment opportunities.

Even though it what he said makes sense, I still want to pay it off and not have that debt hanging over my head.  Guess that is why I am not a gazillionaire...

Back