More Republican lies about the Bridge to Nowhere!

WINEX_IHB

This is getting out of hand.

<a href="http://www.retireted.com/teds-connections/earmarks/">Look at this outrageous claim!</a>

<em>

Alaska?s delegation caused a national uproar for earmarking $452 million for two expensive bridges near Ketchikan and Anchorage; the amount appropriated would cover only part of the costs. Gov. Palin recently cancelled the Gravina Island Bridge near Ketchikan that would have connected the Alaska mainland with Gravina Island (population: 50).

</em>

We all know this is Republican spin!

Fortunately these Republican spinmeisters left contact information at the bottom of the page. Send your complaints about these vicious lies to:

Paid for by the Alaska Democratic Party - Not authorized by any candidate or candidate committee

2602 Fairbanks Street | Anchorage, AK 99503-2428

Tel (907) 258-3050 | Fax (907) 258-1626 | adp@alaska.net | www.alaskademocrats.org

Obviously they built the bridge. Right Green_Cactus?

A better question would be "Who voted for funding the bridge?"

[quote author="WINEX" date=1220984554]Obviously they built the bridge. Right Green_Cactus?

A better question would be "Who voted for funding the bridge?"</blockquote>

Where does the buck stop?

<blockquote>In the 2006 debate, Palin was asked whether she supported this earmark, or whether she would pledge to cancel it as governor. Rather than responding with ?thanks but no thanks? to federal funding for this ?access? road, Palin said:

I wouldn?t [cancel the project]. I?m not going to stand in the way of progress that our congressional delegation ? in the position of strength that they have right now ? they?re making those efforts for the state of Alaska to build up our infrastructure. I would not get in the way of progress.

Independent candidate Andrew Halcro responded that he would cancel the project, explaining ?this isn?t progress. This is a road to a bridge that will never be built.? </blockquote>

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1221000856][quote author="WINEX" date=1220984554]Obviously they built the bridge. Right Green_Cactus?

A better question would be "Who voted for funding the bridge?"</blockquote>

Where does the buck stop?</blockquote>

Since you didn't answer the question, I'll answer it for you.

The Bridge to Nowhere was funded through an earmark on a Federal transportation bill.

Both Obama and Biden voted for that bill.

While it is possible that Obama may appear on camera some day and talk about tough choices and not being able to separate line items he objected to from an overall worthwhile bill, it rings hollow in this case.

Once the Bridge to Nowhere got some attention, Senator Tom Coburn introduced an amendment that would have transferred funds used for the Bridge to Nowhere for use in aiding Katrina victims.

Given a second chance to fight pork, both Obama and Biden voted against defunding the Bridge to Nowhere.

While it is true that Governor Palin said that she supported federal funds for use in development projects in South East Alaska while she was running for Governor, she did kill the project. (Even the Democrat Party of Alaska is giving credit where credit is due)

But both Obama and Biden voted for funding the bridge twice.

<a href="http://www.cdobs.com/archive/our-columns/obama-and-biden-voted-for-bridge-to-nowhere,1628/">This article</a> provides a link to a story on the topic. Links in that story can be traced to the voting record for the original transportation bill and the Coburn amendment.

Bringing up this issue is yet another example of Obama's seriously flawed judgment.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1221009895]WINEX, one simple question. At any point in time, did Palin support the "bridge to nowhere"?</blockquote>

That question is answered in the post immediately before you asked me the question.

To re-emphasize the facts, as a private citizen running for Governor, Sarah Palin said she supported various south Alaskan development projects, and one of those projects was the notorious Bridge to Nowhere. As Governor, Sarah Palin put an end to the Bridge to Nowhere.

As a Senator, Barrack Obama supported funding the Bridge to Nowhere as part of a large transportation bill. Obama confirmed his support for the Bridge to Nowhere when he voted against defunding the Bridge to Nowhere and using the funds for Katrina instead. (The Coburn amendment)

As a Senator, Joe Biden supported funding the Bridge to Nowhere as part of a large transportation bill. Biden confirmed his support for the Bridge to Nowhere when he voted against defunding the Bridge to Nowhere and using the funds for Katrina instead. (The Coburn amendment)

So the answer is, Yes, she supported it at one time.

It is interesting that she supported it to get elected, then turned against it. Makes me wonder which things she currently says she supports but will turn against if elected. At least she would just be a VP and wouldn't likely have any power. I see her more of a Dan Quayle VP than a Dick Cheney VP.

[quote author="green_cactus" date=1221016118]Thanks WINEX. So we all agree that at some point Palin supported building a $223M bridge to an island with about 50 people on it.</blockquote>

Do we all agree that Obama and Biden "supported building a $223M Bridge to an island with about 50 people on on it?"

huh? do we???

[quote author="BMP 309" date=1221016347][quote author="green_cactus" date=1221016118]Thanks WINEX. So we all agree that at some point Palin supported building a $223M bridge to an island with about 50 people on it.</blockquote>

Do we all agree that Obama and Biden "supported building a $223M Bridge to an island with about 50 people on on it?"

huh? do we???</blockquote>

And that Governor Palin stopped the bridge from being built...

[quote author="WINEX" date=1221012497][quote author="green_cactus" date=1221009895]WINEX, one simple question. At any point in time, did Palin support the "bridge to nowhere"?</blockquote>

That question is answered in the post immediately before you asked me the question.

To re-emphasize the facts, as a private citizen running for Governor, Sarah Palin said she supported various south Alaskan development projects, and one of those projects was the notorious Bridge to Nowhere. As Governor, Sarah Palin put an end to the Bridge to Nowhere.

As a Senator, Barrack Obama supported funding the Bridge to Nowhere as part of a large transportation bill. Obama confirmed his support for the Bridge to Nowhere when he voted against defunding the Bridge to Nowhere and using the funds for Katrina instead. (The Coburn amendment)

As a Senator, Joe Biden supported funding the Bridge to Nowhere as part of a large transportation bill. Biden confirmed his support for the Bridge to Nowhere when he voted against defunding the Bridge to Nowhere and using the funds for Katrina instead. (The Coburn amendment)</blockquote>

As a Senator, John McCain opposed H.R. 1591, thus voting against:

- To provide for the health care needs of veterans in far South Texas

- to provide improved benefits for veterans who are former prisoners of war.

- To ensure dignity in care for members of the Armed Forces recovering from injuries.

- to improve health care for veterans who live in rural areas, and for other purposes.

- To make grants to carry out activities to prevent teen pregnancy in racial or ethnic minority or immigrant communities

- To respond to the illegal production, distribution, and use of methamphetamines in the United States

- To reduce childhood obesity

- to improve the lives of the 36,950,000 Americans living in poverty and the 15,928,000 of those who live in extreme poverty.

I could go all day but don't have that much spare time. It sure sounds like McCain is a jerk based on his "voting record". He is against benefits for Veterans. He is for childhood obesity. He is for the production and distribution of meth. He doesn't want poor people to improve their lives.

And voting against surrender in Iraq. A policy endorsed by Obama and Biden.

It's interesting that Obama is finally admitting that the surge that McCain advocated worked.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Troop_Readiness,_Veterans'_Care,_Katrina_Recovery,_and_Iraq_Accountability_Appropriations_Act,_2007">The truth hurts</a>

[quote author="WINEX" date=1221018037]And voting against surrender in Iraq. A policy endorsed by Obama and Biden.

It?s interesting that Obama is finally admitting that the surge that McCain advocated worked.</blockquote>

Surrender - I don't think that word means what you think it means. And note that the troop pullout that Obama said we should do, is now the one that looks like will happen.

As for the surge, so far, it seems like it is working. Too bad it came to that. If we hadn't followed the Bush/McCain misguided, pre-emptive rush to war, we wouldn't have needed the surge. The surge is like saving $50k/year for retirement when you are age 50 because you didn't start saving any money at all when you were 30. It works; but it is desperation due to a lack of planning.

[quote author="WINEX" date=1221014676]Apparently you have reading comprehension problems. Please have someone read my previous post to you.</blockquote>

Seriously?? -- Can YOU read?

You said:

<blockquote>To re-emphasize the facts, as a private citizen <strong>running for Governor</strong>, Sarah Palin said she <strong>supported</strong> various south Alaskan development projects, and <strong>one of those projects was</strong> the notorious Bridge to Nowhere. <strong>As Governor</strong>, Sarah Palin <strong>put an end</strong> to the Bridge to Nowhere.</blockquote>

I added emphasis to make it clear to you. Sentence 1 there says she supported it when running for Governor. Sentence 2 there says she canceled it as Governor. If that isn't what you are saying, I think you should re-phrase.

What I'm pointing out is that based on all the amendments that get slipped into a bill, you can make ANY senator to be in favor or against pretty much everything. It is disingenuous to hold this against Obama the same way it was incorrect for me to make those assumptions about McCain. It really is a petty argument to say that Obama was in favor of building the Bridge to Nowhere and claiming that Palin was the fiscal champion that fought tooth and nail to give this money back to the Dept. of Treasury because she didn't want it.

Yes I can read, and I can also count.

And apparently you were only able to comprehend 8 words of 150 in my reply.

If you are willing to make the effort, I will find some adult remedial reading classes for you.

Back