More buildable land in Irvine after the current villages are built out?

How often do you guys go to the market?  Just wondering since we only go once a week on Sat/Sun early morning since the kids are up and maybe Costco or Target run too.  Do people go 3/4x a week?  There's also markets on the way home from work if we forget something. 

I get it, if you guys want restaurants or fast food its farther of a drive depending what want if you live in PS or GP or anywhere else for that matter, In n Out is probably around the same drive from OH to Tustin In n Out vs PS to Foothill Ranch In n Out.

irvinehomeowner said:
I am going to agree that PS needs a retail center.

I found it weird they built the OH retail center and there were no OH homes yet... they even delayed them.

You mean like they built Stonegate Elementary before there were any homes in Stonegate?

The answer to both questions, is simple: Portola Springs is the Rodney Dangerfield of Irvine Villages: No Respect.

akkord said:
How often do you guys go to the market?  Just wondering since we only go once a week on Sat/Sun early morning since the kids are up and maybe Costco or Target run too.  Do people go 3/4x a week?  There's also markets on the way home from work if we forget something. 

I get it, if you guys want restaurants or fast food its farther of a drive depending what want if you live in PS or GP or anywhere else for that matter, In n Out is probably around the same drive from OH to Tustin In n Out vs PS to Foothill Ranch In n Out.

Yeah on a typical week we do errands on the weekend, and the distance to the stores is totally doable. I would love to be able to walk to something other than the pool. It's one of those "in an absolutely perfect world" things. It's definitely not a deal breaker or a major problem, but if you asked me what I thought Portola Springs lack that the other villages have the answer in my mind is obviously retail.

...and if they ever connect Portola (Irvine) to Portola (Foothill Ranch), then the quick jump to retail would be easy. Although there is absolutely no incentive for Irvine to support this.

I personally don't think Irvine will ever be completely built out. There might be some pause here and there, but they've got enough lands to turn them into homes.

Mety said:
I personally don't think Irvine will ever be completely built out. There might be some pause here and there, but they've got enough lands to turn them into homes.
I've been hearing since the 90s that Irvine is almost built out.

Trust me folks, your great grandchildren will be able to buy a new home in Portola Springs.

My business school mentor once owned a Cessna and used it for surveying development from air, which he believes gave him an advantage to see where developments are going.  This is until he hit crosswinds trying to land in Temecula and nearly killed him.

Today we can simply browse google maps satellite mode and see undeveloped land remaining inside Irvine city borders, then compare it to open space reserves and parks.

As I understand it, most of the commercial buildings here are owned by Irvine company and leased to companies.  I suppose it is possible that they might demolish older business tracts and redevelop them into high-rise offices or residential tracts down the road.

momopi said:
e company and leased to companies.  I suppose it is possible that they might demolish older business tracts and redevelop them into high-rise offices or residential tracts down the road.
TIC is already doing that. A few years ago they demolished Civic Plaza, an older low rise office complex in Newport Center, and replaced it with high end apartments. Former Civic Plaza tenants were forced to move to higher priced newer TIC office buildings. Win-Win!

The IBC corridor along Jamboree is already being transformed into apartments and hotels. It is already zoned for higher density and has many low rise commercial structures and open parking lots ripe for redevelopment.

Back