Mold Problem for Townhomes and Condos

bkshopr_IHB

The issue of mold found in resale can seriously harm your respiratory system and shorten your life. Most home inspectors will never bring it up because it would jeopardize the sale transaction and agents and broker will never recommend them again. The inspectors often used a disclaimer for not searching for mold because it is behind walls and could not be seen visually. Tearing walls apart is the only way to see them unfortunately.

Mold grows in places of moisture with no ventilation. Mold is found in places where there is a plumbing leak, condensation, and rain water seepage into the wall cavity. Most mold cases were reported in Condos and Town homes because most bathrooms are placed at the interior of the plan therefore it lack proper ventilation. SFD is not as frequent because there is window for ventilation and plumbing wall are positioned near the outside wall. Mildew is one of the problems but could easily be eradicated by bleach.

In a condo situation a leaky drain at the shower pan joint is quite common. The shower is the most frequent use. Heavy weight movement and standing over the drain that causes deflection to the fiberglass pan and the prolong water duration period wears out the seal gasket. Technically the toilet is the most frequently use except each flush used little water.

The moisture cascade along the angled pipe horizontally in the floor (ceiling of the lower unit) and trapped in the cavity of the shared wall between the 2 lower units. This leak is hard to detect because the homeowner will never see the very slow leak from his unit. The unit below has the same floor plan with the same bath layout therefore the semi gloss paint and bath steam prevents moisture from showing through.

Both of the units sharing this moist wall will be seriously affected by mold. The wall is designed to be airtight for sound attenuation so the moisture trapped in the wall will never evaporate. Mold is thickened and grows profusely at the backside of the drywall and wood stud surfaces. Over time the mold will leach through the drywall paper and permeate through the drywall gypsum and appear on the wall surface little by little and becoming airborne. It really does not stay long enough on the wall surface for one to notice. The mold will accumulate in one’s lung.

Unlike a SFD, Condos and Town homes houses multiple families and have a higher frequency of water usage. The various plumbing and waste lines servicing a dozen of units going through these shared walls is common. The risk of mold is high. Lawyers are extremely wealthy suing builders for mold. The sharks are not after construction defects anymore because property compensation is nothing compared to damages for ill health.

Mold remediation is very costly and requires moving out for several weeks. All cabinets and drywalls have to be removed to expose all wall studs. Wood studs have to be sanded and new drywalls are hung and painted. Carpet needs to be replaced as well. If mold is found behind fiber glass tub and shower then entire units have to be replaced since one can not clean the back side of the fiberglass. A hygienist will monitor the air for purity before one is allow moving back in.

Mold issue is a nightmare for a resale and RE agents hate it. I like to hear what NIR has to say about the issue of mold.

Yes. In fact, there is a specific mold disclosure that Calif requires.

Sellers are also required to disclose any prior construction defect litigation.

That is why we hate building attached units. Our liability is considerably longer than SFR projects. I think it's in the range of 10 years in California.

The statute of limitations on construction defects is 10 years attached or not. Most attached housing is "lower end," and, at least in Irvine, the builders dedicate their quality accordingly.

<p>bkshopr,</p>

<p>I had enough of mine shares in the mold litigation business. The lawyer and I worked on these "moldy" cases with "disgust"! Where the buyers or tenants can really take the sellers and/or real estate agents to the cleaner.</p>

<p>Mold remediation business is a big money business -- and the mold reports are confusing, intimidating, and vague at the same time.</p>

<p>Like you said, mold can grow anywhere in the structure. To find them, you have to tear down the walls. I was selling an old home that had molds grew in between walls, by the time the mold remediation team finished finding all the mold, there was nothing left of the house, so we ended sold the home for its land only to net the seller the most.</p>

<p>Mold issue can be but does not have to be a nightmare to RE agents. We over-disclose and write in the contract such that buyers or tenant resume 100% financial responsibility and more when it comes to mold damages. If the buyer wants to walk, then that's just fine. Basically, a mold issue can be as big as people want it to be, my observation.</p>

<p>You have heard that there is loan buy back. We also have real estate buy back when buyer was not disclosed of any issue or information; and mold issues are in such a gray area.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>awgee,</p>

<p>CalGal said it well. The basic inspection (assuming the inspector is good) and termite inspection will tell you that there is indication of mold existence.</p>

<p>You will always have the risk of mold growth. Mold growth at certain temperature and moisture. The key is to keep moisture out.</p>

<p>It's less risky for new homes. For new homes, builder has a 10-year guarantee for structure. You will have to prove it's a structural issue, not your own negligence. Ex: if there is a leak under the sink and you just let the water sits and allow mold to growth into the cabinetry, then builder may want to pick up only 50% of the cost of replacement.</p>

<p>For older homes, it's a given that you will have to deal with mold growth. Plumbing deteriation, foundation cracks, ... You can not tell that there is a problem until you see growth on the wall or pulling out the carpets.</p>

<a href="../../../account/26/">EvaLSeraphim</a>,

You are right. Allow me to rephrase my statement;

Our liability is considerably <em>higher </em>than SFR projects due to shared mold and other structural problems. Once hit with a lawsuit, any profit remaining in the project is usually wiped out. I think the laws have changed a bit in the past years allowing us stop the suits by <em>volunteering </em>to fix any damages. I do not know the exact details of this.

Fortunately for new home buyers out there, there are plenty of law firms willing to sue on your behalf for a hefty cut of the compensation.

<p>NIR says, "It's less risky for new homes. "</p>

<p>In a sense, but not really. The new building codes require better insulation, etc. which helps to keep moisture in.</p>

<p>Very few inspectors will work toward the benefit of the buyers. The repeat business are based on the RE agent's recommendations. Eventhough the Agent recommends several for the buyer to choose from. They are all affiliated with the RE firm in the interest of moving the sale transaction forward. Things they reported are silly things like squeeky hidges on doors and cabinets and electrical plugs with reversed polarity which is easy to oil and rewired. Buyers think that they are doing a great job because the report is thick and full of simple to repair items and digital pictures.</p>

<p>I have purchased 5 resales and sold all 5 over the last 20 years. I learned the hard way. This is my personal experience and I had to learn all the technical and code aspect of the industry so I do not need to depend on these computer savvy contractor rejects whom I would not trust after I learned the in and out of the construction industry. The last 2 so call inspectors omitted vital informations and covered their behind with proper disclaimers. </p>

Back