So this place finally opened last week.

MOD Pizza
3965 Alton Pkwy
Ste A
Irvine, CA 92604
(949) 265-7770
modpizza.com

Yelp:http://www.yelp.com/biz/mod-pizza-irvine-2

It's Make On Demand pizza like Blaze and Pieology. This place is a bit different because instead of directing what toppings go where, they take down all your toppings on the paper and then make the pizza while you are paying. This will cut down on slow lines and having to wait for that person in front of you who can't decide between pepperoni or salami. They are geared to take 2 or 3 orders at the same time.

The other plus is they have two sizes, mini and Mod. The mini is a 6" version of their 11" Mod size, which is perfect for the kids.

As I started eating mine... I remembered to take a picture so:

w8xf6s.jpg

It's half red sauce/meat/onions/peppers and half white sauce/chicken/garlic/tomatoes.

Pretty good and the smaller size is great because I usually split an 11", so now I can order my own if I'm alone.

The kids also liked the knots, you can get them in garlic, cinnamon, chocolate or strawberry. They have shakes and also have an interesting maple pear drink.

Did they burn the pizza? I like Blaze but they always burn my pizza. I can't be eating all those carcinogens.

How is the wait? I like Pieology but can't handle the long waits. Wish Pieology would take phone or online orders.

If you can see on the picture, it's a little burnt on some of the edges but that's okay for me.

The wait is not as long because they can take 2-3 orders at a time where with Pieology or Blaze, it's one by one.

We went back here again to try the salad.

You should definitely get the mini size because it's a good amount. I also got a mini pizza which was more than enough for one person.

They also have floats and shakes which offers a bit more variety than Blaze and Pieology.

irvinehomeowner said:
It's Make On Demand pizza like Blaze and Pieology. This place is a bit different because instead of directing what toppings go where, they take down all your toppings on the paper and then make the pizza while you are paying.

I don't get it. How is this different from any regular pizza joint. I never been to Blaze, Pieology, etc. I live under a rock.

i think the difference is the wait time. i think these are ready in about 5 minutes vs the standard 15-20 minutes at most pizza places

Thinner crust and bigger oven.

You have to go to one to see how it is different... although it's not that different from Red Brick Pizza which is basically the same thing.

I think the old school pizza places have to stop pricing by toppings and just go with a simplified price systems like these new places.

Yep... you won't get a deep dish pizza at these types of places.

You will get better value than a CPK though, that place has way overpriced food.

Love the knots.  Garlic knots is my fav.  Cinnamon knots are good too.  But pizza wasn't such a big hit.  Pieology pizza tastes better.

qwerty said:
TD - this place in placentia has good chicago style deep dish
http://www.tonyslittleitaly.com/pizza.html

takes about 45 minutes for it to be ready though

The deep dish here is really good ... I grew up in Yorba Linda and used to come here as a kid with my parents when it was a hole in the wall a mile down Bastanchury from it's current location.  I remember my dad would clip the coupon from the Penny Saver and we'd get a Large deep dish pepperoni for like $9.

Tried it today, not bad, kid finished almost a mini which surprised me.  Got the Tyler:

73B677A9-BCE9-46FB-83EB-6A4C30D9F337_zps1f3crra1.jpg

Didn't think the pineapple would work, but it was surprisingly good, Canadian bacon + bacon = yum. 

9614DDAC-336E-4E49-9A01-55C6F6C6ADEE_zpsl8metbik.jpg

#4, forgot the name, should've added some meat to it.

Mini wasn't enough for me, not sure why it was enough for IHO, the crust is pretty thin, but passable.  They also have beer on tap, some sort of IPA, pitcher is around $12 which is decent (~$4 per mug). 

One thing I noticed and wish I didn't:  the pizza makers/bakers are all dudes/unshaven and no hair coverings.  At least wear a baseball cap!  The MOD pizza shirts they were wearing looked pretty crusty and greasy as well.  How bout some bandanas and aprons?  And what's with all the counter height seating?  Who likes to dangle their crotch at eye level? Counter height seating should be up against a bar and no where else.

We'll be back because the kid likes it, I just have to avoid looking into the pizza making process.

BTW, IHO the photo you posted is upside down.

Regards,
OCDps9

I just look like I can eat more than you can.

Whenever I walk into a buffet, the staff has a really worried look on their face... the "Is he going to close us down?" look.

And then when I leave they have that "Is that all he ate?" look.

I wish one of these places would figure out how to do a deep dish fast pizza. Like maybe a prebaked pie that's been cooled and then put into the oven.

P.S. The pic doesn't look upside down to me.

Back