Mission (almost) Complete!

Crispy3

yay! got my offer accepted as of this morn... ended up in West Irvine. Sooooooo relieved after an exhausting 2 years of searching.
Having said that.. I need some help. The place needs a lot of work.. here's what I'm looking to do to it prior to moving in. I am hoping someone can throw me some referrals/ideas/recommendations.

New flooring downstairs (thinking about porcalain wood tile flooring)
New carpet for stairs and second floor
Re-face the kitchen cabinet doors
New countertops and blacksplash for Kitchen and Bathrooms
New tile flooring for one bathroom
New shower enclosure for one bathroom
Epoxy Garage floor
New rangehood/fridge/cooktop/inwall oven/inwall microwave
All new furniture (sofa/dining table/bedroom sets)

Thanks ahead of time!

Crispy3 said:
yay! got my offer accepted as of this morn... ended up in West Irvine. Sooooooo relieved after an exhausting 2 years of searching.
Having said that.. I need some help. The place needs a lot of work.. here's what I'm looking to do to it prior to moving in. I am hoping someone can throw me some referrals/ideas/recommendations.

New flooring downstairs (thinking about porcalain wood tile flooring)
New carpet for stairs and second floor
Re-face the kitchen cabinet doors
New countertops and blacksplash for Kitchen and Bathrooms
New tile flooring for one bathroom
New shower enclosure for one bathroom
Epoxy Garage floor
New rangehood/fridge/cooktop/inwall oven/inwall microwave
All new furniture (sofa/dining table/bedroom sets)

Thanks ahead of time!
Congrats man, I'm glad you hit paydirt over in my hood.  I'll shoot you an email with referrals for most of the stuff you are looking to do.

ok so I got Tim for Windows and Flooring
New York Carpets for carpets

USC is gonna hook me up with someone for garage epoxy..
anyone got recommendations for kitchen/bathroom countertop/backsplash and kitchen cabinet refacing?

Also can someone recommend a reliable handyman for doing things like retrofitting lights/replacing sink/faucets?

Thanks ahead of time.

Crispy3 said:

anyone got recommendations for kitchen/bathroom countertop/backsplash and kitchen cabinet refacing?

Also can someone recommend a reliable handyman for doing things like retrofitting lights/replacing sink/faucets?

Thanks ahead of time.
I have a good handyman who's specalty is electrical so I'll email his contact info when I get you the epoxy guy's info.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Crispy3 said:

Thanks ahead of time.
I have a good handyman who's specalty is electrical so I'll email his contact info when I get you the epoxy guy's info.

I hope his initials aren't B.G.!  ;) I just bought all the goodies so he could update my bathroom. Want to make sure his calendar is clear.  :D

SoCal said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Crispy3 said:

Thanks ahead of time.

I hope his initials aren't B.G.!  ;) I just bought all the goodies so he could update my bathroom. Want to make sure his calendar is clear.  :D
I was going to give him another referral along with B.G. so he can get a quote from both. 

Crispy3 said:

Are you dead-set on refacing? I have yet to hear one positive review from those who chose to reface. From the looks, to the cost, to the mess... it would be my last choice. I'd either do a full remodel or do a Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation before I'd pick refacing. Just my 2 cents.

I'm sorry... who is that ugly guy / girl in the avatar? Kinda hurts my tummy looking at it.  ??? Seems a bit familiar but don't know where from.

SoCal said:
I'm sorry... who is that ugly guy / girl in the avatar? Kinda hurts my tummy looking at it.  ??? Seems a bit familiar but don't know where from.

Lee Kin-yan (Chinese: ???; pinyin: L? Ji?n R?n) is a Hong Kong actor, who frequently makes comic cameo appearances in Stephen Chow's films, as a cross-dressing man with a finger up his nose. He also goes by the nickname ??
http://www.facebook.com/pages/如花-Yu-Fa/109007659129628?v=wall

SoCal said:
Crispy3 said:

Are you dead-set on refacing? I have yet to hear one positive review from those who chose to reface. From the looks, to the cost, to the mess... it would be my last choice. I'd either do a full remodel or do a Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation before I'd pick refacing. Just my 2 cents.

can't afford to replace right now and the cabinets are decent so I think refacing is my best option... I was told that it would look brand new.
the cost I'm assuming should be around 2-2.5k for about 20 cabinets.

Definitely look at the veneer samples in person and get an estimate before deciding, making sure to include anything you might add like slide-out shelves. I had thought about refacing until I saw the materials and cost. The veneers were hideously, hideously ugly. New, sure. But not cute. I'm talking thick plastic in unnatural colors with fake wood grain. The estimate was a minimal savings compared to having all new cabinets installed. It was an easy choice. I hope you get a better look at a better cost.

SoCal said:
Definitely look at the veneer samples in person and get an estimate before deciding, making sure to include anything you might add like slide-out shelves. I had thought about refacing until I saw the materials and cost. The veneers were hideously, hideously ugly. New, sure. But not cute. I'm talking thick plastic in unnatural colors with fake wood grain. The estimate was a minimal savings compared to having all new cabinets installed. It was an easy choice. I hope you get a better look at a better cost.

I'll definitely do research on it before spending a dime.. I'll take some before and after photos if I do go through with it to show you all.

Crispy3 said:
SoCal said:

I'll definitely do research on it before spending a dime.. I'll take some before and after photos if I do go through with it to show you all.

If you do something like Cabinet Transformations yourself (no sanding required), I'd definitely recommend testing it on a paint stick or other thing first. I did a solid wood dining table of mine in a glazed white and was terribly unhappy with the results. It's so yellowish. However, I definitely needed the glaze because the white is blinding white. What sort of grain are your current cabinets? My crystal ball says: "Oak".

SoCal said:
Crispy3 said:
SoCal said:

honestly I forgot... I was only in the house once and they were hidious to me.. barely opened escrow... won't close for another 40 days or so... I'll try and get in there this weekend and take some photos.

If you do something like Cabinet Transformations yourself (no sanding required), I'd definitely recommend testing it on a paint stick or other thing first. I did a solid wood dining table of mine in a glazed white and was terribly unhappy with the results. It's so yellowish. However, I definitely needed the glaze because the white is blinding white. What sort of grain are your current cabinets? My crystal ball says: "Oak".

Back