Miss Jodi?s Learning Garden Closing

iacrenter

Per the OC Register:
http://www.ocregister.com/news/gonzales-318498-care-department.html

Irvine preschool to close on Friday
BY ELYSSE JAMES
2011-09-22 15:08:03

IRVINE ? Miss Jodi's Learning Garden is shutting its doors on Friday, after 11 years in business.

Jodi Gonzales, known as Miss Jodi to her students and their parents, has run preschools in Irvine and Tustin, though the Tustin one is now closed. She has a business license but not a day care license, and the state Department of Social Services is now requiring that Gonzales take the steps to become a licensed day care, or shut down.

Gonzales will be closing the preschool because the requirements for a day care license, she said, would be too costly considering the business is part-time.

"The things we would need to do aren't financially feasible," she said. "We're just a small business barely hanging on."

Miss Jodi's last day is Friday, but she has 18 more months on her lease at 14988 Sand Canyon in Irvine.

"There is a need for this. There's a need for something that's more than a Mommy and Me class and less than a full-time day care center," Gonzales said.

About 40 children were attending her preschool classes this month, she said. Parents have rallied for Gonzales, calling the county and state. About 20 mothers called local reporters.

"We are really not happy with the way she's being told she needs to be shut down," said Neha Khemani of Irvine, whose 2 1/2-year-old son Krish has been at Miss Jodi's Learning Garden for a month. "Obviously we are all pretty shocked and surprised because she's an amazing teacher."

The California Department of Social Services had received a complaint about Miss Jodi's Learning Garden giving unlicensed care to children, said Michael Weston, spokesman for the California Department of Social Services. On March 3, the department visited Gonzales' school, and again on March 7. The department determined that Gonzales' school was an unlicensed child care facility.

In July, Weston said, officials told Gonzales she would need to apply for the child care license. To get a license, Gonzales would need to allow inspections of the building, submit paperwork and an application, and the two employees working at the Learning Garden would need to have a background check.

By Aug. 22, Weston said, Gonzales was still in business and had not filled out a license application so the department began assessing civil penalties.

With fines of $200 a day, Gonzales said she couldn't afford to stay open. On Sept. 12, she told the department she would be closing on Sept. 23.

A part-time program, Gonzales said, "should be licensed accordingly but not held to restrictions as a full-time day care center. There is no part-time option for them."

"This seems really unjust," Gonzales said.

The school had offered programs from 9 to 11:15 a.m. and from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday, a class was held from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Students had to be enrolled in the classes to attend and could not be there for more than 12 hours a week, Gonzales said.

Weston said the department does not have full- or part-time licenses.

"The program she's running needs to be licensed," Weston said. "Even if it's a preschool it still has licensing as far as requirements."

A day care or preschool would need a license from the state because it is providing care to children. When you have a program with care and supervision, including diaper changes and children using a restroom, licenses are needed, he said.

The Learning Garden calls itself a cooperative preschool, and requires parents volunteer in the classroom.

"Since we have parent helpers those parents are all aware they have to be helping out or helping change a diaper," Gonzales said. Kids that age are in the program for six hours a week, she said.

Parents enrolled at the Learning Garden say it's difficult to find a part-time preschool that fits their needs.

Brandee Ramirez of Foothill Ranch is a teacher at Myford Elementary School in Irvine. She has three children in Miss Jodi's programs.

"We are at a loss. We don't know what we are going to do," Ramirez said. "My kids absolutely love going there. It's hard for kids to change anything like that. It's a big change... it's heartbreaking for the kids, too, and obviously for the parents."

Gonzales, who has a background in teaching science, said she is touched by the outpouring of support by current and past families of her school.

"It's nice to know I was able to be such an important part of so many people's lives. I want to keep on doing this and I cannot," Gonzales said. "It really is my complete passion. I truly feel like I'm meant to do this."

In a cooperative preschool parents share the duties, so there's still an element of care being provided by noncustodial parents, Watson said.

"She could operate the business in the same manner if she was licensed," Weston said.

Gonzales teaches in a way that makes children enjoy learning, said Tustin parent Jennifer Sutton.

"I'm never going to be able to find anything to replace what Miss Jodi is doing," said North Santa Ana resident Kristie Johansen. "I'm honestly still in denial and hoping there is some way to keep her there."

Contact the writer: 714-796-7949 or ejames@ocregister.com

That's too bad... but would you want to take your child to a place where they don't do background checks?

I read that and was amazed she was actually able to build a business without any official licensing.

Most likely she provided good service and got good referrals.

Something like how parents send their kids to other parents' houses after school or on play dates... you don't really think about doing background checks on them.

How much does a daycare license cost in CA anyway?  It's hard to believe that this couldn't be overcome with a school fundraiser or donation drive.  Background checks aren't that expensive and only a one time cost when a new employee is hired.  My industry requires background checks as well, but somehow the criminals still get in. ::)

Back