Minivan Thread

A

Anonymous

This one is for IHO. A couple of weeks ago IHO was out here posting pictures of the new 2011 Toyota Siena "Sport" he was going to pick up. With the recent troubles of Toyota, perhaps you might like to join me over on the Honda side of the fence, IHO. Pictures of the next generation Odyssey are out (I think its coming for 2011 as well).

20755_299280744274_107926874274_3360173_1701971_n.jpg

http://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/

It's ok, IHO --- we still have lots of room left on the VTEC bandwagon:

Hehe... I'm actually up to date on the new Odyssey.

Been waiting for the Chicago Auto Show to open today to show live pictures of it. Those are concept pictures, rumor is that the broken up belt-line might not make it to the production model. This is actually very close to their Euro/Japanese Odyssey back in '08 that's more station-wagonish.

You forget, we used to have an Odyssey too... so we actually did the side-by-side comparison for 3 years and in the end... we still have the Sienna.

The problem is the new Sienna may have issues that may move me back to the Odyssey. It has nothing to do with brakes... it's just features that we liked about the Odyssey, such as being able to recline the rear seats back more. And the new Sienna has less interior space according to the specs. Additionally, the new Odyssey may have better mileage stats so that's also compelling.

We'll see... although I'm worried that if I don't trade-in my '04 Sienna soon, it may be worthless considering Kelly Blue Book keeps dropping the resale values of Toyotas every week. So I don't even know if I can wait for the Odyssey to hit dealers (some time late summer or early fall).

Have you considered the VW Routan? I was down at Capo VW the other Day and was really impressed. They have huge discounts going on right now...

I'm not really familiar with Vans, just wondering what you Guys think...

2009_vw_routan_4.jpg

more-creative-incentives-buy-a-vw-routan-get-1-500-for-colleg.jpg

Incidentaly, VW have a Brake overide system, when you apply the Brake it disengages the Accelerator...

According to the service Tech "VW thought of this a long time ago"

[quote author="ck"] ... With the recent troubles of Toyota, perhaps you might like to join me over on the Honda side of the fence, IHO. Pictures of the next generation Odyssey are out (I think its coming for 2011 as well).
[/quote]

That is, if you want a car with an airbag that kills ...

The company will replace the driver's side air bag inflator in the cars because they can deploy with too much pressure, causing the inflator to rupture and injure or kill the driver.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100210/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_honda_recall

The Routan is actually a re-badged Chrysler/Dodge minivan.

Although they look nice, their interior space is smaller. My big bacteria makes it a tight squeeze in the driver seat and the legroom just isn't enough.

I like SUVs... I just like sliding doors and the utility of the back/3rd seat and car-like ride better. This Ford Explorer had me salivating but I think the sliding doors didn't make it to production:

slide-3.jpg

[quote author="greencactus"]
[quote author="ck"] ... With the recent troubles of Toyota, perhaps you might like to join me over on the Honda side of the fence, IHO. Pictures of the next generation Odyssey are out (I think its coming for 2011 as well).
[/quote]

That is, if you want a car with an airbag that kills ...

The company will replace the driver's side air bag inflator in the cars because they can deploy with too much pressure, causing the inflator to rupture and injure or kill the driver.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100210/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_honda_recall[/quote]

Those recalls were for 2001-02 model year cars, and only a select few at that. So according to the article, these defective airbags have been on the road for nearly a decade --- and caused 11 injuries and one death? I'll take those odds.

I can't bring myself to get a minivan yet. I just don't have enough people or stuff to justify it. For my needs a family sedan or wagon would work nicely.

For those who have one, how many are in your family? Do you really need so much cargo/passenger space? Just curious.

We got ours shortly after our 1st was born.

And now we can't imagine being without one.

It's not just for families of 8... the utility of a minivan outweighs all other high passenger/cargo vehicles on the market.

I used to have an extra-cab Toyota, then a Silverado and then the four-door Tacoma... and the minivan beat them all in passenger utility and moving capacity/convenience (with the caveat of oversized items that cannot fit in a van... which was very rare).

And as I've said many times... you just can't beat that sliding door. It's easier to get in and out (especially putting a baby car seat), it's less dingy in parking lots and you can open and close those doors with a touch of a button (which helps when your hands are full... with groceries or even your kids).

Most people are reluctant to get one... but once you try it out... all that "it's not cool enough" goes away.

Our main reason for getting one is because we drive up to the SF bay area multiple times each year to visit family. When we had the twins, we found out quickly how much stuff you need to bring for a multi-day visit to family. We had to lug with us pack-n-plays for the boys to sleep in, needed a double stroller, portable mini-boosters for the boys to sit in for the meal breaks during the drive, ice cooler for the drinks/food for the boys (they have food allergies), etc. We bought one of the car roof cargo carriers and that helped a ton. Now that there's a third child, we definitely need the extra space for the third car seat. Also, loading/unloading 3 young kids is easier with a mini-van.

[quote author="jvna"]Our main reason for getting one is because we drive up to the SF bay area multiple times each year to visit family. When we had the twins, we found out quickly how much stuff you need to bring for a multi-day visit to family. We had to lug with us pack-n-plays for the boys to sleep in, needed a double stroller, portable mini-boosters for the boys to sit in for the meal breaks during the drive, ice cooler for the drinks/food for the boys (they have food allergies), etc. We bought one of the car roof cargo carriers and that helped a ton. Now that there's a third child, we definitely need the extra space for the third car seat. Also, loading/unloading 3 young kids is easier with a mini-van.[/quote]

We only have one kid, but bought our 2004 Pilot back when we were still living in the Bay Area, as we were going back and forth to visit family in LA at the time. After we came back from the Bay in 2005, the Pilot has become all but unnecessary for our 3 person family. I can probably count the times we have used the 3rd row seat one hand. While I actually think minivans are cool (imagine that), we don't need nearly that much size.

When we replace the Pilot in a year or two, I'm kind of hoping for approval to get something like this.

large-nav-images_q7.jpg

The Porsche and the Audi are the same cars... just different prices... in the end... they are just Volkswagens (the Toureg).

CK: If you've ever experienced the awesomeness of a sliding side doors... you will want that Odyssey even more. It's like a Delorian without getting hit upside the chin!

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]
CK: If you've ever experienced the awesomeness of a sliding side doors... you will want that Odyssey even more. It's like a Delorian without getting hit upside the chin![/quote]

You have no clue how many times my daugther has asked me if we can have "one of those cars with the doors that slide". My brother-in-law has an Odyssey Touring, I hate to go over there because I know how much pressure I am going to get from the 6 year old afterward.

The kids get it.

If money were no object then these would be my family rides of choice:

Your true SUV--real sport and utility. Just way too expensive. ;D

BMW M5 touring:
BMW_M5touring_07.jpg

Audi RS6 Avant:
2008-Audi-RS-6-Avant-Front-And-Side-1280x960.jpg

Mercedes E63 wagon:
e-63-amg-wagon.jpg

[quote author="IACRenter"]If money were no object then these would be my family rides of choice:

Your true SUV--real sport and utility. Just way too expensive. ;D

[/quote]

Ooooo....I love wagons. My wife hates them. What you you all think of the new 5 Series GT? I'm not feeling it yet, maybe it will grow on me.

BMW-Concept-5-Series-Gran-Turismo-2009-car-wallpaper.jpg

Waituminnut... this is a MINIVAN thread... stop posting all these pictures of those totally uncool cars.

The other thing about minivans (and I guess SUVs and big trucks) over cars and wagons... easier to sit in and get out of. I guess I'm tall (and big bacteria'd) so it's harder for me to get in and out of those low to the ground vehicles.

As you can surmise, I never drove a slammed ride... I would probably have to roll out onto the street and then get up from there.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Waituminnut... this is a MINIVAN thread... stop posting all these pictures of those totally uncool cars.

The other thing about minivans (and I guess SUVs and big trucks) over cars and wagons... easier to sit in and get out of. I guess I'm tall (and big bacteria'd) so it's harder for me to get in and out of those low to the ground vehicles.

As you can surmise, I never drove a slammed ride... I would probably have to roll out onto the street and then get up from there.[/quote]

Sorry for the thread hijack. Here are some minivans you might want to roll in style:

wald_alphard___jpg_667x667_q100.jpg

img1.jpg

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]
As you can surmise, I never drove a slammed ride... I would probably have to roll out onto the street and then get up from there.[/quote]

HAHAHAHA!!! That could be embarassing in Valet Parking...

BTW, I have a good Friend at Tustin Toyota, for instance, during the last $4.50 Gas price fiasco a couple of years ago my Mate wanted a Hybrid Camry, everyone was charging a $2000 upcharge but I got him one with a $4000 discount so let me know if anyone wants a Toyota...no discounts on scion although the price has been lowered around $1500 since last year.

Back