Metal stud houses in Irvine.

bkshopr_IHB

Lightweight steel framing is increasing in popularity amongst homebuilders. Brookfield Homes was the first to utilize this type of construction in its debut Landsend projects in Northwood Pointe. The core group of Brookfield Homes in OC was founded in 1996 by 3 individuals also were responsible for the success of Taylor Woodrow Homes. Their vision has remained cutting edge since its inception in construction, design, merchandising and marketing.

Other builders quickly followed the steel framing program of Brookfield Homes such as Lennar and Richmond American in North Park Square.

Metal framing providing fire resistant framing structures, pest resistance construction, straighter smoother walls, as well as load strength for weather-proofed residential structures.

Although "Steel" may conjure up images of a heavy, cumbersome material for construction, steel studs are just the opposite. Steel studs offer a strong, accurate, dimensionally stable and durable framing system, and are ideal for residential construction as long the design is simple and restraint. That was not the case in Irvine during the housing boom and design was overly complicated.

Residential steel framing members were originally designed as a substitute for wood framing. However, they are now being manufactured in systems, which reflect the superior strength and consistency of steel. The variety of available steel shapes, strengths and sizes has expanded beyond that of standard lumber, and this versatility offers the advantage of savings in both material cost and time while delivering a consistently high quality product.

Environmental and economic concerns have prompted the building industry to research alternative building materials and methods. This, in addition to its construction benefits and excellent recycling capabilities, is making steel framing a growing choice for residential construction. This follows the long time use of steel framing in commercial construction where steel has proven quality and performance records.

The reasons why home builders are turning to steel framing members as replacements for wood are as varied as the homes they build. Here are just some of the most significant benefits for both user groups, the builder and the homeowner, that give steel an edge over the wood construction.

Builder Benefits:

Steel will not rot, shrink, swell, split, or warp and is non-combustible.

Every steel stud is a good stud. Steel framing is of consistent quality.

Steel framing can be supplied to the exact lengths required thus eliminating much of the on-site cutting and

most of the waste.

Steel framing is a proven technology that is user friendly allowing for a smooth transition from other materials.

Steel framing members are available in a variety of standard shapes and sizes and in varying thicknesses to accommodate any structural requirements.

Steel members weigh as much as 60% less than wood members; therefore, foundation and seismic loads can be reduced.

Steel framing members are manufactured with pre-punched holes for running piping and electrical wiring, minimizing preparation work for other trades.

Steel is competitively priced and consistent in quality. Steel prices are more dimensionally stable than wood and steel supplies have historically been more readily available. Wood warping, twisting and bending due to moisture in the air was the biggest problem in warranty issue.

Steel members can easily be prefabricated at the construction site, at a central assembly point near the site or can be assembled in panels at a factory. Steel gives a flexible response to nearly every home builder requirement.

No heavy equipment is necessary when light gauge steel framing is used.

Homeowner Benefits:

Steel's inherent strength and non-combustible qualities enable a steel framed building to resist such devastating events as fires, earthquakes, and wind.

Because of its strength, steel can span greater distances offering larger open spaces and increased design flexibility without requiring intermediate columns or load bearing walls.

Steel framing does not need to be treated for termites. It is free of resin adhesives and other chemicals used to treat wood framing products.

Steel framed homes respond well in every climate.

Steel framed walls are straight and remain that way. There is no shrinkage to cause nail-pops and squeaking floors.

The idea was a novel idea but it was way ahead of its time. The unskilled labor force available in OC was extremely cost efficient but few knew how to frame with steel studs. A trained team meant union labor and costing more. As homes in the last 10 years became much more complicated and with many angles, curves, and building corners steel was not a choice material. Wood remained as the most flexible material because it can be cut and nailed at any angle while steel studs lack the flexible surface area for fastening. Although steel was short lived in Irvine but the remaining structures are far more superior in strength and durability.

Thanks for the info, BK. I recall thinking that the Lennar project I saw was very interesting and different when it was going up.

Couple of questions, if I may:

1. How is steel for earthquakes with respect to flexibility (i.e., bend don't break); and

2. IIRC, Lennar had used steel frame with wood . . . um, is trusses the right word? The upside down "V" part that sides to the roof.

Years ago when I lived in Northpark, I was driving up Culver when I was almost blinded by some strange structure blazing in the early morning sunlight at the Northpark Square construction site. I thought: "was this beautiful structure some crystal cathedral, some amazing new architecural style never seen before in Irvine, what is this thing?" Later I found out it was condos.

great summary

a few points however:

1. steel *does* burn. and at only 200 degrees. presumably the material in the rest of the house would be enough to melt/burn the steel.

2. you can have one or the other: less weight or less strength. ie if you reduce the weight to 60% of wood, you will have less strength than 100% weight, and (i'm guessing) about the same amount of strength as wood.

that said, since wood these days is not dried like in the past, it is a much better material to build with for mass produced housing

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1224205977]great summary

a few points however:

1. steel *does* burn. and at only 200 degrees. presumably the material in the rest of the house would be enough to melt/burn the steel.

2. you can have one or the other: less weight or less strength. ie if you reduce the weight to 60% of wood, you will have less strength than 100% weight, and (i'm guessing) about the same amount of strength as wood.

that said, since wood these days is not dried like in the past, it is a much better material to build with for mass produced housing</blockquote>

freedom... can you help me understand... when you say strength, do you mean flexural strength or tensile strength? I am interested in possibly buying a steel-frame construction so this info will help me, thanks.

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1224205977]

1. steel *does* burn. and at only 200 degrees. </blockquote>

Huh? What is your basis for this?

What temperature do you think wood burns at?

SCHB

Astute,

Wood oxidizes also. Big difference though. I can set wood on fire, steel - no so much. Now steel does lose strength when heated.

Steel has TREMENDOUS "stiffness" (flexural and tensile strength). But once you go past the elastic range and into the plastic range its over. Wood, well it does have an elastic range, but its plastic range is more like a shear, it just fractures and loses all structrual properties... like a ceramic.

I'll write more on this later. In an earthquake I think built properly the steel house would be better. Cheaper? Well that's not something we can talk about....

Anyways good luck

-bix

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1224199980][quote author="acpme" date=1224196789]is there any way to identify steel-framed homes?</blockquote>

Big magnet! ;)</blockquote> or Tenmagnet

Back