Mello-Roos of Irvine

I believe all the new Irvine homes have CFD taxes which is $1700. That's the base MR to start with.

Then there are extra ones, AD and other taxes. The AD ones are usually around $1000 then other tax are about $200. Total is usually around $3000 - $4000.

I'm not too familiar with GP ones, but I guess they might be using the similar system.

Here is also a blog which they review new constructions and show you all the tax details.https://www.irvinehousingblog.com/

Hope it helps.

High, but still beats the MR prices I was quoted at the Ranch (Rancho Mission Viejo). For a 3ksqft home, it's close to $10k, bringing the total tax rate to 2%

I keep expecting a photo spread in this thread. 

Soft focus, sunset golden lighting, The firestation captured against the backdrop of Olive Trees, caption Piedmont $3067.

paydawg said:
lnc said:
John said:
Just viewed my 2020-2021 tax bill (http://tax.ocgov.com/tcweb/search_page.asp) and was pleasantly surprised to not see mello-roos IUSD CFD No 86-1 on it. Checked this thread and saw that it expired 9/1/2020!

So I guess most of newer TIC villages will get a drop of a little over $600, sweet!

BUT - didn't your CFD 09-1 amount go UP by about $650?  Looks like the case for me.

Damnit, you're right, didn't notice that.

Yes, I see the expiry of 86-1 is compensated by the hike in 09-1. The net MR is similar as last year, or slightly higher.

Irvinity said:
Yes, I see the expiry of 86-1 is compensated by the hike in 09-1. The net MR is similar as last year, or slightly higher.

Is that legal? I was told when I bought my home that 86-1 expired 9-1-20 and there would no increases in the other mello roos.

paydawg said:
lnc said:
John said:
Just viewed my 2020-2021 tax bill (http://tax.ocgov.com/tcweb/search_page.asp) and was pleasantly surprised to not see mello-roos IUSD CFD No 86-1 on it. Checked this thread and saw that it expired 9/1/2020!

So I guess most of newer TIC villages will get a drop of a little over $600, sweet!

BUT - didn't your CFD 09-1 amount go UP by about $650?  Looks like the case for me.

Hmmmm...my CFD 09-1 went up by the EXACT amount that fell off for 86-1. That seems...odd.

JadedOne said:
paydawg said:
lnc said:
John said:

Hmmmm...my CFD 09-1 went up by the EXACT amount that fell off for 86-1. That seems...odd.

It's almost like they are hoping no one will complain because the total mello roos didn't change much. Did anyone receive detail on Mello Roos when purchasing? Last time I looked I only got a list of per year / expiration date, but no contract that would be legally binding to take legal action for a violation like this.

paperboyNC said:
JadedOne said:
paydawg said:
lnc said:
John said:

It's almost like they are hoping no one will complain because the total mello roos didn't change much. Did anyone receive detail on Mello Roos when purchasing? Last time I looked I only got a list of per year / expiration date, but no contract that would be legally binding to take legal action for a violation like this.

Wow. That?s a pretty shady move, no? Who makes those taxes anyways?

It's definitely worth calling that number next to the CFD on the tax bill to see why it went up.

I was very unpleasantly surprised when we bought our Woodbury condo that CFD 04-2A also goes up 2% per year. I thought only the Mello Roos in Great Park went up, but apparently there are CFDs in other neighborhoods that do too.

akkord said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Mello Roos are NOT taxes. :)

Wasn't there a lawsuit...and MR can be written off as property taxes...too bad its capped at 10k now. 

Yeah... something about our property tax bill needs to break them out by use or something in order for us to know which are taxes and which are not... not exactly sure.

But according to Prop 13... MRs can't be taxes right? :)

irvinehomeowner said:
akkord said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Mello Roos are NOT taxes. :)

Wasn't there a lawsuit...and MR can be written off as property taxes...too bad its capped at 10k now. 

Yeah... something about our property tax bill needs to break them out by use or something in order for us to know which are taxes and which are not... not exactly sure.

But according to Prop 13... MRs can't be taxes right? :)

I believe the tax bills are broken out into two sections. One section is taxes and the rest, including MR, are "Special Assessment User Fees".

JadedOne said:
paydawg said:
lnc said:
John said:

Same here! One CFD dropped off but other one just went up by a similar amount.

Irvinity said:

This was explicitly communicated to us when we bought our home from CalPac back in 2016.  We were told that even though 86-1 would mature, the amount of MR paid would remain at $1,700 with a hike in 09-1 until the the bond matures, and I'm seeing that on my ptax as well.

I believe the tax bills are broken out into two sections. One section is taxes and the rest, including MR, are "Special Assessment User Fees".
[/quote]

Exactly--this is the section I was referring to. Mello Roos are not taxes but do appear on the property tax bill. :)

Back