Medical Tourism

She just replied to the message I just sent about other risks, Go Fund Me, etc. I will copy & paste it:

"Aw, you are so sweet.  I absolutely feel 100% comfortable with this.  I wanted to tell you because you're one of my very best friends and it's a big deal...I did know that you would be concerned, and I appreciate that.  If I didn't have a very good friend who went through this at the same doctor, etc. I wouldn't be as comfortable with it.  She had 2 friends who went there as well.  And [husband's name] would never let me do something that he didn't research himself. When I get back on later I will send you some links that I have!"

:( :(

qwerty said:
Socal - does your friends insurance not cover the weight loss surgery? I think more insurances cover it now, or some forms of it.

She originally wanted gastric bypass and to have it done here in the U.S. She checked with her insurance. They denied coverage.

rkp said:
You are clearly a very caring friend and I doubt she will hate you for sharing concern.  If you are ok completely risking the friendship but increasing the chance that she doesn't go through with it, you can post your concerns on her facebook wall and ask for friends to chime in.  It would most likely act like as an intervention and probably at least get more friends encouraging her not to do this.

What does her doctor think?  How much cheaper is the surgery?  Surprisingly, you can negotiate with US doctors and practices.  With HDHP, consumers have been more in control of their healthcare spending and there are states that are cheaper than others.  Has she done a thorough cost comparison and negotiated with various US providers?

Hmm, interesting idea regarding an intervention. I am one of few people she has told. Posting on her wall would be a huge betrayal in that regard. Maybe I could ask her which friends know. Then, seek them out on FB and PM them to see what their conversations with her have been like. I am guessing the others are her family and the friend who recommended the surgery in the first place. Out of all of them, I guess I would be the odd man out.

She claims her general doctor (stateside, in the south) is ok with this which I found really hard to believe.  :eek:  To be honest, I am not really convinced everything she is telling me is true... for example, her husband being on board with this. My husband says that's either a lie or her husband doesn't really love her because my husband said there is no way he'd send me to Mexico for some invasive surgery. Mr. SoCal said he would hide my passport and keys if I tried to pull this off. That really made me question what the heck is going on there. Maybe one person is crazy enough to think this is a good idea... but 2??

I'm not sure yet of the costs. Good idea about negotiating. I will keep it in mind to suggest to her. Thanks.

Update:

My friend had her weightloss surgery.

While she was under general anesthesia, she suffered an aller*gic rea*ction to the m*orphin*e. (I don't want this to come up in one of her searches, hence the asterisks.) She had to be given st*er*oids to counter-act that. Thank God they figured something out because this could have killed her. When she came out of surgery, her face was hot and red for 3 days. She is also bruised up and down both arms because it was hard to find a vein for the IV.

However, she went on to say it was a great experience (WTF), and that she would recommend it to anyone (double WTF). She likes the care they gave her afterwards. But from what I gather, they also kept her STONED TO THE BONE for days following surgery.

I am still in complete disbelief that she not only went through with it but would recommend to everyone it despite having a brush with death on the operating table. I couldn't even muster up a response to that one. I'm just glad she's alive.

I'm glad your friend made it back to the US. Having an allergic reaction can be scary for patients but it doesn't mean they did a bad job with the surgery. She could have had the same medication reaction at any US hospital and the treatment would have been the same.

The real risk is if she develops a more serious complication after surgery: infection, intestinal blockages, blood clots etc... That is when it really pays to have it done in the US. You don't want to be stuck in a 3rd world country with a serious post operative complication. Things can go from bad to worse quickly.

Also, it is extremely difficult to get a US surgeon to want to take on another doctor's complication. Hopefully they referred your friend to a US physician who is qualified to deal with these issues.

Back