Median income vs Median Home values

edhne

So this question was posed a couple of times on the IHB and other places but never quite answered so wanted to get the thoughts of TI folks.

Are current prices a function of median income? Median income is often pointed to as one of the key indicators to point to homes being priced "properly" or not.

On one side of the argument, of course median income matters for pricing. If the people who are living there can't afford the housing, then homes are overvalued and are due for a correction.

On the other side of the argument is the fact that only the income of the new buyers matters. If 10% of a homes in an zip code inventory turns over per year, then as long as the new 10% have the income or wealth (ie savings, previous equity or other source of funds) to support the pricing, median income won't matter.

Yes it is true that median income will also rise as a result of 10% of the new residents replacing or changing the mix of the income balance. But even if the new buyers have 10X or 20x the income of the median, the median income will only go up the next incremental 10% of incomes on the list. (Since median has no weighting of any kind).

To some degree, they will be correlated because I don't imagine that people who make +500K a year want to live in a neighborhood where the median is $20k or something. But I looked up Beverly hills (90210) and the single largest demographic group was actually 500k+ and then 2nd was 250k to 500k but the median for BH is still "only 147k." Clearly the 90210 prices can't be supported by the median income with the average per sqft is 910.

This might be an argument for BH being overdue for a major correction to the tune of 80% or more from its average Redfin listing price of 2.8M from the fundamentalist but this won't happen.

For Irvine, how much does median income matter as a driver of the new median transaction cost? No Irvine isn't as special as a brand as BH and the income distributions have a more "normal" distribution vs BH but what makes one zip code, city or neighborhood fundamental able to defy median incomes into what seems like perpetuity whiles come crashing down?

I've had "discussions" about this with AZDave on the IHB... median income isn't an accurate metric if you ask me.

Especially in places were people are retired, don't report correct income (cash businesses), have high down payments or are resident to people who don't pay income tax, it's very hard to gauge actual income numbers. Add to that your "new buyer" requirement and we get a really complex measuring stick that has no baseline.

While there is some correlation, once you get above a certain median (in both -- whatever is used to measure income and home prices), it almost becomes irrelevant.

Sometimes I wonder if median loan value is a number that would give us a more accurate picture of what is going on in certain areas.

i'm not sure if i'm answering your question right but if you're asking if the median is the sole indicator of house prices i don't think it will be accurate, i think what is needed in the equation is the amount of down payment (as we've seen in irvine) that pushes up the price and keeps it there.  so it should be some sort of calculation of down payment + income = price...

irvinehomeowner said:
Sometimes I wonder if median loan value is a number that would give us a more accurate picture of what is going on in certain areas.

yah, essentially what i was trying to get at... also, in the equation is the amount of disposable income, or how frugal a person is... if your fixed expenses (like kid's costs or school loans) are less and you don't spend money on "toys"... then you can spend more on housing.

here is what i do for every home i look at. i dont really care about any other stats. I find out what the break even cash flow value of a home is if i were to rent it out instead of selling when i move out. I compare that value to the current asking price, if im okay with the variance then i would pull the trigger, if not then i dont.

There is no true value of what a home is "worth" other than its cash flow value and even that can be off if you get the rent estimate wrong. median income to median is just one data point that can be used, and probably not a very accurate one.

"9. Bethesda, Md.
Expected price drop: -11.5 percent
Median family income: $114,100 (the highest)
Unemployment rate: 5.1 percent
Median home price: $417,000 (5th highest)
Projected to hit lowest level: Q3 2012

Bethesda, the extremely wealthy D.C. suburb, has the highest median family income in the country ? $114,100. It also has the fifth highest median home price, at $417,000. That position may change, however, as Case-Shiller projects home values will drop by more than $60,000 by next year. "

Snagged a piece from an article about areas where home prices are expected to drop.  Irvine was not on there, but here is one that is close to Irvine is some regards.  Irvine's income was 85k in 2009 and home price was 550k.  While there might be some "fluff" that Would make Irvine have more income (cash business), I would still say that Irvine has to have a lot of room to drop.

Was just about to start my own thread, but I guess I can throw this here.

edhne said:
On one side of the argument, of course median income matters for pricing. If the people who are living there can't afford the housing, then homes are overvalued and are due for a correction.

This is the tough part of the Irvine market.  The high down payment percentage brings the actual mortgage down to a much more affordable level.  The median income may support the irvine mortgage-balance, not price, but mortgage. 

When IR had the mortgage data listed the % of down-payments seemed to routinely (outside of 100% cash) to be in the 35-55% range.  This made $800-900K homes with a $417K mortgage quite common.  Now, how they accumulated such a large sum for a down payment is still an unknown. 

The $417K mortgage seems to be affordable by the Irvine median income statistics. 

shokunin said:
edhne said:

This is the tough part of the Irvine market.  The high down payment percentage brings the actual mortgage down to a much more affordable level.  The median income may support the irvine mortgage-balance, not price, but mortgage. 

When IR had the mortgage data listed the % of down-payments seemed to routinely (outside of 100% cash) to be in the 35-55% range.  This made $800-900K homes with a $417K mortgage quite common.  Now, how they accumulated such a large sum for a down payment is still an unknown. 

The $417K mortgage seems to be affordable by the Irvine median income statistics. 
Especially when you can get one of those 417k mortgages at 4.25% or in the 2% range with a 5 or 7 year ARM.

I wonder if there's a study done on the median income of potential home buyer vs median home prices. 

I believe the median income of potential home buyer is probably a lot higher than the median income of all Irvine residents.

This is kind of like how government count unemployment rate.  They are only count people who are seeking jobs.  If we only looks at people who is looking for house and their income, Irvine's median home prices probably will be only 4 to 5 times of their median income at current low interest rate.

lnc said:
I wonder if there's a study done on the median income of potential home buyer vs median home prices. 

I believe the median income of potential home buyer is probably a lot higher than the median income of all Irvine residents.

This is kind of like how government count unemployment rate.  They are only count people who are seeking jobs.  If we only looks at people who is looking for house and their income, Irvine's median home prices probably will be only 4 to 5 times of their median income at current low interest rate.

As mentioned above, income is only one of many factors. If I inherit $5mm from my grandparents and my reported income is only $50k/yr my income would be a bad measure of affordability.

Sold my home last month.. and to be honest.. most people that came through had some of their parents money coming with it.  That's why Irvine is a bit different.. don't see many new families coming in just on savings alone.  This was for a condo/townhouse.  I imagine it's more frequent with SFRs.

Agree with everyone says about inaccuracy of median income vs median home value.

Like 3x income rule, median income vs median home value correlate more to 1st time home buyers with out big down payment.  When you have abundance of high wealth individual, move up buyers, FCB, buyers with high down payments, median income really is not a good indicator of home value.  This is especially true for city like Irvine, Newport Beach, San Francisco etc.

There are many complicated factors affecting home value but in the high price city like Irvine, median income are less significant.  Perhaps in low price city like Riverside or John Creek, home value are more correlated to median income.

Back