Master planned communities - Irvine v. The Woodlands, TX

garfangle_IHB

I really like master planned communities aesthetically. Therefore, when looking at possible places to live, my preference is for MPCs over other settings. However, I don't like MPCs that are too small in population to be able to attract and support significant business and cultural infrastructure. I view them as merely suburbs to major metros rather than centers of activity in their own right. Irvine for most of its history has been planned differently, able to be a significant hub in its own right with a population base of over 200,000 presently, and not merely being a feeder city to LA or other OC cities.

Another large MPC is The Woodlands, Texas, which was established in 1974 a few years behind Irvine's founding. While its residents are on par with Irvine when it comes to household wealth and educational attainment, its low cost of living has made it a significant draw from those working in nearby Houston and those looking to flee the high costs and high taxes of the West Coast and Northeast states. As a result The Woodlands has seen its population grow from 29,000 in 1990 to 55,00 in 2000 and over 84,000 today. Though most of its professional workforce commutes to Houston, major corporations like Chevron Phillips and Anadarko Petroleum have made The Woodlands their corporate headquarters.

What do you think of The Woodlands as competitor to those who like myself are drawn to MPCs but hate the high cost of living of Irvine?

Back