Mark Hanson doesn't think we're out of the woods yet

[quote author="JCie" date=1258554124][quote author="muzie" date=1258449590]

I try to be impartial on both sides and like to hear both sides of the argument. I rent, so implicitly I stand to benefit is prices go down or stay flat - though I don't care as much as I used to.

It does seem to be the basis of your argument is, mainly, that things (well, prices) have been improving over a short period (of 6 months), and this should continue. From what I can tell, I don't need to have any real estate expertise to extrapolate trends from two data points, so I must admit the argument seems perhaps overly simple? Yes, there are factors messing with the fundamentals, though that seems to me to be an argument against buying, not for, since abnormal factors are, by definition, supposed to be transient in nature.

Why would you buy yourself but tell friends to wait? That doesn't make sense.</blockquote>

OK, let me clarify a few things.

I'm NOT saying prices are going to go up. I don't believe they will. I'm saying that prices dropping another 15% - 20% may not happen. I think what's most likely is a slight price drop across the board, continued drop on the very high end, and a housing market that will be sluggish for years to come.

I tell my friends that they may have to wait a year if they are in bidding situations on every home they try to buy. Most of my friends are not in the same market that I am. Where I bought, I had competition but it wasn't crazy like it is in the sub 750k homes. Most of my friends aren't in the same financial situation so the advice I give is relevant to them, not necessarily me.

After I sold my home in late 05 (to escape the bubble), I rented a nice but relatively conservative home for 4 years waiting things out. I've been looking at homes for the past year. I knew that the market was turning even in the 2mil+ range (for ocean view properties in Newport Coast). I could see because I started having to compete with cash buyers who started the "over asking" game. So when I got the chance to buy a home from a owners who had to sell (but not in shortsale/REO) that was stunningly beautiful and for a good price.. I jumped on it.

I don't want to wait another year. If prices drop, it would stink but financially, I'll be fine. I'm going to live in this house for at least 6 years anyway and when I sell, it will be to buy a 5M+ house.

I will repeat the point of my original post: If you find the home you love and that you can comfortably afford and you're going to live there for a while, don't paralyze yourself by thinking you know 100% what the market is going to do a year or two from now. Buy it and enjoy it. Life is short.</blockquote>
Very well put. A home is not strictly an investment, there are a lot of subjective factors that go into purchasing a home.

Will you be looking to buy in Shady Canyon or Crystal Cove in 6+ years?

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1258554578]

Very well put. A home is not strictly an investment, there are a lot of subjective factors that go into purchasing a home.

Will you be looking to buy in Shady Canyon or Crystal Cove in 6+ years?</blockquote>

Yes, exactly. My home is not an investment. I'm not a fan of Shady and Crystal Cove is too far from the freeway and would make my commute too long. I'm in Ocean Heights and it's beautiful. I will move to a larger home later so I can get more than a 3-car garage as I am a car fanatic. I have a small collection of exotic cars that I love and would like to add some very special cars to my collection when I can afford to do so.

I've supported myself since I was 17 and I went through some very hard times working my way through college. But those hard times were so incredibly important to me as they taught me a lot about financial discipline and the value of hard work and money. I still live well below my means and am so appreciative of the life I have. I started my business 12 years ago and worked my ass off growing it working insane hours. I'm still taking risks and working hard but at least I've been able to buy the type of home that I only dreamed about before. I used to be that kid with big dreams and a ton of ambition and now, my dreams are becoming reality.

I just moved into my house this weekend. I now wake up every morning to a stunning view of the ocean and the hills. At night, I have a view of the city lights of Irvine in the distance. I have total privacy. I have no homes behind me or in front of me. I have a constant ocean breeze and a third story 360 degree view. I feel extremely fortunate and lucky.

Money is a means and not an ends and you have to be financially smart but if you don't enjoy your life, what's the point? One day, we will all be dead; that's a certainty. And when you are in the twilight of your life, it's not the money you'll reflect on, it will be what you enjoyed, experienced, who you loved, what you've accomplished, and what type of human being you were. I'm not going to waste my time taking joy in other people's pain and dwelling on doom and gloom.

I'm going to live my life to the fullest.

[quote author="JCie" date=1258563525][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1258554578]

Will you be looking to buy in Shady Canyon or Crystal Cove in 6+ years?</blockquote>

Yes, exactly. My home is not an investment. I'm not a fan of Shady and Crystal Cove is too far from the freeway and would make my commute too long. I'm in Ocean Heights and it's beautiful. I will move to a larger home later so I can get more than a 3-car garage as I am a car fanatic. I have a small collection of exotic cars that I love and would like to add some very special cars to my collection when I can afford to do so.

I've supported myself since I was 17 and I went through some very hard times working my way through college. But those hard times were so incredibly important to me as they taught me a lot about financial discipline and the value of hard work and money. I still live well below my means and am so appreciative of the life I have. I started my business 12 years ago and worked my ass off growing it working insane hours. I'm still taking risks and working hard but at least I've been able to buy the type of home that I only dreamed about before. I used to be that kid with big dreams and a ton of ambition and now, my dreams are becoming reality.

I just moved into my house this weekend. I now wake up every morning to a stunning view of the ocean and the hills. At night, I have a view of the city lights of Irvine in the distance. I have total privacy. I have no homes behind me or in front of me. I have a constant ocean breeze and a third story 360 degree view. I feel extremely fortunate and lucky.

Money is a means and not an ends and you have to be financially smart but if you don't enjoy your life, what's the point? One day, we will all be dead; that's a certainty. And when you are in the twilight of your life, it's not the money you'll reflect on, it will be what you enjoyed, experienced, who you loved, what you've accomplished, and what type of human being you were. I'm not going to waste my time taking joy in other people's pain and dwelling on doom and gloom.

I'm going to live my life to the fullest.</blockquote>
That's an awesome story and just goes to show that hard work does pay off. Do you happen to be a member of 6speedonline?

Back