MalibuRenter's summer in Dallas

Congratulations, Malibu.

Great link - <strong><a href="http://www.sacbee.com/1232/rich_media/1698037.html">linkified</a></strong>.

What is scarier about CA is that fact that the stats don't show "underemployed" numbers.

[quote author="MalibuRenter" date=1259228141]The latest thing I've noticed is how many people I run into who used to live in LA. Lots of them in Dallas.

Migration of some form must explain most of the drop in LAUSD's enrollment. District enrollment is down about 9% in 7 years, and the drop is getting faster. This matches with my speculation that a lot of people have left LA. http://blogs.csun.edu/news/clips/2009/11/04/falling-enrollment-threatens-lausd-budget/</blockquote>

I wonder if illegal immigrants returning home has contributed to that decline? There's is certainly less work for everyone all the way around.

[quote author="JCie" date=1259232022][quote author="MalibuRenter" date=1259228141]The latest thing I've noticed is how many people I run into who used to live in LA. Lots of them in Dallas.

Migration of some form must explain most of the drop in LAUSD's enrollment. District enrollment is down about 9% in 7 years, and the drop is getting faster. This matches with my speculation that a lot of people have left LA. http://blogs.csun.edu/news/clips/2009/11/04/falling-enrollment-threatens-lausd-budget/</blockquote>

I wonder if illegal immigrants returning home has contributed to that decline? There's is certainly less work for everyone all the way around.</blockquote>

It appears that immigrants of all kinds are leaving. People returning to other US states, H1 and student visa expiring, illegals leaving.

I haven't driven through the areas lately where there are huge numbers of recent low income immigrants. About six months ago I saw an awful lot of for rent signs.

[quote author="MalibuRenter" date=1259228141]The latest thing I've noticed is how many people I run into who used to live in LA. Lots of them in Dallas.</blockquote>

Agreed - during our time in Dallas, we met many CA transplants. Funny thing tho....I've met many people in SoCal that used to live in TX. ;)

<blockquote>Migration of some form must explain most of the drop in LAUSD's enrollment. District enrollment is down about 9% in 7 years, and the drop is getting faster. This matches with my speculation that a lot of people have left LA. http://blogs.csun.edu/news/clips/2009/11/04/falling-enrollment-threatens-lausd-budget/</blockquote>

No surprise - it's happened before. When we left CA in late 1992, we had to find a mover that had a truck in CA to move us out of state. At that time, so many people were leaving, they had trucks outside of CA, with few returning.

"Agreed - during our time in Dallas, we met many CA transplants. Funny thing tho....I've met many people in SoCal that used to live in TX. ;)"

I knew several of those when I lived in LA. To the best of my knowledge, all of them either left CA, or are in the process of leaving now.

Without a lot of close relatives nearby, people are more likely to move. The people most likely to move are the people who already moved recently.

Also, companies are sending CA jobs to TX, here in Orange there are some hi-tech companies doing that. CA loss is TX gain.

Being a LA transplant to Houston, and now going back to LA, I've noticed that the traffic has greatly improved from what I remember in previous visits. I visit LA about 2-3 times a year so the change is very noticible.

[quote author="autox" date=1259648560]Being a LA transplant to Houston, and now going back to LA, I've noticed that the traffic has greatly improved from what I remember in previous visits. I visit LA about 2-3 times a year so the change is very noticible.</blockquote>

That would be a relief, especially if the people off the road were slow drivers, or those without auto insurance.

We finished our condo purchase in Dallas today. The close took about 12-13 minutes, including smalltalk about Thanksgiving.

There are some differences with CA. One of them is that you don't have to pick any of the intricate choices about how to hold title, like tenants in common, joint survivor, married as sole property, etc.

You also don't have to report your sales price as public record. Upon inquiring to both the realtor and the title agent, neither could come up with any compelling reason to disclose or not. The closest they got was it was easier and slightly more likely to get a tax reassessment downward if you purchased for less than the currently assessed tax value (which we did).

The closing was considerably faster than when I bought my last car. Interesting comparison, because I paid cash for both. It takes longer to buy a car in CA than a house in TX.

[quote author="MalibuRenter" date=1259659095]We finished our condo purchase in Dallas today. The close took about 12-13 minutes, including smalltalk about Thanksgiving.

There are some differences with CA. One of them is that you don't have to pick any of the intricate choices about how to hold title, like tenants in common, joint survivor, married as sole property, etc.

You also don't have to report your sales price as public record. Upon inquiring to both the realtor and the title agent, neither could come up with any compelling reason to disclose or not. The closest they got was it was easier and slightly more likely to get a tax reassessment downward if you purchased for less than the currently assessed tax value (which we did).

The closing was considerably faster than when I bought my last car. Interesting comparison, because I paid cash for both. It takes longer to buy a car in CA than a house in TX.</blockquote>
Congrats on the new purchase. I hear that getting property insurance can be a bit challenging in Texas, is that true?

[quote author="autox" date=1259648560]Being a LA transplant to Houston, and now going back to LA, I've noticed that the traffic has greatly improved from what I remember in previous visits. I visit LA about 2-3 times a year so the change is very noticible.</blockquote>

Traffic always drops during recessions, because fewer people with jobs means fewer people commuting, fewer people going shopping, fewer people going out to dinner/movies/amusement parks/clubs/whatever.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1259692934][quote author="MalibuRenter" date=1259659095]We finished our condo purchase in Dallas today. The close took about 12-13 minutes, including smalltalk about Thanksgiving.

The closing was considerably faster than when I bought my last car. Interesting comparison, because I paid cash for both. It takes longer to buy a car in CA than a house in TX.</blockquote>
Congrats on the new purchase. I hear that getting property insurance can be a bit challenging in Texas, is that true?</blockquote>

Not at all. Call up any insurance broker from progressive to state farm, and they can do it over the phone in 10 mins. Trust me, I had to do this on a Sat when I found out my previous insurance wouldn't renew because they couldn't find the house.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1259692934][quote author="MalibuRenter" date=1259659095]We finished our condo purchase in Dallas today. The close took about 12-13 minutes, including smalltalk about Thanksgiving.

Congrats on the new purchase. I hear that getting property insurance can be a bit challenging in Texas, is that true?</blockquote>

I haven't noticed any problem, but it might be easier on condos.

[quote author="autox" date=1259742457][quote author="USCTrojanCPA" date=1259692934][quote author="MalibuRenter" date=1259659095]We finished our condo purchase in Dallas today. The close took about 12-13 minutes, including smalltalk about Thanksgiving.

Not at all. Call up any insurance broker from progressive to state farm, and they can do it over the phone in 10 mins. Trust me, I had to do this on a Sat when I found out my previous insurance wouldn't renew because they couldn't find the house.</blockquote>

They couldn't find it physically to take a look at it? Or they couldn't find it on a map? In either case, if this is recent, it represents a real problem for them.

M.R. - I have some good friends who own a lighting company in Dallas...mostly commercial, but they have done some residences....specializing in the new LED lighting. <a href="http://www.wdmlighting.com/">WDM Lighting</a>

I'll be visiting them in a few weeks! Boy, can you get a huge house for the money there.

[quote author="Trooper" date=1259754995]M.R. - I have some good friends who own a lighting company in Dallas...mostly commercial, but they have done some residences....specializing in the new LED lighting. <a href="http://www.wdmlighting.com/">WDM Lighting</a>

I'll be visiting them in a few weeks! Boy, can you get a huge house for the money there.</blockquote>

Cool stuff. I'll use it in my new environmentally sensitive disco. Now servicing chai!

Back