Looks like Amazon's 2nd headquarter in Atlanta is starting to become REAL.

Fortune 11 - AO-C deserves every ounce of criticism she has been able to heap upon herself. Her many complaints were correct on just one thing: - Corporate Welfare, and yet incorrect on so, so many others:

1) Crumbling Subways  (not an Amazon problem, but a pre-existing condition)
2) "Community investment" (see point 1)
3) "Public housing" (see point 1)
4) "Good Healthcare" (Amazon provides heathcare to employees)
5) "Living Wages" (Hmm did NYC roll over for minimum wage jobs? Likely answer: No)
6) "Affordable Rent" (the only way to fix rent costs is if Bezos is a Time Lord)
7) "Cost of Living" (see point 1)
8 ) "Their Fair Share" (a squishy, feel good slogan without a basis in reality)

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2018/11/13/ocasio-cortez-lashes-out-at-amazons-plan-to-locate-hq2-in-queens-693668

AO-C doesn't realize that a tax break of X can lead to tax receipt increase 2x of what the breaks are - restaurant receipts, ancillary hiring, property tax benefits, payroll taxes, on and on and on. None of these things are financed by Empire State Development, but by the local governments and the Feds who should have been working on solutions years and years ago.

Just as it's been made clear AO-C was lying about her ability to afford a DC apartment, at some point in time, we'll find out her Amazon Prime account is paid up through 2020.

[url]https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ocasio-cortez-claims-of-not-being-to-afford-dc-apartment-crumbles-under-scrutiny[/url]

If she was such a clear thinker on issues like this, perhaps she could renounce Amazon and work on a "shop locally" campaign. Alas, it's easier to virtue signal than to get meaningful reform done. That kind of heavy lifting seems too much for this newly minted Congressperson.

In full disclosure, I do not have an active Amazon account nor do I invest in Amazon.

My .02c

Irvinecommuter said:
Agreed.  That is why I am not a libertarian.  Corporations are legally obligated to look out for their own interests (and the interests of their SHs) not society. 

That's not totally true.

Businesses won't succeed unless they are providing a product/service that society wants or improves society.

While many can argue that screen time is bad, it has also added quite a bit of convenience to everyone's lives. As with all things there are upsides and downsides but I think the advances in personal technology are overall an improvement in society.

Before Amazon Prime, I rarely shopped there, now it's probably over 50% of our purchases which helps small businesses, jobs etc.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Agreed.  That is why I am not a libertarian.  Corporations are legally obligated to look out for their own interests (and the interests of their SHs) not society. 

That's not totally true.

Businesses won't succeed unless they are providing a product/service that society wants or improves society.

While many can argue that screen time is bad, it has also added quite a bit of convenience to everyone's lives. As with all things there are upsides and downsides but I think the advances in personal technology are overall an improvement in society.

Before Amazon Prime, I rarely shopped there, now it's probably over 50% of our purchases which helps small businesses, jobs etc.

Productivity growth is what matters .

It was super high in the 90s and we reaped the rewards of a newly computerizing economy

Now it is low and nearly dead for last decade and a half . Changes since then are more incremental . One can argue social media distractions are actually NPV negative to the society as a whole ? even if there are some social justice benefits like exposing police brutality etc

@fortune11:

I agree, while social media can be a loss of productivity, it also gives a voice to those previously unheard. But at the same time, it also allows voices who should not be heard to have more access (bullying, racism, etc).

But I still feel the negatives are worth the benefits. If businesses aren't good for society, why would people want Amazon to put HQ2 near them?

irvinehomeowner said:
@fortune11:

I agree, while social media can be a loss of productivity, it also gives a voice to those previously unheard. But at the same time, it also allows voices who should not be heard to have more access (bullying, racism, etc).

But I still feel the negatives are worth the benefits. If businesses aren't good for society, why would people want Amazon to put HQ2 near them?

I think there are plenty of good things about capitalism and businesses but there is a need for significant governmental oversight.  Left to their own devices, businesses and corporations are willing to destroy society and individuals. 

Again, there is a balance to be had.  Libertarian worship of business and capitalism as the answers to everything just lack balance.

irvinehomeowner said:
@fortune11:

People esp politicians have short horizons

Like when they take on massive public debt to build ROI negative stadiums and subsidize billionaire team  owners

This is not much different . Ultimately having a well educated cohort of employable people is the best mix that should naturally attract businesses . Witness how attractive most college towns are from a real estate ROI perspective ? even for commercial landlords .

Here is capitalism for you as practiced in this country

Attachments

• D7970B8D-F30D-4440-97A0-C2FCA13B27B2.png
    D7970B8D-F30D-4440-97A0-C2FCA13B27B2.png
    662.4 KB · Views: 205
Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@fortune11:

I think there are plenty of good things about capitalism and businesses but there is a need for significant governmental oversight.  Left to their own devices, businesses and corporations are willing to destroy society and individuals. 

But who watches the watchmen? I know we've discussed this before but because government doesn't really have profit/loss to look out for, their "interests" aren't entirely for the good of society. And yes, they can be voted out... but they can get voted back in again and nothing improves.

Again, there is a balance to be had.  Libertarian worship of business and capitalism as the answers to everything just lack balance.

I agree... balance... the but the same logic applies to having the government do things that they shouldn't be involved in. That's the balance to me, let the government take care of laws, protection and some welfare, let business take care of consumers, and let charities do the rest.

Simplistic but that's how I see it.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@fortune11:

But who watches the watchmen? I know we've discussed this before but because government doesn't really have profit/loss to look out for, their "interests" aren't entirely for the good of society. And yes, they can be voted out... but they can get voted back in again and nothing improves.

I agree... balance... the but the same logic applies to having the government do things that they shouldn't be involved in. That's the balance to me, let the government take care of laws, protection and some welfare, let business take care of consumers, and let charities do the rest.

Simplistic but that's how I see it.

Transparency is the best antidote - force disclosure at all levels , including government.

Even some charities are opaque and little more than a way to shield income and gains

fortune11 said:
Here is capitalism for you as practiced in this country

it's missing the part where the rich white man is now selling bridges to the poor millennial that can't afford them!

Wow, talk about cutting off your nose.

There must be some other stuff going on here as why would you turn down such a huge job center and tax revenue stream.

"hooray, we defeated the evil corporations that employ us! my green new deal will pay you if you are 'unwilling to work' so in your face amazon!"

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
@AOC
Anything is possible: today was the day a group of dedicated, everyday New Yorkers & their neighbors defeated Amazon?s corporate greed, its worker exploitation, and the power of the richest man in the world.

As noted by another "Elections have consequences"..... They do indeed.

After this eff up, my guess is Jenny From The Block will more than likely be primary'd, and zero shiats will be forthcoming about it from her constituents or those in her party.

My .02c

Cares said:
Mety said:
WTTCHMN said:
Amazon Pulls Out of Planned New York City Headquarters
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/nyregion/amazon-hq2-queens.html

Irvine welcomes you.

Yes please. I would like an instant 10% boost to my property values.

Yeah for sure. But think about the potential buyers at Long Island City. They thought they were getting that instant 10% boost so they were buying then they hear this news. I see lots of potential buyers backing out  and many sellers suffering from yesterday's news. Some hard bubble 'bout to burst on that city.

Mety said:
Cares said:
Mety said:
WTTCHMN said:

Irvine welcomes you.

Yeah for sure. But think about the potential buyers at Long Island City. They thought they were getting that instant 10% boost so they were buying then they hear this news. I see lots of potential buyers backing out  and many sellers suffering from yesterday's news. Some hard bubble 'bout to burst on that city.

?The Ocasio-Cortez Party Turns Amazon?s NYC Plans Into HQ0

Amazon?s decision to pull out of a planned mega-campus in Long Island City, Queens, is more than a loss for Cuomo. It?s a big victory for a new generation of left-wing, constantly tweeting Democrats, embodied by U.S. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez from the Bronx.?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...ortez-party-turns-amazon-s-nyc-plans-into-hq0

HQ0

eyephone said:
Mety said:
Cares said:
Mety said:
WTTCHMN said:

Irvine welcomes you.

?The Ocasio-Cortez Party Turns Amazon?s NYC Plans Into HQ0

Amazon?s decision to pull out of a planned mega-campus in Long Island City, Queens, is more than a loss for Cuomo. It?s a big victory for a new generation of left-wing, constantly tweeting Democrats, embodied by U.S. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez from the Bronx.?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...ortez-party-turns-amazon-s-nyc-plans-into-hq0

HQ0

actually the person who sunk the deal was state senator Michael Gianaris, but he not as obvious a target is as AOC.  She opposed it for sure, but it was people like him who vetoed it down. 

Back