Looking for high end landscape/pool contractor

eyephone said:
Maybe the no work yard is not for everybody. I mean I have an okay backyard. I get compliments here and there, but I?m like whatever?s about it.

Make sure you research the contractor. We all heard the stories on TI when the contractor gets the money and leave, does a crappy job, doesn?t complete the project, etc.

I know someone that went like really cheap. Let?s ?s just say the pavers are not aligned properly and not leveled.
I know another person that the sprinklers doesn?t work properly. (the contractor doesn?t pick up the phone)

Another reason to use a landscape architect.  The contractors they recommend look for repeat business from these architects so they will stand behind their work when the architect gets involved.  We were having issues with our contractor not following the specs in the plans (cutting corners??) and Studio H (our architect) stepped in and the contractor redid the work.  Saved me the hassle of arguing with the contractor.  In addition, for those not construction savvy, the architect will inspect the work done.

sealionbeast said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
Is it really worth to have a pool though? I personally would rather just build an additional studio or a man cave or something if there was enough space in our yard. I heard those who have a pool rarely use it and it's painful to maintain. Thoughts?

It all depends. But in most cases may not be part of the MAX ROI equation. However, if you have a multimillion dollar home it may be expected to have a pool.

For me it's not about ROI, it's about having a backyard where I want to spend time and my son and his friends can come over hang out, swim, and have fun.

As long as you are aware of the ROI and additional costs (maintenance, water, electricity, chemicals, etc..)

eyephone said:
sealionbeast said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
Is it really worth to have a pool though? I personally would rather just build an additional studio or a man cave or something if there was enough space in our yard. I heard those who have a pool rarely use it and it's painful to maintain. Thoughts?

It all depends. But in most cases may not be part of the MAX ROI equation. However, if you have a multimillion dollar home it may be expected to have a pool.

For me it's not about ROI, it's about having a backyard where I want to spend time and my son and his friends can come over hang out, swim, and have fun.

As long as you are aware of the ROI and additional costs (maintenance, water, electricity, chemicals, etc..)

I am aware of the additional costs and not concerned.

irvine buyer said:
eyephone said:
Maybe the no work yard is not for everybody. I mean I have an okay backyard. I get compliments here and there, but I?m like whatever?s about it.

Make sure you research the contractor. We all heard the stories on TI when the contractor gets the money and leave, does a crappy job, doesn?t complete the project, etc.

I know someone that went like really cheap. Let?s ?s just say the pavers are not aligned properly and not leveled.
I know another person that the sprinklers doesn?t work properly. (the contractor doesn?t pick up the phone)

Another reason to use a landscape architect.  The contractors they recommend look for repeat business from these architects so they will stand behind their work when the architect gets involved.  We were having issues with our contractor not following the specs in the plans (cutting corners??) and Studio H (our architect) stepped in and the contractor redid the work.  Saved me the hassle of arguing with the contractor.  In addition, for those not construction savvy, the architect will inspect the work done.

How did you like Studio H?  I've heard good things.

irvine buyer said:
I would recommend Studio H.

Is Studio H just a landscape architect or are they also a landscaper as well?  I've decided that I'm going to with a landscape architect so I can compare apples to apples when it comes to contractor bids.

When I used them four years ago, Studio H was strictly a landscape architect.  I'm not aware that they've added a contracting side to the business.

irvine buyer said:
When I used them four years ago, Studio H was strictly a landscape architect.  I'm not aware that they've added a contracting side to the business.

Don't they have a recommended list of contractors that they use too?  I would assume if Studio H is giving business to those contractors, they'd want to do a great job and Studio H would step in if there were issues reported.

I?ve been following Danny Wang Design on instagram.  I have no idea to his pricing but he appears to be a start to finish contractor with design and construction services.  Some of his designs are fantastic and does a lot of work in Irvine.  Take a look.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvine buyer said:
I would recommend Studio H.

Is Studio H just a landscape architect or are they also a landscaper as well?  I've decided that I'm going to with a landscape architect so I can compare apples to apples when it comes to contractor bids.

I like the idea of having a pre-designed concept on blueprint and shopping it around for execution.

I can recommend George Bouyounes of BCL Inc. He is currently doing my lot. Their work is excellent. In addition he is very patient and walks the owner through every step during construction. His prices are fair, but he doesn't do designs.

If you need a landscape design, check out RMT Designs. Rosemary is the owner/designer. She has great vision and can maximize any space.

George Bouyounes - 714-856-5630
Rosemary - 949-350-8992

IrvineLifer45 said:
Hands down, best in the business is California Landscape Studios:https://californialandscapestudios.com

They have designed lots of impressive model home backyards (Alta Vista, Bella Vista, etc)

If you're looking for a resort at home, look no further.

I worked with California Landscape Studios on a project for one of my clients. It came out amazing!

I recommend Danny Wang Design https://www.dannywang.comas well. His landscape designs are on par with California Landscape Studios and I'm quite familiar with his work. Really awesome guy, too. If you take a look at his Instagram you'll see numerous examples of his work. You'll see he's done numerous projects in Hidden Canyon, Orchard Hills and Altair. His projects are often side by side with Justin's from California Landscape Studios. They are the two best landscape architects in Orange County and I would happily work with either of them. Good luck!

LandCreative is booked up and can't fit in into their schedule.  I have Studio H coming out tomorrow and I have reached out to Land Concern and Morton Design Group.

FYI - for the real estate beginners. The ROI on swimming pool is not that great. Also, factor in the in the maintenance and utilities.

eyephone said:
FYI - for the real estate beginners. The ROI on swimming pool is not that great. Also, factor in the in the maintenance and utilities.

The cost for a pool/spa are about an extra $50-75 per month for electricity and water and a pool guy will run anywhere between $80 to $100 per month. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
eyephone said:

The cost for a pool/spa are about an extra $50-75 per month for electricity and water and a pool guy will run anywhere between $80 to $100 per month.

The amount may vary depending pool size and usage. (Water pump/heated pool)

Some people have a pool and don?t even use it.
The amount spent on a new pool you might not get back dollar for dollar when you sell it. The areas to upgrade kitchen, bathrooms, and flooring.  ;)

Depending on zoning laws. Consider adding sq ft or adding separate residence. (Better ROI return)

Back