Looking for friendly city with good schools

LookieLucy

Was wondering if you knew of a really friendly city with good schools? We would want something near the 405 too if possible. :D

Thanks for your suggestions!

Lucy

Either way :) Not too far south though. I was thinking of Aliso Viejo. But I don't know much about the city.

I've been focusing my attention on the unicorn land for too long.

I'm thinking of steering away from Irvine. I've actually have had a lot of bad experiences in Irvine recently. Not sure if I'm just sensitive but people don't seem that nice. [i.e. man yelling at real estate agent for high prices, little kids not letting my daughter play on "their" slide etc] (no offense to the snobs)

I like the homes, safety, parks and school ratings though. ;)

It's too bad.

Lucy

Well... Tustin Ranch is nice... but far from the 405 (and not south).

Columbus Square is closer to the 405 and very close to Irvine (and has a nice guy who walks his dogs).

I like Aliso Viejo too... it's not that close to the 405 but it does have nice hills and elevations and Irvine-like homes (read: stucco). Parts of Mission Viejo that are close to the 405 are also very nice.

I also like Foothill Ranch, elevation like Aliso, but quite aways from the 405.

It's really hard to beat the central location of Irvine but if I worked in South County, I would probably move there (ethnic shopping/dining, top schools aside).

I hope this post shares some knowledge on the similarities between Irvine and Aliso Viejo.  You can google websites that capture the real lifestyle of Aliso Viejo at google.com

Aliso Viejo is just like Irvine was in 1990.

White alone - 29,538 (61.8%)
Hispanic - 8,164 (17.1%)
Asian alone - 6,902 (14.4%)
Two or more races - 2,034 (4.3%)
Black alone - 892 (1.9%)

It has a golf course and was recently incorporated.

The High School, AN, is better than Woodbridge according to US News Ranking with a  state ranking of 196.

The sales tax and real estate tax is very similar to Irvine with Aliso Viejo having a 2009 median income of $92,500.

why dont u try looking in cypress if schools is that important for u?  i remember reading somewhere that oxford beats university high by a landslide... i also remember per sq/ft there is cheaper than irvine too a year ago when i was home shopping... but actually thats the limit of my knowledge about cypress cause there wasnt a samwoo bbq or ranch 99... lol

Los Alamitos is right on the border with LA.

I'll ask why the 405 corridor?  If the job is in Irvine, IMHO, getting into Irvine from the north or west really sucks.

Also, what are the ages of the children for school?  Up until high school, maybe middle school, private schools are surprisingly affordable.

Also, cities in OC you would think are cr*p by unicorn land standards have some incredibly nice neighborhoods.  There is more than Floral Park in SA.  Anaheim has some great neighborhoods too.  As does Costa Mesa.  But, their school are a little more diverse.

IMHO, as you go south from the Y, outside of Lake Forest and old town areas of the Sans, it's just Irvine south.

One thing I would make sure of first is whether your kid(s) can get into Oxford or not  I think it's a teeny, tiny bit harder to get into Oxford than Uni.  :p You can always get into Uni if you have rich parents.  I guess you can find an apartment.

One thing I don't like about Cypress is that it's fully surrounded by cities that I don't care for.

world chaos said:
why dont u try looking in cypress if schools is that important for u?  i remember reading somewhere that oxford beats university high by a landslide... i also remember per sq/ft there is cheaper than irvine too a year ago when i was home shopping... but actually thats the limit of my knowledge about cypress cause there wasnt a samwoo bbq or ranch 99... lol

oh dang... i didnt know u had to test in to get into oxford!! good to know good to know... hmm...

irvinehusky said:
One thing I would make sure of first is whether your kid(s) can get into Oxford or not  I think it's a teeny, tiny bit harder to get into Oxford than Uni.  :p You can always get into Uni if you have rich parents.  I guess you can find an apartment.

One thing I don't like about Cypress is that it's fully surrounded by cities that I don't care for.

world chaos said:

Back