Long for Frugality?...Give tips here

Yeah... friends/family doing the moving is an old school thing. It's fine if it's just you or a couple moving to an apartment or 2 bedroom house... but once you have a family of 4, moving is not cool to friends or family.

I got rid of my pick-up truck just because of the sheer number of "can you help us move?" requests.

Would much rather pay people and get it done faster, and then invite friends/family afterwards to help you unpack. :)

That is funny about selling the pick-up.

What I don't like are those "house painting party" invitations you get. They try to play it off like a housewarming party but, you know, put everybody to work painting their place with some pizza and beer as incentive. Then they don't have to hire painters or do the work themselves. Who really wants a bunch of drunk people painting their walls anyway? Not me. Anyway, we passed on that invitation and just sent the card & gift.

SoCal said:
What I don't like are those "house painting party" invitations you get. They try to play it off like a housewarming party but, you know, put everybody to work painting their place with some pizza and beer as incentive. Then they don't have to hire painters or do the work themselves. Who really wants a bunch of drunk people painting their walls anyway? Not me. Anyway, we passed on that invitation and just sent the card & gift.

What?!  Who does that?  What in the world is a "house painting party?"  How is any type of labor a party?  Another torture I would never ask of others.  Plus, there's some skill involved in painting.  Pay a pro.

OCgasman said:
What?!  Who does that?  What in the world is a "house painting party?"  How is any type of labor a party?  Another torture I would never ask of others.  Plus, there's some skill involved in painting.  Pay a pro.
Changes that quote to:

"I'm NOT your Huckleberry!"

ps9 said:
I'm sending out an evite for our housewarming/kitchen tile demo/wood floor installation/ceiling-to-floor curtain hanging/garage epoxy/backyard landscaping party...
^ You know that's really what you wanted to say.

ps9 said:
I'm sending out an evite for our housewarming/kitchen tile demo party... Who's in?  Serving Bruxies and box wine.

Wait a minute, I can show up, eat, drink wine AND SWING A SLEDGEHAMMER at your house with your permission?

I'm in.

I saw a recommendation about saving on insurance and vehemently disagree.  Insurance is the one thing that you should splurge on.  Get as much protection/coverage as you can afford whether it be health, auto or home insurance.  Depending on your family's income stream, you should probably get life insurance as well.

Irvinecommuter said:
I saw a recommendation about saving on insurance and vehemently disagree.  Insurance is the one thing that you should splurge on.  Get as much protection/coverage as you can afford whether it be health, auto or home insurance.  Depending on your family's income stream, you should probably get life insurance as well.

My reasoning is:
- Insurance looks for excuses not to pay your claim. If your house gets destroyed in a freak accident or act of war or floor or earthquake you aren't covered.
- Life insurance gives people a reason to want you dead
- Insurance companies make a lot of profits

If you start from a young age putting aside the extra $300/mo you could afford on premium insurance into investments instead you'll have $200,000 by the time you're 50 that will keep earning income and will be a nice life insurance plan. It will also be a nice cushion for other insurance occurrences that get denied.

That being said, I work hard to avoid unexpected expenses (by driving new cars that don't need almost any repairs/maintenance and owning a new home, having things under warranty, etc). Large unexpected expenses decimate savings accounts.

paperboyNC said:
Irvinecommuter said:

My reasoning is:
- Insurance looks for excuses not to pay your claim. If your house gets destroyed in a freak accident or act of war or floor or earthquake you aren't covered.
- Life insurance gives people a reason to want you dead
- Insurance companies make a lot of profits

If you start from a young age putting aside the extra $300/mo you could afford on premium insurance into investments instead you'll have $200,000 by the time you're 50 that will keep earning income and will be a nice life insurance plan. It will also be a nice cushion for other insurance occurrences that get denied.

That being said, I work hard to avoid unexpected expenses (by driving new cars that don't need almost any repairs/maintenance and owning a new home, having things under warranty, etc). Large unexpected expenses decimate savings accounts.

Yes on all of those but insurance more than pays for itself when you need it.  Having a good policy also affords you better service and representation.  It is absolutely worth the extra money.

Back