Living in Woodbury East

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
I don't think the city of Irvine has any footbridge/underpass for pedestrians across any major road.
Oak Creek over Alton is one that comes to mind.
EDIT: And Woodbridge over the 405 to University Park.
There's also an underpass on the the Jeffery Open Space Trail in WB which goes underneath Bryan I believe (can't remember the exact street)....

Living in woodbury east:

Pros:  We got a very good floorplan that meets our family needs for atleast next 10 years. we would have loved to have
          a drive way of our own but such homes cost atleast 175K more.  even within WBE untill Santa Cruz offered the 4th bed and 3rd bath
          and the 20K incentive it was pretty much offering what we got [at monterey] for 150K more.

Don't know if building of pedestrian bridge across 133 to great park (if it ever happens) is a good thing or a CON. 

Cons: 1] Yes noise can be an issue. Depending on where your unit is located. 133 is not the problem though.
          as it is at a lower level when it crosses WBE. noise comes more from Sand Canyon. but Coronado plan 3's
          which are most susceptible to this sold out. So I'm assuming it is not that much of a issue.
          2] Facilities are relatively less (1 tennis court, 2pools, 2 basketball) I guess for the number of units. some costs are therefore lower compared to WB/PS. but serves our needs.
          3] parking could definitely become an issue as it gets fully occupied.
          4] water tank could be a worry but it is similar to the fire hazard in PS.

crossing Sand canyon for Schools didn't matter to us as our kids will not attend woodbury elementary because it is year round school.
In that case we are no different that PS or kids from WB who have the same constraint.

blitzjs said:
There were some good insights into why people did or didn't like living in PS that I haven't really considered.  Casero and Sevilla are two tracts that I'm considering as well as Santa Cruz in WBE.

I really like SC 3, its probably my favorite in the NHC 2010 but I'm not so sure about WBE.  I've tried driving around the community at different times throughout the day and the two things I've noticed is the lack of street parking + freeway noise from the 133.  I'm not sure if people are not using their garages or if its overflow parking from Ivy/Celadon/etc but there are a lot of cars parked on the street for a community that's not completely built out yet. 

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on WBE, especially those who already live there.  Is the road noise as bad as it seems (or is it only along the very back row facing the wall of the 133). 

For me:

Pros:
SC3 has a nice layout: big enough side yard space for me, kids rooms can easily fit a full size bed + desk, nice kitchen/dining/living area (I know this isn't really WBE specific)
Single HoA
Low MR

Cons:
Garage alley seems very narrow (more so than 'normal')
toll road 133 noise
lack of amenities
lack of street parking/visitor parking

SC is moving units much slower than I thought it would compared to tracts like Montecito so I'm thinking people are also having doubts about WBE.

scubasteve said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
I don't think the city of Irvine has any footbridge/underpass for pedestrians across any major road.
Oak Creek over Alton is one that comes to mind.
EDIT: And Woodbridge over the 405 to University Park.
There's also an underpass on the the Jeffery Open Space Trail in WB which goes underneath Bryan I believe (can't remember the exact street)....

I have seen all of the footbridge/underpass.  I just forgot about them until they all got mentioned here.  Funny how you can see those things all the time but don't pay too much attention.  I guess it's because they are not butt ugly.  They should decorate them during Christmas like they do at South Coast Plaza footbridge.

There's also footbridge on Campus at UCI.

waitin4ever said:
Living in woodbury east:

Don't know if building of pedestrian bridge across 133 to great park (if it ever happens) is a good thing or a CON. 

Once a saleswoman told me that there is no plan to build the bridge so far.  I personally think it is not a good thing for WBE community. the traffic will make the parking worse.

Irvine2Irvine said:
There's also footbridge on Campus at UCI.
Heh... that may have been one of the first... can't believe I forgot that one.

The pedestrian bridge at Yale that crossed over the railroad tracks between Deerfield and El Camino turned into an actual road.

We were considering Montecito or Santa Cruz when we were looking to purchase.  I went with Santa Cruz plan 1 with the conservatory room.  We made our decision based on these factors:

1.We were able to select a lot that only has one neighbor looking into our yard and no one behind us. This costs  us a little more but well worth it for us. With Montecito, we could not do this since there was a long wait list at the time.
2.It would have cost us another ~$350 per month for Montecito with higher mello roos and property taxes.
3.I am hoping when they build out the Great Park & the connecting bridge, I could just take my bicycle to the train station. I also like the fact that we could just take our bicycle and ride to the park when that is finished.
4.I like the fact that WBE is a little smaller & does not feel so much of a maze to get in and out. My wife always takes her car so getting the kid to school is not much of an issue.
5.My wife loved the layout of plan 1 at Santa Cruz.

We really like it so far in Santa Cruz. If your lot is not on the last street adjacent to 133, noise should not be an issue. I get up to work ~ 5 am and there is only 1 or 2 days out of 3 months since we have been here that I hear car noises. I am now realizing that the car noise is coming from the 5 freeway. It has to be the way the wind somehow carries the noise on that day. This would be the same for WB.

Sleeping at night with all the windows opened has not been an issue. Car noise was my major concern when I bought here and it turns out to be a non-issue. I hear complaints from neighbor that lives on Coronado plan 3 & the last row of Santa Cruz next to 133.

I think that once they build out the Great Park and the connecting bridge, this would turns out to be a better location. It offers great access to the park, freeway, and train stations.

Parking is a little crowded right now but I never had troubles finding a space close to the house. I just finished the back yard so I am moving the outdoor furniture to the back yard & moving both of my cars into the garage.

Blueberry East said:
My main concern (and that applies to WB as well) is the year round school in WB. Not sure if that is a good fit. It would be nice to have a long summer vacation overseas (assuming we can get that many days off).
Our work schedules don't allow us to take an 8-week vacation... so year-round suits us fine because:

1. We don't have to find summer programs to put our kids in.
2. They get academic instruction throughout the year.
3. We can vacation off-season.

Thanks for the responses thus far.

We also considered Montecito 1 vs Santa Cruz 3.  Montecito 1 is nearly 300 more a month since its about 40k more expensive on the base price + a higher MR.  While we like the location and the driveway of Montecito 1 more, we like the floor plan of SC3 better.  Also, I feel like Montecito is overpriced (compared to other new homes in Irvine, I know many feel Irvine in general is overpriced).  For a small bit more, you could get into Sonoma which has a real driveway and sidewalk.  I know Sonoma's are currently sold out but when it comes time for resale, I don't see how Montecito can stay close to Sonoma price wise. 

Where is the cell phone tower?

blitzjs said:

I think the cellphone tower is on the other side of Elysian.  I can see it from my house so I'm assuming SC can also.  It's kind of an eyesore at first, but I don't really notice it anymore...

wb said:
waitin4ever said:
Living in woodbury east:

Once a saleswoman told me that there is no plan to build the bridge so far.  I personally think it is not a good thing for WBE community. the traffic will make the parking worse.

I received some papers at the the time of closing which mentions that this bridge is a possibility, depending on funds available for it.  However, I don't see this being implemented for quite some time.  The Great Park is supposed to completely build out in 60 years (?).  I'm betting that we don't see this bridge for at least 8-10 years...

The cell phone tower is in the water tank section. Right across from the start of IVY2. I think in general visual wise
the tank and the cell tower are quite well concealed. I think people who brought that up as a CON
did it for the issues radiation and potential hazard.  But i guess it is a matter of personal preference whenther
people consider it a hazard or not. I don't think there is a definitive answer either way.

I agree with SCUBA on the possibility of pedestrian bridge to Great park. May not happen for years.

I forgot to add on my previous post, despite all the reasoning Pro's & cons that have been brought up,
and the many nights i spent thinking about them before we signed the deal, [like SCUBA] we are very happy
so far with our choice.

scubasteve said:
blitzjs said:

I think the cellphone tower is on the other side of Elysian.  I can see it from my house so I'm assuming SC can also.  It's kind of an eyesore at first, but I don't really notice it anymore...

Has anyone noticed freeway soot?  The sales people said the 133 is 30 feet below the wall they put up to help reduce soot and noise pollution, just wondering if it was an issue.

How do you distinguish it? What is one looking for to know if  it is there and how much.

blitzjs said:
Has anyone noticed freeway soot?  The sales people said the 133 is 30 feet below the wall they put up to help reduce soot and noise pollution, just wondering if it was an issue.

Good question, I don't know  :)

External furniture, walls, etc have build up on them faster than 'normal?'  I don't know what kind of soot is left from car exhaust but rubber from tires leaves a very fine black powdery soot. 

Check the air intakes on the home, such as the central Aircon, or other vents that pull/push air into the home.  If the screens/filters for those openings have black "dust" then its a problem.

Something occurred to me just yesterday while driving on the 133/241 interchange.  I forgot about this, but with all of the hype about the water tank in WE being dangerous, it reminded me: Portola Springs also has a water tank up at the top of the community close to the 133->241 ramp.  The tank is higher than the majority of the community going towards Portola Pkwy.  Does anyone not think this is significant/an issue, and if not, why is the WE water tank any more dangerous?  There are homes in PS right next to the PS water tank as well, so I'm just curious.

ajw522 said:
Something occurred to me just yesterday while driving on the 133/241 interchange.  I forgot about this, but with all of the hype about the water tank in WE being dangerous, it reminded me: Portola Springs also has a water tank up at the top of the community close to the 133->241 ramp.  The tank is higher than the majority of the community going towards Portola Pkwy.  Does anyone not think this is significant/an issue, and if not, why is the WE water tank any more dangerous?  There are homes in PS right next to the PS water tank as well, so I'm just curious.

The water tank in Portola has a fairly large drainage channel built towards the bottom of 133 which should carry water away from the homes in case of tank failure. Moreover, the Serra homes close to the water tank are at a higher elevation than the water tank. The new Sevilla homes will be at a lower elevation but the way they have graded the land, the water channel sits below those houses so flooding should not be an issue.

The WBE water tank on the other hand sits on a flat piece of land. Think about how flooding affects flat lands vs. hilly ones. In flat lands, water spreads in all directions. In hilly areas, water channels thru the lowest areas and can be controlled more easily through proper grading.

The water tank in WE is not as bad as you first look. It is built many feet below ground level.  I believe that there are some drainage outlets on the ground in case of leaking. Plus the exit on Sand Canyon is lower the bank. In case the basin is full of water, it will first overflow to Sand Canyon road rather than to the neighborhoods. Considering the size of basin and capacity of water tank, it is likely that the limited flood water will be absorbed by Sand Canyon drainage. Of course there is always a possibility of disaster anywhere you live. If there is no water tank, TIC may build another 100 homes, with additional 300 people and 200 cars in WE. By given choices, I prefer that it is a quiet place.  What about the future of the water tank? I don't know. In case IRWD abandons this tank, it will likely convert into something else rather than building new homes there.

lcms2002 said:
The water tank in WE is not as bad as you first look. It is built many feet below ground level.  I believe that there are some drainage outlets on the ground in case of leaking. Plus the exit on Sand Canyon is lower the bank. In case the basin is full of water, it will first overflow to Sand Canyon road rather than to the neighborhoods. Considering the size of basin and capacity of water tank, it is likely that the limited flood water will be absorbed by Sand Canyon drainage. Of course there is always a possibility of disaster anywhere you live. If there is no water tank, TIC may build another 100 homes, with additional 300 people and 200 cars in WE. By given choices, I prefer that it is a quiet place.  What about the future of the water tank? I don't know. In case IRWD abandons this tank, it will likely convert into something else rather than building new homes there.

It will become a hip loft residences built in the "old" water tank that will command a premium above all other condos in ther area.  If anyone can do it, TIC can do it!!!

Irvine2Irvine said:
lcms2002 said:

It will become a hip loft residences built in the "old" water tank that will command a premium above all other condos in ther area.  If anyone can do it, TIC can do it!!!

TIC can take a page out of the old Santa Ana playbook.  ;)

Back