Let's talk home prices

Talyssa

A couple weeks ago my boyfriend and I decided to walk through some of the residential neighborhoods around us.  We'd walked through the pricer one at night but it was our first time walking through there in the afternoon. 

The more expensive neighborhood we walked through is the one behind the golf course in Costa Mesa - with prices generally in the 750-1m range and largeish homes of varying character - some look like the track homes of our childhoods (well, not MY childhood, but my boyfriend's whos parents bought a brand new home in Rancho Cucamonga in 1989ish).    Some are all redone - and most fall somewhere in between.    There's a really nice little park back in there and the  homes all have 2-3 car garages and drive ways, so unlike some of the newer areas the curbsides are not parked all to hell. 

Then we walked across Adams to the mesa verde neighborhood which is more mixed, but generally smaller, older, and less expensive homes (costa mesa is not as cheap as some people would like you to think when they call it Little Santa Ana)  that are probably much more in our range in the future -- whereas we both find it a bit hard to imagine buying an 850k house.

All this got us to talking.  Who is going to buy these 800k+ houses in 5-10 years?  Or 20?  Most of the people we know (mid-late 20s, early 30s) either are just starting their careers, single, maybe pulling down 45k-60k/year  or have a few career years under their belt, making salaries that won't go up too much more (but a little!) unless they get promoted to higher level positions and making....lets say no more (or not much more) than double that, at 90k-120k.    Salaries are speculative but grounded in some knowledge from personal and close friend testimony. 

On the lower end, within my very small group of friends and acquaintences, 4 are in grad school so they won't even start seeing any meaningful income until they are 28-29.    2 are civil engineers and are in great shape financially (can't really outsource civil engineers to any major degree, they frequently hve to go physically look at a site) and could easily end up with those 800k homes,  4 or 5 of them are making starting salaries around 40k and frankly don't have a lot of immediate and large salary increase in their future, and so on.

On the upper end (generally the early 30 crowd making decent salaries) most of htem have babies, or are planning ot have babies shortly, and already went out and bought less expensive homes to keep the babies in (Detached condos or larger attached homes in aliso viejo or mission viejo for example, in that 500-600 range that is going to keep a lot of their income tied up in payments for years),  In the past decade I imagine this group would have moved up, but I don't think that is going to happen in the next decade.  Most of them stretched a little to get those homes in the first place, some of them now have wives that are no longer working, etc.   

So we ran over this list of people and felt like --- will the upper middle end homes need to drop in price in order for younger generations to eventually afford them?  Are we just overestimating how many homes in that range there are verses homes in the 400's?    Do we just know a sort of limited set of people so that our view of the world is skewed (the last two are very likely)?   

If you are heading towards 40 or beyond, what is your experience with people you knew as a young adult?  Do they all grow into fortune eventually?    How many of these people I described are really going to be able to buy a home for 800+?    We are dual income and making...i dunno actually, somewhere in the realm of 120ish - and we can't really imagine paying for an 800k home. 

Additional food for thought:  this generation (born in the 80s, grew up in the 90s) is possibly much more experience oriented than wealth oriented - as compared to our 10-years-older cousins who grew up during hte 80s.  And some of them are not all that good with money.  And I suspect hte generations growing up after us are even worse with money (I seem to know a lot of people who's teenagers trash the brand new cars their parents bought them) because they came up in the 00's when their parents could buy a fancier house, car, etc. 

This is an interesting question because if real estate always goes up, those $700-800k homes will be $1mil in 10 years.

I thought prices were high in the late 90s... and they've doubled and even tripled since then... you could get a 4br home for $300k... now 1br condos are around that much (at least in Irvine). Using conservative DTI ratios (25%), a 2+2 family would have to make $150k per year just to afford a 4br home in Irvine ($670k loan).

With unemployment as it is... prices should drop more or stay flat while income rises to make it equitable.

test said:
20-30 year olds aren't the ones buying million dollar homes, FCBs included.
I don't think that's what Talyssa was saying... it's more when these 20-30yos are 30-40yos... will they be able to afford a home that works for them in 10 years.

Based on current incomes, interest rates etc, I do think Irvine is overpriced, you should be able to do this for SFRs (I'll exclude attached products):

3-4 br $500-600k
4-5br $600-800k
5br+ $800k+

For other cities... it should be less than that (and it is in some).

The biggest hurdle is saving that 20% down. We have no magical cash reserve from our family and we have a choice - pay off a student loan with a 7% interest rate or save that cash for a down payment. Right now we have an estimate of being able to afford a 20% down in about 5 years if we both work at our jobs with no income shocks. So that puts us buying our first home when we are in our mid 30s.

EDIT: I realized my message was more of "wah wah wah" than needed. Substantial foreign investment in OC real estate has propped up the prices more than anyone could have predicted. Will that sustain? If I knew the answer to that I would be in a different line of work.

irvinehomeowner said:
test said:
20-30 year olds aren't the ones buying million dollar homes, FCBs included.
I don't think that's what Talyssa was saying... it's more when these 20-30yos are 30-40yos... will they be able to afford a home that works for them in 10 years.

Based on current incomes, interest rates etc, I do think Irvine is overpriced, you should be able to do this for SFRs (I'll exclude attached products):

3-4 br $500-600k
4-5br $600-800k
5br+ $800k+

For other cities... it should be less than that (and it is in some).

Yeah IHO has it right.  Of course no 28 year old expects to walk out and buy a million dollar home rihgt now, BUT the types  of homes that are selling in that range in nice but not exclusive or super ritzy neighborhoods, are the kinds of homes that the 30 year old might reasonably expect to buy in 8-10 years -- and my point was that I don't seem to know very many people  that might be in a position to buy a home in that range at that time, myself included.

And eventually older people move out of big family homes like the ones I was talking about, the 3 car garage 2800-3000 sq ft homes.  When children move out of hte house for good and older people start to feel the strain of cleaning and maintaining a home that size without anyone occupying most of it they start looking at downsizing.    Who are they going to sell their million dollar track homes to?  evne at 800,000 dollars it seems like it would be a financial stretch for people.  Will people end up going the route of Japan and having 40 or 50 year loans?  I know I wouldn't want a 50 year loan - its like being in debt for your entire life!

LAtoOC said:
The biggest hurdle is saving that 20% down. We have no magical cash reserve from our family and we have a choice - pay off a student loan with a 7% interest rate or save that cash for a down payment. Right now we have an estimate of being able to afford a 20% down in about 5 years if we both work at our jobs with no income shocks. So that puts us buying our first home when we are in our mid 30s.

EDIT: I realized my message was more of "wah wah wah" than needed. Substantial foreign investment in OC real estate has propped up the prices more than anyone could have predicted. Will that sustain? If I knew the answer to that I would be in a different line of work.

when you say your first home in 5 years, do you mean a 600k home or like -- what are you guys shooting for with your first property?    This is the kind of stuff I am curious about, because we are planning to buy a VERY inexpensive first place, 250k or so with a 15  year loan, 400k (I think) if we did a 30 year (Which we are not planning to do).  Saving 20% for a 250k place is easier than saving 20% for a 400k place.

ALSO, you don't NEED to save 20% - there are still options for people with smaller downpayments that have the income to support it.  So its not the downpayments I am talking about (although of course that HELPS) -- I am just saying I can't see how people who are on such a delayed financial track these days (compared to people who are 10-20 years older than we are) will be in a financial situation to buy an 800k-1 million dollar home.

People like IHO and ..someone else... have mentioned in other threads that when they got their first jobs out of college, they didn't have all the student debt that a lot of people graduate with, they were making not a WHOLE lot less than we have all started out making, AND they were able to walk out and buy their first condo for like ...100-150k?    And over the last 15 years, not only did they get started with equity building early, but home prices have absolutely sky rocketed and as I mentioned, starting salaries have barely budged.    I just dont' see how these prices can be sustained without being able to follow that same life path and I think almost everyone on this board would agree that the skyrocketing housing prices of the past are not in the stars for a good long while at least.

So who is going to buy the huge number of 800-1million dollar homes I see out there when the people currently living in them age and downsize? 

And i don't think you can blame it on foreign buyers entirely - sure some foreign buyers generally bring more cash to the table as well as a willingness to live and pay off a mortgage with an extended family but i know PLENTY of american or americanized people who bought WTF priced homes because 'thats just what homes cost here' or 'settled' for homes in cheaper ickier areas becuase that was all they would "ever be able to afford" (temecula, corona, south south county)

Talyssa said:
People like IHO and ..someone else... have mentioned in other threads that when they got their first jobs out of college, they didn't have all the student debt that a lot of people graduate with, they were making not a WHOLE lot less than we have all started out making, AND they were able to walk out and buy their first condo for like ...100-150k?
Actually... that 150k could buy a 2br SFR in IRVINE! Those same homes cost $400k+ now. And... I just looked up tuition at my college... it cost almost 10x what my cost was.
And over the last 15 years, not only did they get started with equity building early, but home prices have absolutely sky rocketed and as I mentioned, starting salaries have barely budged.
Yep... starting salaries are not 10x, triple or even double what they were back then. I actually know of a programmer who had more experience than I did coming out of college and his starting salary was probably only 20% more.
I just dont' see how these prices can be sustained without being able to follow that same life path and I think almost everyone on this board would agree that the skyrocketing housing prices of the past are not in the stars for a good long while at least.
And without NinjaLoans... I think we've seen the ceiling and things will probably still bottom and then flatten out for the next few... if not many years.

Talyssa said:
Yeah IHO has it right.  Of course no 28 year old expects to walk out and buy a million dollar home rihgt now, BUT the types  of homes that are selling in that range in nice but not exclusive or super ritzy neighborhoods, are the kinds of homes that the 30 year old might reasonably expect to buy in 8-10 years -- and my point was that I don't seem to know very many people  that might be in a position to buy a home in that range at that time, myself included.

10 years is a long time.  By then you should have plenty of equity in your starter home to help you move up, plus your savings.  Also keep in mind what you don't consider exclusive actually is relative to the rest of CA and the country pricewise.  You may look at Irvine as the norm but it's really not.

irvinehomeowner said:
And over the last 15 years, not only did they get started with equity building early, but home prices have absolutely sky rocketed and as I mentioned, starting salaries have barely budged.
Yep... starting salaries are not 10x, triple or even double what they were back then. I actually know of a programmer who had more experience than I did coming out of college and his starting salary was probably only 20% more.

That is why there is affordable housing (whether or not you agree with it).  The "moderate" level is slightly below to slightly above median income.  So median income is not expected to buy the median priced house, or even below median, the taxpayers will subsidize it for you.

[/quote]
test said:
Talyssa said:

10 years is a long time.  By then you should have plenty of equity in your starter home to help you move up, plus your savings.  Also keep in mind what you don't consider exclusive actually is relative to the rest of CA and the country pricewise.  You may look at Irvine as the norm but it's really not.

I diagree with you -- in the world of mortgages 10 years is not a long time at all.  If you buy a 350k starter home right now with 10% down, in 2020 you will have $7,728.02 dollars in principal paid down.  plus your original 35k.  That's not gonna get you an 800k house unless your income rocketed off the charts in 10 years OR if your home appreciated pretty significantly.  In hte last 15 years people did indeed gain "plenty of equity" but it was becuase of signfican't price appreciation.

So in order for your argument to work, we'd either have to see significant increases in home prices or .... well.  That's all I can think of.  (pricing increases could also occur through significant inflation I guess but then our hypothetical 800k home also might shoot up in price)  Because of the way mortgages amortize, 10 years does NOT buld you a vast amount of equity UNLESS There is significant price appreciation.    Right?

I believe test assumes you'll be saving money during those 10 years too. What is a conservative savings per year for a starter single or couple? $5k? 10k?

Even at $10k, that's only $100k which is shy of 20% on a $700k house. And like Talyssa is saying, *if* prices do appreciate, your $800k home will be more and so whatever equity appreciation you realized probably won't make up the different. This also doesn't take into account that you'll have to have enough finances to carry that 80% loan on an $800k+ home.

Oh right, i forgot about additional savings.  I don't know what a normal amount is, I think we potentially could save ... (we haven't done a joint budget yet with our new debtfree status) something like 2500 a month without sacrificing many of our current creature comforts (which includes a pretty significant amount of eating out i think) and without making any new purchases (replacing the 12 year old minivan) .      I expect our salaries to go up a decent bit over the next 10 years but I also think we may be in better shape than some as we both have decent paying career paths in front of us (hey speaking of programming, my bf's first programming job paid slightly less than 19 an hour, nice huh?) as opposed to some couples i know where one person in the relationship has a job title that caps out at a lower amount (elementary/pre school teachers, administrative assistances, etc).        And we don't have a ton of student debt at 7% interest.    So lets say people could save 25k/year x10 years = 250,000.

+ the 35 you put down
+ the 10 k in principal you've paid.

so just about 300k.  Presumably you spend SOME portion of that on OTHER expenses though - we'll have to replace  or do significant maintenance on one or both cars within that 10 year period, you'll potentially need to do one or two semi- major home repairs or renovations in that time frame (since you can't buy a brand new starter home with 350k), and in theory you want to go on a few moderately priced trips during that time.  so lets take, i dunno, 70k??  back.  That assumes a relatively frugal couple that doesn't do anything extravagant. 

So we're back to 230k.    Still have 160k for the downpayment on our 800k home.  Ok - what if you have a baby during that 10 year period?  Say at 5 years in.  How much does a baby cost from years 1-5?  My friend is projecting his newborn at around 5k in pure costs, but that doesn't take into account the lost income from his wife staying home for the next (at least) year - and if she wasn't staying home there would be childcare.  Would 10k/year be too high? 

So we're down to 205k at 5/year for a kid and 180k at 10/year.  So its doable if you're looking at a very frugal dual income couple.  More than doable assuming the income appreciation...........Oh....dammit.

i think my numbers are bad.  I took our example of savings but I didn't take what we could save if we bought a 350k place - our current rent and utilities is a less than that I think.  Then again, I didn't add additional savings to the pool over those 10 years even though income theoretically goes up.  So maybe the numbers aren't TOO bad.  I didn't add interest or investment returns either because i always budget assuming i'm not gonna get any.

So..its a possibility.  Say maybe 25% of the people I was thinking about are or could be in a similar or better situation.  That would be enough to support homes at these relative prices I think.  And in case it wasn't clear i was in no way talking about Irvine homes specifically -- this pricing is not all that uncommon across orange county.  Irvine is a bit higher overall, but the areas we tend to look at (costa mesa, huntington beach, fountain valley) are still in the roughly 600-800 range -- its just that they usually dont' have the huge HOA fees and there's no mello roos in the older areas, which jacks up the total price on an irvine home by a LOT.  I wans't taking that into account though.

I still think you've raised a valid concern though.  It's one that I worry about quite often (as it relates to my children (2 and 7 yo). 

Corporations have a very short-term mindset that essentially place downward pressure on salaries (flight to cheaper markets). 

At my firm we have Chinese and Indian engineers with PH.Ds in math working as UNIX support engineers because for 'THEM' the pay is great.  However its not great for the incumbent (regardless of nationality) that now gets to work longer hours and see a flat salary until these salaries are pushed upwards. 

It used to be that certain jobs were "protected" from this pressure (i.e. business analysts, project managers, even front-office types) but now the (at least in Asia) worker replacement at all levels is quite prevalent.

Being in Tokyo the last 12 years, I've seen many jobs moved from Tokyo to Hk, India and SG because it was "cheaper".  when the costs caught up a bit, there was further migration, either by moving into China (shenzen, beijing) or by on-sourcing (bringing cheap contracted resources on-shore to compete with the incumbents)

Its a disturbing trend that will be with us for some time.  I think the overall impact will be lower salaries for all.

going back to the initial question, I really do think that they days of people buying the 800 - 1,000K house in "droves" is over

This trend will become more prevalent once its realized that the home is exactly that a home, a place to live, not a path to wealth

Afterall, why would someone spend 30% of their income on a non-appreciating or heaven forbid a depreciating money-pit.

think its impossible, in Japan, where mortgage rates are very reasonable, housing prices have effectively not moved in the last 5 years (there was a brief period pre-Lehman credit-market crash where foreign REITS pushed up prices about 40% in the commercial centers of Tokyo, but those have re-adjusted and perhaps dropped a few % pts from the start)

there is one more impact that has not been factored in, but, it should be considered is the higher prevalance of e-work.  As this occurs in more and more sectors, the current demand in the popluation centers my decline as people can "choose" where to live while still working in their current job. 

apologies in advance if this is too negative..

gaab

This has always been the "mystery" in Irvine.  I guess it's not a real mystery as the Bay Area prices are still far far higher than what we think as "TIC high"

When IR provided mortgage info on his MLS spreadsheet, the downpayment data always surprised me. That information is real data to support the affordability question.  The homes being bought for 800-1M+ were not putting down 20%, but more often it seemed like 50%+ down and financing the rest which is actually affordable to many.  The question is where did that 50% down payment come from?  Whether equity, foreign, savings, parents, inheritance, trust fund, who knows.  But the numbers of people with 1M+ loans seemed rare. 

Talyssa said:
How much does a baby cost from years 1-5?  My friend is projecting his newborn at around 5k in pure costs, but that doesn't take into account the lost income from his wife staying home for the next (at least) year - and if she wasn't staying home there would be childcare.  Would 10k/year be too high?

Is that 5K a year?  Kids are expensive, diapers, wipes, baby food, formula, and all the "gear" bottles, brushes, sanitizer, pack and play, stroller, cribs, and on and on that seem to be "needed" with a baby in the house oh and don't forget all the baby-proofing cabinet locks, etc.

Childcare services run the gamut, for full time (8a-5p, m-f) I'd say 10K a year to be somewhat in the middle to mid-lower range from what I've seen.  For an infant (under a year old) it's low, as those rooms typically have a much higher ratio of caregivers to infants.  We were paying something like $1200/mo for full time care and it got cheaper (a little) as our kids grew older.

I see a lot of immigrant families that have grandparents nearby or living with them that can help shoulder the burden of child care while the dual-income parents work.  That  alone can save quite a bit of money.

shokunin said:
When IR provided mortgage info on his MLS spreadsheet, the downpayment data always surprised me. That information is real data to support the affordability question.  The homes being bought for 800-1M+ were not putting down 20%, but more often it seemed like 50%+ down and financing the rest which is actually affordable to many.  The question is where did that 50% down payment come from?  Whether equity, foreign, savings, parents, inheritance, trust fund, who knows.  But the numbers of people with 1M+ loans seemed rare. 
Not to fear, that data for 2010 will eventually be updated. From what I've seen... it's more of the same... even I, The Imperfect Prognosticator of the Often Maligned FCB Theory, am surprised at the amount people have put down in Irvine. When people are paying all cash for $800k+ home or put enough down on a $5m home to put the mortgage into conforming limits... it makes me wonder where this dough is coming from.

Yeah it was 5k/year - maybe that is too low, the only close friends i have with kids have very young ones and stay at home moms. 

Yeah i dunno how people are putting down all cash for an 800k home.  Investor groups and stuff sure, but regular people? i mean, if you bought during the last big downturn and your home has appreciated + the area has gotten more desirable then I think you could do it but at that point you're alreayd living in an 800k or better home, so why move?    Desire for a NEW house?

Talyssa said:
I diagree with you -- in the world of mortgages 10 years is not a long time at all.  If you buy a 350k starter home right now with 10% down, in 2020 you will have $7,728.02 dollars in principal paid down.  plus your original 35k.  That's not gonna get you an 800k house unless your income rocketed off the charts in 10 years OR if your home appreciated pretty significantly.
The amortization seems a bit off.  Assuming 4.5% fixed for 30 years (you can do better today) you'll have paid off almost $63k in principal in 10 years.

I am probably close to being the "typical" Gen-X'er who is ~10 years farther down the road than where you are now, but I sure as heck don't have any answers or good advice.  I will say, though, that if you make saving a priority, you can save a lot more than you've projected.  But you have to accept that it is indeed a sacrifice, and if it was easy, everyone would do it and you couldn't get ahead doing it.  As profound as it is, if you want to get ahead financially you either make more or save more...or both.  The wife and I have been too risk averse to try to make much more, so we became really good at saving more.  We live in an old, tiny house (for which we had 20% down after 4-5 years of working).  I fix our cars.  We do our own home repairs.  She brown bags us lunch every day.  We eat in most nights.  Maybe we're lucky that our hobbies don't involve spending much.  Maybe it's just a different mindset.  We are normal working DINKS with good (not rock star) careers.  I can tell you that almost no one near my age at work seems all that stable financially.  They find a way to spend it, whether it be on nicer digs, nicer cars, going out on weekends, etc.  My wife and I don't go out much, but we do take rare, special trips.  We are on track to pay off our very modest house within a year, and we probably already have the 20% down for the next house, which I'm hoping to buy in the next couple years.  We too want a house that today would cost $800k-1M, and I'm also expecting prices to come down at least $100k in the next couple years.  If they don't, we'll have to adapt--we might decide to rent a nicer place in the zip code we want to live in.  I'm OK with that.  It might be a "delayed financial track" but I'm sure I'll still be happy.  The boomers have to give it up eventually.

Actually, I do have 1 bit of advice, and that is to go ahead and do a joint budget (assuming you guys are there) and track your finances.  My wife and I have been doing it for years, from long before we got married, using a fairly simple excel spreadsheet.  We update it once a month without fail.  It really helps us to track our progress and to plan/budget things out well in advance. 

we COULD save more but we both are not the type to brown bag and we both work in office environments where going to lunch is part of the culture.    And we like having a washer dryer and air conditioning in our apartment - we could save about 150-200 a month by doing without that I think but we choose not to.    I understand your point that anyone COULD save a ton more, but its not in the cards for us and I don't think its in the cards for most people.  I think we are relatively frugal (no fancy cars or place to live other htan our minor amenties) but we also value our time a LOT.  We value our short commutes (10-15 minutes) over saving 100-200/month by living way up north or way down south where rents are cheaper.    Basically, we value time over money.  So we make certain financial choices where we probably consider each hour of our time to be worth a lot more money than you consider each hour of your time to be worth - and thus it makes 'financial sense'.

Yeah we're working on the budget.  The last credit card payment went out on Friday and thats what we were waiting for - I wasn't interested in combining our finances until he was out of debt.

So what really interests me in your story is the part you glossed over -- if you are comfortable telling us general numbers, how much was the 20% down on your house and how much was your income?  I bet the house price was astronomically lower than what people in the same situation today  are looking at, and the income was NOT much lower.... but you tell me.  Today someone fresh out of college without a 'rockstar' degree (like a technical degree) is looking at 35k/year.  A small livable condo with decent parking and amenities in an ok location (a 2br with parking for 2 cars in garden grove) is about 260k. 

Talyssa,

Are you willing to buy a house and rent out the rooms?  That is another way younger people afford the high mortgage prices?  Five or ten years down the line the mortgage will seem more affordable due to inflation.

Sonoma

Back