Lender found a new market: Mexico

NoWowway_IHB

There was an Onion article on finding the next big bubble - I think it was posted on Housing Panic. Well, this lender seems to have found a possible source: Mexican property to American borrowers:

http://www.ocbj.com/industry_article_pay.asp?aID=15583327.8725905.1656811.9319533.9349561.820&aID2=127438

<em>Lender Going After Americans Buying Homes in Mexico

FINANCE: Company hopes to sell bundled mortgages to Wall Street

By Dan Beighley

Orange County Business Journal Staff

Anaheim-based Worldwide Lending LLC hopes to do $240 million in mortgages in the next year or so?just not here.

The company recently opened an office in Cabo San Lucas where it hopes to lend to Americans looking to buy homes in Mexico. Within five years, Worldwide hopes to open nearly 20 offices in Mexican resort towns.

?We want to bring American-style financing to Mexico,? President Ken Gertz said.

Gertz said his goal eventually is to sell mortgages bundled as investments to Wall Street, a market that?s largely dried up after the national mortgage meltdown.

Foreign lenders long have struggled with bureaucratic tangles and trust issues in Mexico.

Worldwide hopes to minimize some of that by lending directly from its own credit line?which is extended from an undisclosed source?according to John Woodruff, the chief operating officer and a 10-year veteran of the country?s housing market.

Worldwide is looking to work with developers to bring in borrowers. The company has eight employees and doesn?t plan to build up a big sales force.

Gaining Trust

The biggest challenge is gaining the trust of developers who?ve been burned by mortgage brokers, said Gertz, a lawyer and real estate broker.

?We?re fighting to have credibility,? he said.

Gertz said he doesn?t fear competition from Mexican banks since they tend to charge interest rates a couple of percentage points higher than what he?s offering.

A typical Worldwide loan will be 30 years with a fixed rate of 8.5% to 8.75%, he said.

The average loan is expected to be about $1.3 million. Loans of $100,000 will be offered for people buying timeshares, he said.

Worldwide plans to work with borrowers with strong credit histories. They?ll be required to put down at least 20% of the value of a home, he said.

International Law

Many U.S. lenders avoid Mexico due to difficulties in working with international law to collect on bad loans.

Borrowers also have reason to fear.

In 2000, residents of Baja Beach and Tennis Club near Ensenada were ousted from their homes when Mexico?s Supreme Court ruled they were on land protected by an agreement that dated back to Aztecan rule.

The mostly American retirees who were forced off the property left behind homes that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

?In Mexico, it used to be Americans would go down, pay cash and never pay attention to the law,? Woodruff said.

American title insurers operating in Mexico, including Santa Ana-based First American Corp. and Houston-based Stewart Title Guaranty Co., have cut some of that risk.

New York-based investment bank Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. is taking a look at lending in Mexico after buying a unit of Fort Washington, Pa.-based GMAC Mortgage LLC that specializes in the market.

Lehman?s Resort Home Lending unit will also setup shop in Costa Rica, the Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Panama, Canada and Britain</em>

When I first started working for Chicago Title in '76, I heard stories

that they had tried to do business in Mexico and lost their shirts.

I have heard nothing to contradict that since.

Cubans and others who want to move south, buy in Panama and

Costa Rica, especially the later. Apparently the rule of law holds sway

there, esp, Costa Rico, which alas, cannot really be said in Mexico.

I have had clients who purchased in C. Rico and have heard nothing

bad so far. Big ex-pat community there, very cheap, easy to get people to

garden for you and clean your house.

If I were buying there, I would get a really really good Mexican

lawyer first, and I'd be inclined to borrow in Mexico too on the

premise that the big banks there have all the proper politicos

already bought.

Back