Legend of the FCB: Part 3 - Escrow or eh-screwed?

This will probably be the last in the series since it's now become more disjointed than organized:

This is the tale of how we sold our house in a down market and became renters:

Part 1: Kool-Aid Detox <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/4017/">http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/4017/</a>

Part 2: IPO Over/Under <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/4023/">http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/4023/</a>

So we are now in escrow and we push for one as quick as possible, but they set it for 30 days. I had my agent push for 2-week contingency sign-off so that we could look for a rental without worrying if the sale doesn't work out. We are confident it will close without problems because the buyers made sure their lender was set for funding before they made their offer. At least that's what we thought.

Two weeks later, the appraiser and home inspector come by the house. The appraisal is fine and comes in at contract price. In fact, the comps were priced higher than ours and were older houses with less rooms so that made the buyer more confidence. The home inspection has no major problems, just recommendations regarding updated building safety codes such as CO2 detectors, more GFCI outlets and other minor things. The beauty of having a house uncluttered, staged and clean is it puts the home inspector into the mindset that the house is well maintained and they are more apt to give you a favorable report. I was talking to him and he just came from a foreclosure that was trashed so our house looked like a brand new model home to him. And because we did a lot of prepping beforehand, the request list from the buyer was very small.

So we are thinking we are set and request the contingency sign-off when we sign back the request list. We don't get anything back for a week. We're not sure if it's our agent's fault or theirs but the silence worries us. We then find out that their lender is now having a hard time passing them through underwriting... crap. We are told the buyers are talking to another lender and also have one more backup.

As for our rental situation, we've spent the last month looking at different places and have a short list of about 5 houses. Our number 1 pick, although not the best place, is sufficient for our needs and in the area we want. We talk to their realtor to ask if there are any other offers and that we will probably rent it but are just waiting for lender docs from our buyer. He is confident we should be able to rent the place if we do so within the next week.

So now it's a waiting game. Monday rolls around and we find out that our buyers have to change lenders... double crap. Our agent tells us that this will probably add another week or two to our escrow and since we won't get a contingency sign-off, to wait before we sign any rental contracts. Great. We hope the FCB offer is still interested but our agent advises us to wait until next week before putting our house back on active status.

Then guess what happens? 2 days later on Wednesday, escrow calls me and asks me my bank information because they have to request buyoff amounts. Why? Turns out the new lender was very fast and docs came in that day and the buyers signed. All they were waiting for was funding and that escrow could actually close as early the following week which was actually sooner than our original escrow close date. It could have actually closed that week but it was Thanksgiving so it had to wait until after the holiday. This was a pleasant surprise right? Well... yes and no. We checked the online MLS site and the rental we wanted was no longer listed. Our agent called and confirmed that the owner could not wait any longer and went with their 2nd choice. They were sad to hear that we were ready because they preferred us over their new tenants who I think were students. That put us in an immediate panic mode as we would be homeless in a week.

Luckily, our buyers understood the situation we were in since they would not sign off on contingencies and agreed to rent-back their property. At first they were only going to give us a week but considering we had to start over, they gave us three. Things were still up in the air because stuff could happen before actual funding so we were still worried. The following week came and... no drama. The loan funded and I became an ex_irvine_home_owner.

With that out of the way, we went on a rushed quest to find a rental. That's its own story and maybe I'll post it if anyone is interested but it was quite a headache. That being said, we are now renting and are hoping to see prices come down to more fundamental values.

Lessons learned:

1. Use an area agent:

Our agent was great, but the local knowledge and familiarity with other local agents is worth so much. In addition, communication is much easier when it comes to signing documents etc etc. Talking to IR2 and reading about how he helped IPO and usc has convinced me to give him my business next time around.

2. Stage, stage, stage:

Even if you don't want to pay for one and think you can do it yourself... do it. Remove ALL personal items and clutter and clean EVERYTHING. The less you have, the better. But don't go too sparse, you still want to give the prospects an idea of what an area is supposed to be used for. It also makes a place look more like home if you don't have a bunch of empty bedrooms.

3. Price accordingly:

I think we may have been too high as a price closer to what we ended up getting would have generated more offers and gave us more backups. We were lucky that our first offer worked out but imagine the pain if it didn't and we had not serious backup offer to step in.

4. Get that contingency signed early if you are planning to rent:

I know this is hard to do with the credit restrictions today, but our process would have been much easier if we had more lead time to secure our housing situation earlier.

5. And this last one isn't really about selling but about buying:

We certainly could have stayed in our home as our payments were affordable. Our problem was that we were so scared of getting priced out, we settled for the home we thought was going to be our keeper. We should have been a little more patient but in a price inflation, it's very hard to do so. People are going to buy regardless of falling or rising prices and some may not want to wait until bottom because they found the perfect house for them. My only recommendation is to make sure it is the perfect house. We really liked our home, but it was just a bit smaller and was missing some features that kept us from keeping it. Otherwise, as long as buying costs more than renting, I really recommend just renting. A few months ago, I would have not said this, but considering how much money we lost on this house and had we decided to rent 3.5 years ago instead of buying... we would be in a much better situation right now. In fact, we would probably be able to buy a much nicer house right now and have the same payments.

Thanks for reading... and good luck to any of you who are thinking about going down the same path. Props to IPO and usc for setting the examples (esp to IPO since he gave me a lot of good information and was PMing me throughout the ordeal) and to IHB and IR for giving me the information to actually make this decision.

IPO, Trojan, Irvine home owner you guys are awesome! I had three good case studies to study from. I had my townhome listed the same time as IPO and he did everything right and I did everything wrong. Getting a stager and having your home painted used to be a luxury, now it is necessity to sell your home in this crazy market. Three reasons, why i couldn't sell my home last year.

Listed home in 2008

1) wrong agent - part-time mom

2) no paint - white walls - cold looking

3) no stager

This time around

1) top agent in the area - full time

2) entire house painted

3) hired a stager

Wish me luck guys. I hope i don't get raped.

When looking back, I was very surprised at the timelines because it felt like forever to me:

Decision to list and prep: 3 weeks

Listing to Escrow: 3 weeks

Escrow: Less than 4 weeks

Find a new home: Less than 2 weeks

Moving out: 1 whole friggin week!!! (again... another story for another day)

Good luck Panda.

Thanks for sharing your story IHO. I decided to start the thread on my sale based upon reading IPO's thread. I also figured that I could help some folks out on the sales process as well as to why I was selling my condo (reformed from being a housing bull thanks to IHB). I was fortunate enough that I bought the condo for a relatively low price in 2004 and fully upgraded the place with my mom. Using a staging firm and using lighter colors along with having less clutter will be things I take to heart for the next property I sell.

Oh... and that reminds me... our final sale price was only 5% less than what we bought it for in 2005. We lost more than that due to broker/seller fees, a credit line for home improvements (flooring, paint and the longest block wall in our neighborhood) and some deferred interest (yes... we had an Option ARM loan).

But despite all that cash we threw away, we felt we did okay considering how much prices had declined in other areas of Irvine that were bought back in 2005.

And the funny thing is... we didn't even sell to an FCB. But I do think they will slow price drops down... there just aren't enough of them to make Irvine immune forever.

Question on the staging... is that something that would be recommended for homes that are not as high end? My realtor up in Paso says to keep the house because the market is so down right now, but if the tenant doesn't want to renew the lease, I'm thinking that we may be better off selling it now. It's negative cash flow and due to unexpected raises, I don't think we'll even qualify for the tax deduction next year. That would be fine if the house was our ideal, but it's not. Haven't seen our ideal up there in the price range we paid, but prices seem to be coming down considerably there.

It's in the most desirable neighborhood in Paso if you don't want land. So, not the blue collar neighborhood, but the sales price would be somewhere between $330K-$350K. Is staging still recommended?

Thanks for posting your story.

I think more people can be educated or at least informed by our similar decisions to sell even though we would lose all equity (I bought at the peak in 2005 and sold in 2007).

It feels crappy to lose money on selling your house, but believe me, it will feel even crappier to stay in the house that you no longer want to be in even if you can afford to make the payments.

My wife and I are good friends with a couple that are trying to chase the market down. Here were their stages of house selling grief:

1. Bought in summer, 2004 with 20% down and feeling good through 2007/early 2008 because they don't believe OC prices go down

2. Tried to talk me and wife from selling our overpriced condo in 2007, but we didn't listen and exited Dodge.

3. They wanted to move to Irvine or nearby in summer 2008, and listed their house around October, 2008. At this time, they said "we just want to make a little bit of money from our sale"...Little bit means 10% more than their 2004 price.

4. Weeks go by, quite some traffic but no nibbles. Drop price by 2 or 3 %...Now they just want to cover their closing costs plus the costs of the upgrades to their house.

5. Rejected an offer that puts them 5% below their 2004 price (after closing costs).

6. Now, I think they just want to sell the house for what they paid in 2004.

I think if they priced it at the 2004 price initially, they probably would have sold. Now...who knows. Will they continue to chase the downward curve or get in front of the curve and price to sell?

Also, they cannot re-set their expectations about renting again...it seems they consider home ownership a higher order, and perceive the rent we pay as "throwing money away", so that's what is making them hesitant to drop their prices to really sell.

Sometimes, it takes a painful lesson like this to learn that houses are illiquid assets and buyers don't really care what you think your house is worth.

Recovering Homeowner

[quote author="recovering_homeowner" date=1231240458]

Also, they cannot re-set their expectations about renting again...it seems they consider home ownership a higher order, and perceive the rent we pay as "throwing money away", so that's what is making them hesitant to drop their prices to really sell.

Sometimes, it takes a painful lesson like this to learn that houses are illiquid assets and buyers don't really care what you think your house is worth.

Recovering Homeowner</blockquote>

Home ownership is a higher order... You can customize to your taste.

I just need to find a way to get my landlord to allow me to rip out the birch laminate in our rental and put down some nice, dark, engineered wood. Ah, that would be the best of both worlds! We get upgrades and someone else pays for them!

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1231234924]Question on the staging... is that something that would be recommended for homes that are not as high end? My realtor up in Paso says to keep the house because the market is so down right now, but if the tenant doesn't want to renew the lease, I'm thinking that we may be better off selling it now. It's negative cash flow and due to unexpected raises, I don't think we'll even qualify for the tax deduction next year. That would be fine if the house was our ideal, but it's not. Haven't seen our ideal up there in the price range we paid, but prices seem to be coming down considerably there.

It's in the most desirable neighborhood in Paso if you don't want land. So, not the blue collar neighborhood, but the sales price would be somewhere between $330K-$350K. Is staging still recommended?</blockquote>
Staging depends on the current condition of your home, how is it furnished and how it's accesorized. Like usc's home had great upgrades so he really didn't need a stager. Our house, while we had upgraded flooring, paint and new furniture had no accesories so the stager provided all of that. You may not need to hire a stager but you should do your own staging to make the house more appealing.

For example, we just recently visted some friends and they have really great upgrades, furniture, flooring, paint and accessories. They wouldn't need stager... just to clean up all their clutter and de-personalize it. Other places, that look really dated, need a stager to bring in more updated items so the buyer doesn't think they are walking into a house that hasn't changed since it was built. That was one comment our buyer's agent had, that our place was the only that looked like someone actually put some work into it and made it more modern... which really had an impact on the buyers since they had looked at many homes.

I don't know what the prices of staging is in your area but the quotes we got were all in the same range and when we calculate the cost it was about less than 1/4 of a percent of our sales price so it just made sense. If you can pay an agent 2% to 3% to sell it... you can drop another 1/4% to help sell it for more.

But again... your mileage may vary.

Back