Legado in PS - anyone currently live there? Any other thoughts/opinions?

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster who is in a similar situation to the OP, and wanted to get some feedback from TI members. 

My wife and I are considering a Legado Plan 2, but we are also weighing it against a possible Trellis Court Plan 4.  Both homes are fairly similar in size (2070 for TC, 2185 for Legado), have 4 bedrooms with one on the first floor.

The TC home would roughly be about 50-70k more, but the higher mortgage would be offset by the MR difference, which effectively makes the monthly payments about even.

For my wife and I, we like the Legado floor plan a little more, but not incredibly so.  Legado?s current PS5 location would probably add about 10, maybe 15 minutes to our work commutes each way, so the TC location is more convenient.

Both seems like good options, but I did want to see what do TI members think about the future value of these neighborhoods?  Does PS5 seem too remote?  Would living across from the Ice Hockey Rink and the Base Camp he seen as a negative (in terms of noise, traffic, etc)?

Thank you for your help!

Jantoven said:
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster who is in a similar situation to the OP, and wanted to get some feedback from TI members. 

My wife and I are considering a Legado Plan 2, but we are also weighing it against a possible Trellis Court Plan 4.  Both homes are fairly similar in size (2070 for TC, 2185 for Legado), have 4 bedrooms with one on the first floor.

The TC home would roughly be about 50-70k more, but the higher mortgage would be offset by the MR difference, which effectively makes the monthly payments about even.

For my wife and I, we like the Legado floor plan a little more, but not incredibly so.  Legado?s current PS5 location would probably add about 10, maybe 15 minutes to our work commutes each way, so the TC location is more convenient.

Both seems like good options, but I did want to see what do TI members think about the future value of these neighborhoods?  Does PS5 seem too remote?  Would living across from the Ice Hockey Rink and the Base Camp he seen as a negative (in terms of noise, traffic, etc)?

Thank you for your help!

Curious how much these are going for now? Are they both over $900K?

Jantoven said:
Hi all,

Thank you for your help!

Not sure if assigned schools matter with you and they are different for TC and Legado. You're right that CV is more centralized, closer to the major fwy and the Woodbury Town Center. Some people like the established retail center or want to be closer to the major fwys, so that's another factor you'll want to think about. PS 5 is more secluded now, but you never know what the future will look around the area.  There are potentials in PS 5, but you'll have to wait a bit longer to see what the future holds. There are more streets to get you between PS4 and TC (e.g. Great Park) so traffic shouldn't be a big deal. Does it really take an extra 15 min each way? Honestly, driving in the Great Park neighborhood is pretty nice especially when the big orange balloon is almost in front of my face.

rickr said:
Jantoven said:
Hi all,

Thank you for your help!

Curious how much these are going for now? Are they both over $900K?

I believe that the Legado Plan 2 is in the low $900s and the Trellis Court Plan 4 is in the high $900s so they have both gone up since the Phase 1 prices.

I was really disappointed by the Legado models, the materials used felt really cheap to me even in  the  models.  I couldn't believe that they didn't even round the drywall corners in these  homes.  Almost  (if not all) new  builds in Irvine I've seen in the  last 8-10 years always round the drywall corners.  Not doing so looks and feels really  cheap and dated.  Then there's  the baseboards, the door casings, the can lights, they all felt cheap in Legado models.

aquabliss said:
I was really disappointed by the Legado models, the materials used felt really cheap to me even in  the  models.  I couldn't believe that they didn't even round the drywall corners in these  homes.  Almost  (if not all) new  builds in Irvine I've seen in the  last 8-10 years always round the drywall corners.  Not doing so looks and feels really  cheap and dated.  Then there's  the baseboards, the door casings, the can lights, they all felt cheap in Legado models.

What do you expect from a value village? come on!

Homer_Simpson said:
aquabliss said:

What do you expect from a value village? come on!

LOL.. PS?  Gotta go to OH man!

RangeRover said:
Not sure if assigned schools matter with you and they are different for TC and Legado. You're right that CV is more centralized, closer to the major fwy and the Woodbury Town Center. Some people like the established retail center or want to be closer to the major fwys, so that's another factor you'll want to think about. PS 5 is more secluded now, but you never know what the future will look around the area.  There are potentials in PS 5, but you'll have to wait a bit longer to see what the future holds. There are more streets to get you between PS4 and TC (e.g. Great Park) so traffic shouldn't be a big deal. Does it really take an extra 15 min each way? Honestly, driving in the Great Park neighborhood is pretty nice especially when the big orange balloon is almost in front of my face.

Thank you for the response!

Personally, I am fine with either school.  15 minutes is probably a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but I figure it would probably take about 10 minutes longer or so on average for both my wife and myself to get to and from work. 

It's a tough call, and I am also trying to keep an eye on future value, as who knows if we would ever need to sell/move in the future. 

I suppose the overall question is, would you pick a place that is more central/near activities/closer to work, but potentially significantly more noisy/trafficky, or would you pick a place that is more secluded/quiet with a slightly better floorpan (in our opinion), but further away from most things (retail, work, family)?

Jantoven said:
It's a tough call, and I am also trying to keep an eye on future value, as who knows if we would ever need to sell/move in the future. 
If your biggest concern is resale value, then Trellis Ct is a no brainer. Cal Pac homes are well designed and have historically provided great returns for buyers. If you must live in Portola Springs, at least wait and see the new Cal Pac homes that will be available there soon but understand that Portola Springs is a great place to live, but not a great place to invest.

Jantoven said:
RangeRover said:

Thank you for the response!

Personally, I am fine with either school.  15 minutes is probably a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but I figure it would probably take about 10 minutes longer or so on average for both my wife and myself to get to and from work. 

I suppose the overall question is, would you pick a place that is more central/near activities/closer to work, but potentially significantly more noisy/trafficky, or would you pick a place that is more secluded/quiet with a slightly better floorpan (in our opinion), but further away from most things (retail, work, family)?

You're very welcome! My personal choice would be No. 2 (Secluded/Quiet/Better Floor Plan/Further from major retail). I was already scarred from living next to the busy street and the noise just got worse over time. I end up choosing a place that's more secluded/quiet, but not way too secluded such as up in the hills. Although it takes 5 min more to get to the major retail, the extra time doesn't bother me. 5-10 min longer is much better than taking extra 20-30 min longer.

Burn That Belly said:
The commute will definitely be an additional 15 mins each way during rush hour. Sand Canyon particularly very bad. Other option is to take 133.

How about ???? or ???? ? Wait I?m not going to say it. People think I would be pumping it or I?m getting paid for it.

For once I?ll answer differently:
Have you considered resale?s in SG, CV, NW, WB?

Depends on where you commute to. Portola Parkway doesn't have much traffic, you are more convenient to the 241 toll road.

I've found that commuting from Portola Springs is particularly convenient and fast. Even when I worked near the District I got there in 12 minutes taking Portola Parkway to the 261.

I live in Pavilion Park and avoid driving Irvine streets completely unless I am going to Woodbury Town Center. It is either the 133 or take the 261 after driving down Portola Pkwy. Portola never has traffic.

When I first moved in I told myself I'm not going to pay the toll charges. After 3 days I was sold. Worth every penny. I look at it as saving money on gas since I am not in stop and go traffic. Actually get way better MPG out of the car using the toll versus Sand Canyon.

Driving down San Canyon would take me 45 min to get to work (Costa Mesa). Toll road either with 133 or 261 takes me 25 min (30 max). Plus I keep my sanity.

Burn That Belly said:
rickr said:
I live in Pavilion Park and avoid driving Irvine streets completely unless I am going to Woodbury Town Center. It is either the 133 or take the 261 after driving down Portola Pkwy. Portola never has date=1508260639]traffic.

When I first moved in I told myself I'm not going to pay the toll charges. After 3 days I was sold. Worth every penny. I look at it as saving money on gas since I am not in stop and go traffic. Actually get way better MPG out of the car using the toll versus Sand Canyon.

Driving down San Canyon would take me 45 min to get to work (Costa Mesa). Toll road either with 133 or 261 takes me 25 min (30 max). Plus I keep my sanity.

What happens when they make the 133 toll "public" like they said?  Everybody and their nanny, babysitter, contractor, tile installer, and landscaper would be driving it. Sounds like it is a good thing to keep it a toll.

That won't happen for another 25-30 years...by then there will be self driving/flying cars.

Burn That Belly said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Burn That Belly said:
What happens when they make the 133 toll "public" like they said?  Everybody and their nanny, babysitter, contractor, tile installer, and landscaper would be driving it. Sounds like it is a good thing to keep it a toll.

That won't happen for another 25-30 years...by then there will be self driving/flying cars.

Oh, I could have sworn many GP/PS5/Altair proponents on here were swearing this would occur imminently and would be the greatest selling point. Prime example of: never believe a word anyone on the internet says.  (myself included) ;D

honestly if you're paying $10k a year in MR, what's another hundred bucks a month for the 133?

Back