least attractive feature of a detached condo?

what is the least attractive feature of a detached condo?

• dual hoa

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • motor court / courtyard layout

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • no yard, small yard

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • no or shared driveways

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • cost compared to attached condos

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • others

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

villiagepeople

at the risk of sounding like a TIC marketing troll i'm wondering what everyone here thinks of the detached condo... thing is i actually prefer the motor court setup... and the smaller yards.  as for price, i consider them the best bang for the buck, and for the price range i'm looking at... ~500k you're not going to find a detached sfr in irvine.

to answer my own question, the dual hoa is what i dislike about a detached condo... i didn't have any problems with my hoa when i used to own a condo but when i sold, the property management raped me for fees and doc costs... and made me pay it twice because i didn't have it directly sent to escrow (don't get me started on the incompetence of the escrow company or my realtor either)... i can imagine dealing with 2 of them.  second, if you think about it.. say you pay $200 a month for a sub association... over 30 years, 360 payments, that's 72k... @5% rate... you could a house that's 36k more that didn't have the extra hoa... and it'll probably increase many times over the 30 years (in the three years i was in a condo the hoa increased 3x from $175 to $255).

I've been living in a detached condo for 8 years, and at this point the shared driveway doesn't even really bother me (plus, I have quiet and considerate neighbors). Both the master and sub HOA aren't too high. I actually paid a small premium for a larger backyard, but even then I hardly use it. It also depends on the location... some detached condos are surrounded by so many neighbors, others have their own space with no neighbors in the front or back, plus front door facing the curb.

HOA includes insurance, maintenance, landscaping, replacement reserves.  Worth every penny and cheaper overall than maintaining a house on your own.

test said:
HOA includes insurance, maintenance, landscaping, replacement reserves.  Worth every penny and cheaper overall than maintaining a house on your own.

1 hoa can do that... what's the benefit of 2?

oohhstuftcrust said:
I've been living in a detached condo for 8 years, and at this point the shared driveway doesn't even really bother me (plus, I have quiet and considerate neighbors). Both the master and sub HOA aren't too high. I actually paid a small premium for a larger backyard, but even then I hardly use it. It also depends on the location... some detached condos are surrounded by so many neighbors, others have their own space with no neighbors in the front or back, plus front door facing the curb.

there are 2 detached condo layout's i've noticed... 1 which i see in aliso viejo and foothill ranch a lot is where the garage is next to the front door but say 5 or 6 houses share a small roundabout... the other, (which i see in irvine) is the one where the garage is in the back and the driveways are longer and they have a side yard... i prefer the later.

villagepeople said:
test said:

The 2nd HOA is there regardless if it's an attached condo, detached condo or regular SFR, in the same community, since we are comparing apples to apples.

test said:
villagepeople said:
test said:

The 2nd HOA is there regardless if it's an attached condo, detached condo or regular SFR, in the same community, since we are comparing apples to apples.
Not sure how you are classifying what is a community.

In Woodbury East, Santa Cruz does not have a 2nd sub, the owners only pay the WBE HOA. Other homes in WBE have 2 HOAs.

In Woodbury, most (if not all) of the condos have a 2nd sub on top of the Woodbury HOA. Monte/Sono/Carmel don't for example.

irvinehomeowner said:
test said:
villagepeople said:
test said:

In Woodbury East, Santa Cruz does not have a 2nd sub, the owners only pay the WBE HOA. Other homes in WBE have 2 HOAs.

In Woodbury, most (if not all) of the condos have a 2nd sub on top of the Woodbury HOA. Monte/Sono/Carmel don't for example.

You don't read too good.  I said apples to apples not apples to oranges.  You are comparing attached to detached.  We are comparing detached to detached.

test said:
irvinehomeowner said:
test said:

You don't read too good.  I said apples to apples not apples to oranges.  You are comparing attached to detached.  We are comparing detached to detached.
Maybe it's the way you write, you wrote:

"The 2nd HOA is there regardless if it's an attached condo, detached condo or regular SFR, in the same community..."

Not sure what you mean by comparing detached to detached, I think there are other detached condos in WBE.

In addition, there are detached condos in Woodbury that have 2 HOAs, but the SFRs do not.

Same with Portola Springs, detached condos have 2 HOAs, but Los Colinas and Sierra do not.

Or are you just referring to Tustin Legacy where all products have 2 HOAs?

irvinehomeowner said:
test said:
irvinehomeowner said:
test said:

Maybe it's the way you write, you wrote:

"The 2nd HOA is there regardless if it's an attached condo, detached condo or regular SFR, in the same community..."

Not sure what you mean by comparing detached to detached, I think there are other detached condos in WBE.

In addition, there are detached condos in Woodbury that have 2 HOAs, but the SFRs do not.

Same with Portola Springs, detached condos have 2 HOAs, but Los Colinas and Sierra do not.

Read this.

villagepeople said:
the dual hoa is what i dislike about a detached condo...

Do you understand the difference between detached with 2 HOA and detached with 1 HOA?

irvinehomeowner said:

Sorry, detached homes in Tustin Legacy only have 1 HOA unlike the jumbled mess that is the new home collection, try again.  As usual when you have no argument you try to go off topic. 

villagepeople, if you live in a community that has a master HOA, that pays for the community streets, parks and landscaping.  If you have a sub HOA in addition to the master HOA, that pays for insurance, maintenance and reserves for the building plus any streets and landscaping within that sub neighborhood.

thanks for the clarification on what the hoa covers test... thing is, i think homeowner understood it as i did... i was under the impression that all sfr have only 1 hoa while detached condos as well as attached condos have dual hoa...

test said:
villagepeople, if you live in a community that has a master HOA, that pays for the community streets, parks and landscaping.  If you have a sub HOA in addition to the master HOA, that pays for insurance, maintenance and reserves for the building plus any streets and landscaping within that sub neighborhood.
So, if a detached SFR has a sub-HOA and a master HOA, then the sub will insure and maintain the building?

I stll think it depends on the sub-HOA. I don't know of a detached SFR HOA tract that has two HOAs and the sub-HOA covers the maintenance of the house. We have a sub-HOA and all they cover is the landscaping and maintenance of the common areas. If one of my roof tiles cracks, I'll be replacing it, not the sub-HOA.

@bones:

Is your home an SFR or a detached condo?

I actually am looking to get clarity on this because there are few detached condo tracts I am looking at but the indication is that I am still responsible for the upkeep of the building.

I'm looking through the Quail Hill SFRs on Redfin and it seems like they all have sub-HOAs. Is that right?

If so... I doubt they cover the externals of the houses. If you're going to pay 2 HOAs, I would hope you get more out of the second to help reduce your other costs (like insurance).

wow... i'm quite surprised... most of the people who answered the poll do not like detached condos for the "outside layout" (motorcourt or lack of driveway)

i didn't grow up in the best neighborhood... and the first time i saw the couryard layout.. i thought to myself... this is a great idea, no way can they do a drive by.

villagepeople said:
i didn't grow up in the best neighborhood... and the first time i saw the couryard layout.. i thought to myself... this is a great idea, no way can they do a drive by.
I can relate to that.

villagepeople said:
wow... i'm quite surprised... most of the people who answered the poll do not like detached condos for the "outside layout" (motorcourt or lack of driveway)

:p

Back