Large Hadron Collider goes operational tomorrow

If they can just tell me definitively whether light is a <strong><a href="http://spectroscopymag.findpharma.com/spectroscopy/The+Baseline+Column/Light-Particle-or-Wave/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/337288">particle or a wave</a></strong>, I'll be happy. (My vote is for particle, btw.)

Oh, and that pesky question about our ever-expanding universe... I'd like to know what it's expanding into too, please.

Thanks in advance, French and Swiss scientists,

-IR2

IR,

I think as a singular photon, light will act as a particle. Once you get it acting with a group of photons, its going to act more like a wave. I guess this goes in line with the quantum state "theory". Again, as always, the problem is; looking at the problem IS the problem.

What I find funny is that they are going to pack the photons in tight enough to create a "solid". Solid light?!?!?! Holy crap! that's something that i would not have tought of.

Oh well, good luck

-bix

[quote author="skek" date=1221025051]the LHC is going to recreate the Big Bang and destroy all of existence .</blockquote>

What's worse? That or having to live through the next 56 days of election season?

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1221111664]Big Bang or Big Suck? Hummmmm

-bix</blockquote>

Ah, that is indeed the question on some people?s minds. Losing, gaining or at least finding the Higgs field leading to a singularity is a fear to some, similar to the fear of a global chain reaction following the first nuclear explosion.

The collisions will likely produce black holes, mini-black holes. But because of the very high gravity force of a black hole, and recalling our freshman year physics gravitational equation, the black holes will be attracted to the largest gravitational mass in the immediate area, the center of the earth.

The consolation is no one will likely know about it because, 1) quantum physics reactions are instantaneous and we would be compressed to infinite mass instantly, or 2) the black holes are so small to not have enough energy to consume us or a significant amount of the matter around it. Maybe.

The black holes will come into existence instantaneously, but the transit time toward the center of the earth will be finite. A question is what happens during the transition. :)

Just been reading a few articles from this... i must be disleyxic because I keep seeing Large HARDon Collider. :lol: And of course the fat jokes have started....

This little gem came up...

"Your Momma is so fat she couples strongly to the Higgs"

sorry, nerd humor is getting the best of me.

-bix

Here's a youtube of it. I recognize this thing....it was in The DaVinci Code !

<object width="325" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/youtube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="325" height="250"></embed></object>

I watched a couple of different programs on the Science channel about this atom smasher and the experiments they are running (I am nerdy that way). If they can actually create a Higg's Boson, it is something that has not existed since the first nanoseconds of the universe's existence 15 billion years ago. It would be an amazing accomplishment.

Back