landscaping question

gld2

I have a rental house.  The grass of the front yard and backyard all are dead,  i need to do the landscaping,  but don't want to spend  a lot of money.  If i just do the soil/sand and throw the seeds on it,  does it work?  how much will it cost?  The lot is about 5,000 SF, and the house is 1500 sf.

Thanks for the help

It really depends on how bad the grass is. Most of the time, you can just water your lawn really well 2-3 times a day and your grass will be like new in no time. If you have allot of areas that are dirt patches, I recommend applying a layer of seed and then a layer of top soil.  If the grass is green with scattered brown spots, it needs to be fertilized. Good luck.

Think of it as an opportunity to replant with native California drought tolerant plants in the yard, instead of turf grass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeriscaping

2662451375_3a4b527e2b_z.jpg

The grass all turned grey :(

JasonTheArtist said:
It really depends on how bad the grass is. Most of the time, you can just water your lawn really well 2-3 times a day and your grass will be like new in no time. If you have allot of areas that are dirt patches, I recommend applying a layer of seed and then a layer of top soil.  If the grass is green with scattered brown spots, it needs to be fertilized. Good luck.

JasonTheArtist said:
I'm in agreement with Jason.

Even if the grass is all grey... I think you can revive it with seed and top soil.

If the lot is that big, to re-sod...roughly $2 per sq ft for marathon for a landscaper to do...gets expensive...

Our small patch of grass in the front (about the size of that area in front of Momopi's picture with the drought resistant plants) had many bare spots.  We added the seeds ourselves and watered it couple times a day but the results weren't good.  My wife unfortunately hired these guys that were going around the neighborhood looking for houses with ugly grass.  They took out the old grass, seeded it and put dirt over it and some stinky fertilizer on it.  After about 4 or 5 weeks, it did look respectable.  They did come back to seed some more when one spot wasn't growing any grass.  It does look better now but I think our sprinkler is not watering enough as we are starting to see brown spots again.  Or, maybe the neighbor dog is using it as a toilet?  The grass does not look as dense as our neighbors.

I don't see them as much lately but I see rabbits in my front yard grass area at nightime.  Do they cause problems?

My wife wants to rip it out and put in synthetic grass.  Is that a good option?  I wouldn't mind putting in drought resistant plants but ALL the neighbors around here have grass in front and I don't want to have to deal with the HOA to get permission.

I hear cat urine can be a problem depending on the type of grass.  Dogs and bunnies not so sure.  If in HOA community I would advise "standing" out :).  Artificial turf does stand out for me...  Might get a HOA letter to rip it out a few months down the road... I would submit the proper forms first.

irvinehusky said:
Our small patch of grass in the front (about the size of that area in front of Momopi's picture with the drought resistant plants) had many bare spots.  We added the seeds ourselves and watered it couple times a day but the results weren't good.  My wife unfortunately hired these guys that were going around the neighborhood looking for houses with ugly grass.  They took out the old grass, seeded it and put dirt over it and some stinky fertilizer on it.  After about 4 or 5 weeks, it did look respectable.  They did come back to seed some more when one spot wasn't growing any grass.  It does look better now but I think our sprinkler is not watering enough as we are starting to see brown spots again.  Or, maybe the neighbor dog is using it as a toilet?  The grass does not look as dense as our neighbors.

I don't see them as much lately but I see rabbits in my front yard grass area at nightime.  Do they cause problems?

My wife wants to rip it out and put in synthetic grass.  Is that a good option?  I wouldn't mind putting in drought resistant plants but ALL the neighbors around here have grass in front and I don't want to have to deal with the HOA to get permission.

What does everyone think about synthetic grass/artificial turf? I need to landscape a small area ~500 sqft and some parts do not get direct sunlight. I have been told that grass does not grow without direct sunlight so I'm considering artificial turf... Any thoughts? If you have artificial turf, can you post your pics?

I would do artificial turf in the backyard.

One of the houses we toured had that and said it was good for their dog because they can hose it off and it doesn't turn brown.

socaltrojan81 said:
What does everyone think about synthetic grass/artificial turf? I need to landscape a small area ~500 sqft and some parts do not get direct sunlight. I have been told that grass does not grow without direct sunlight so I'm considering artificial turf... Any thoughts? If you have artificial turf, can you post your pics?

For this kind of area, how about some pavers - maybe herringbone pattern - with moss growing in between? I love this look.

I like the easy maintenance but I don't like the way it looks.  When I redid my side fence, I had it rebuilt using wood again instead of synthetic material because of the look...and price too, of course.  The HOA makes some of those choices or non-choices for you.

socaltrojan81 said:
irvinehusky said:

SoCal said:
socaltrojan81 said:

For this kind of area, how about some pavers - maybe herringbone pattern - with moss growing in between? I love this look.

Sounds like a good idea but I really want some green for a future pet. Anyway, Were you referring to one of these?
http://www.houzz.com/photos/331494/Villa-Terra-mediterranean-exterior-san-franciscohttp://www.houzz.com/photos/406949/Mexico-House-mediterranean-exterior-new-york

I seriously lack imagination so any help is appreciated.

Costco has artificial turf, 7.5' x 12.5' for $349, that's pretty expensive.  Almost $4 per sq ft and no installation.

socaltrojan81 said:
SoCal said:
socaltrojan81 said:

Sounds like a good idea but I really want some green for a future pet. Anyway, Were you referring to one of these?
http://www.houzz.com/photos/331494/Villa-Terra-mediterranean-exterior-san-franciscohttp://www.houzz.com/photos/406949/Mexico-House-mediterranean-exterior-new-york

I seriously lack imagination so any help is appreciated.

For a small backyard space, any tighter pattern will do. 45 degree herringbone, 90 degree herringbone or herringbone cobble, basketweave, mission weave, etc. Whatever you like. There are also patterns which contain circles or scallops. For a larger space, my personal favorite are simply square pavers set on the diagonal.

David Foster's backyard.  :-*
real-housewives-of-beverly-hills-season-3-yolanda-foster-crib-04.jpg

About those links. I can't really tell from the first photo if there is anything growing between the bricks. Also, the bricks are kind of outdated, imo. Maybe a different color or add a border.

Back