Landscaping for new construction

lookinginirvine

When you buy a new contrusction house, do you do your landscaping immediately or do you normally have to wait for the soil on the house to settle before doing your landscaping?

I'm reading the HOA papers for Stonegate right now and they give you one full year to do your landscaping. Is this to allow time for the sub surface to settle before landscaping?

I don't want my landscape to sink and be ruined if I do it too early before the house has time to settle, but at the same time I want to be able to enjoy my "backyard" as soon as I can and not have it look ghetto for a whole year.

Anyone did their landscaping immediately after close of escrow? How's your landscaping looking now? Any issues?

Consult with the landscapers, as I think it would be unlikely, but may be a concern depending upon what you have in mind...
I recommend Patrick @ www.pmld.net

Good luck and congratulations again,
-IrvineRealtor

lookinginirvine said:
When you buy a new contrusction house, do you do your landscaping immediately or do you normally have to wait for the soil on the house to settle before doing your landscaping?

I'm reading the HOA papers for Stonegate right now and they give you one full year to do your landscaping. Is this to allow time for the sub surface to settle before landscaping?

I don't want my landscape to sink and be ruined if I do it too early before the house has time to settle, but at the same time I want to be able to enjoy my "backyard" as soon as I can and not have it look ghetto for a whole year.

Anyone did their landscaping immediately after close of escrow? How's your landscaping looking now? Any issues?

My home is 2 years old and it is still settling inside and outside. Drywalls are cracking in many places and my front steps, cover by pool coping, is tearing away from the house like a glacier. I can't even get it fixed before it stops moving.

I don't think it has anything to do with settling. Because you can buy landscaping upgrade from builder in which
case you move in with a fully done yard. I think with the way people use up to the maximum limit (money)
most probably they don't have time or money left for landscaping. thus HOA sets a max limit of 1 year before
it has to be done. That is how long HOA will tolerate a ghetto too.

lookinginirvine said:

Went with Sunset Garden Care. The guy was nice and cheaper than some of the other quotes I got. I'm satisfied with the work too. My neighbor used him too.

After getting a number of estimates, we kindof shortlisted these landscapers. Wanted to get some feedback before committing on one of them.
- Savannascapes
- NuEra
- Greenline
- Galvan
Any one used them before?

I saw home done by savannascapes here in my neighborhood and they did a really good job from what I could tell

IrvineRepublic said:
My home is 2 years old and it is still settling inside and outside. Drywalls are cracking in many places and my front steps, cover by pool coping, is tearing away from the house like a glacier. I can't even get it fixed before it stops moving.

Have you contacted the builder about these issues?

p.s.  what company was the builder?

javacly said:
After getting a number of estimates, we kindof shortlisted these landscapers. Wanted to get some feedback before committing on one of them.
- Savannascapes
- NuEra
- Greenline
- Galvan
Any one used them before?

If its the same Galvan.. he did my itty bitty backyard when I was at my detached condo... planters, pavers... work was decent, no issues.. he was cheaper than others... but that was 7-8 years ago..

I used Savannascapes, and they actually just finished my backyard recently.  The owner Sean is a nice guy, and I felt like the quality of the work is good for the price.  It wasn't completely without hassles, but I get the impression that my issues are pretty common to any landscaper; everything moved slower than I was told, and there were a few oversights that had to be fixed after I pointed them out.  Overall, I had a pretty good experience, but this was my first house so have nothing to compare to other than my brief dealings with other landscapers during the quote phase.

Edit: I got a follow-up question about what kind of oversights I was talking about.  Nothing major, things like:
1. An area of the yard wasn't draining as well as I wanted, so they added another drain at my request.
2. The 6x16 blocks initially used to build my BBQ wouldn't line up properly when offsetting them between layers, so they redid it using 8x16 blocks instead (which did).

Sean reviewed his guys work pretty regularly, and had them redo a few things that I wouldn't have noticed, so I know he cares about the quality of the work.  I don't want to give the impression that he was overlooking a lot of things, I'm just really picky about how things are done so I was vocal about anything that I thought wasn't perfect.

Back