Landscapers for Maintenance

lucky760

Greetings all!

As you may or may not recall, I posted extensively about the landscaping process of our new build last year (in Saratoga, so we have the enclosed private courtyard outside our front door).

Since then all the stuff we planted has gone crazy with growth and not in a good way. For example, our star jasmine is growing wild, all the plants that were supposed to be tall and pretty have grown into enormous bushes the stick out several feet over the walkway, etc.

Basically, we're thinking of ripping everything out and greatly simplifying things. In our courtyard, we think we'll just put a bunch of small flowers, but those will probably have to be swapped out every so often, so maybe some small plants, but we get no sun back there, so not sure what will look good, live well, and require little maintenance.

In the back, we're thinking we'll remove everything and just do like 99% of our neighbors have done and plant the same breed of trees everyone else has along the back 9' wall (behind our seating wall, even though it's only 2' wide and we're supposed to have 3' for trees).

Anyhow I'm wondering what everyone thinks about these kinds of ideas. Do they seem like something that we could still be proud of? When we first planted all our baby plants and there was just concrete everywhere, everything looked nicer because it was just so clean and empty and we're trying to get back to that without resorting to just concrete.

The other, bigger question is do you have a landscaper you'd recommend to 1) rip out and dispose of all our existing plant life and 2) purchase and plant new trees, etc. to replace the old ones?

I don't want to use the landscaper who originally did our work because he turned out to be less kind than he initially let on and he charges way too much for far too little.

Thanks for reading!

I remember you. What's up! I enjoy watching your youtube video.

Do you have updated pictures of your backyard with the plants gone wild?

eyephone said:
I remember you. What's up! I enjoy watching your youtube video.

Do you have updated pictures of your backyard with the plants gone wild?

Hi eyephone! I remember you as well.  ;D

I'm sure my wife wouldn't like me showing off how horrible our place looks now, but perhaps I can take some photos tonight and share them... though I myself don't like the idea of removing the thought of the old photos/video and replacing it with what we have now which is flat out embarrassing.

:-\

Curious, have you done regular (or any) maintenance on the plants/yard with either regular gardening service or DIY? 

Irvine-ite said:
Curious, have you done regular (or any) maintenance on the plants/yard with either regular gardening service or DIY?

Aside from ripping out some of the overgrown weed-like bushes my wife hated, no, none at all, which is the main reason for the overgrowth.

Their being overgrown is the current issue, but even if trimmed, the bigger, more general issue is they're ugly (especially to my wife  ;)  ).

Can't you just trim your bushes & plants down to the desirable level instead of ripping it out and installing new greenery?
Just take a weed whacker to it.  If your plants die, then replace it.

zubs said:
Can't you just trim your bushes & plants down to the desirable level instead of ripping it out and installing new greenery?

It's not that simple.

eyephone said:
zubs said:

It's not that simple.

I'm very curious to see what it looks like. Hard to suggest what to do. Can't be all that horrible?

It's all about plant selection.

The landscaper needs to be/should be upfront regarding the growth of the plants.

I remember during the selection process of me selecting a backyard landscaper. This person (I am not saying that person's name) recommended for me to get a bird of paradise plant. In my head, I was like no way - I seen those type of plants growth go out of control, same thing with Jasmine vines. At the end, I did not go with that person.

I am also interested to see the pics.  ;)

As @eyephone said, it's not that easy, @zubs.

The choice of plants was based on one essential requirement: we have a seating wall and we were concerned with getting plants that were tall enough to be seen above the edge of the wall.

Our landscaper spent time with us selecting plants that would fit, but never mentioned how enormous and out of control (and ugly) some plants grow.

For example, what I removed were 2 Lantana "bushes" which were more like gigantic weeds spreading out and overtaking everything around them. Indeed, when I ripped those suckers out the roots were never ending and engulfing everything around them.

Just trimming some of these enormous weed-like bushes won't look nice because we'd just be trimming back to a whole mess of tangled stems and branches with all the leaves chopped off.

And our star jasmine has to suffer because we aren't allowed to put anything into our walls so their trellises are all falling down and they look like gigantic messes of green spaghetti as well.

typically there is a disconnect between HOA rules that require (at least ours did) no more than 12 inches from the center of one plant to the next, which is not enough space. A lot of the plants suggest 18-24 or 24-36 inches between the center of the plants for them to grow properly. So if you follow the HOA guidelines you end up getting a mini jungle in some cases depending on the type of plant(s).

qwerty said:
typically there is a disconnect between HOA rules that require (at least ours did) no more than 12 inches from the center of one plant to the next, which is not enough space. A lot of the plants suggest 18-24 or 24-36 inches between the center of the plants for them to grow properly. So if you follow the HOA guidelines you end up getting a mini jungle in some cases depending on the type of plant(s).
How do you even know what the HOA guidelines are?

I thought you just ignore anything HOA related. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

the only reason i know is because when i got my plans back there were some notes and i called and clarified and that is what they told me. i told them it didnt make sense. but it does explain why some neighbors homes seems like they have too many plants.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

but it does explain why some neighbors homes seems like they have too many plants.
I think it's due to the following:
1. landscaper trying to sell more
2. the property owner doesn't know the true growth of the plants
3. property owner trusts the landscaper to pick the plants and it either turns out to be good or bad

Lantana?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://austinnativelandscaping.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Lantana_Urticoides_Texas_Lantana_xeriscape_flowerbeds_design_install_austin.jpg&imgrefurl=http://austinnativelandscaping.com/lantana-urticoides-texas-lantana/&h=194&w=259&tbnid=X1n9pq2trKqi-M:&zoom=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=200&usg=__e9mFmSFmVushMNkNY5iEV8QsgYI=&docid=5YyTPHCt1aXSuM&itg=1&ved=0CKsBEMo3&ei=Jn1IVNGYEIWeyASEmIDwDg

Way too big for your space!

Not sure if you have enough room, but maybe indian hawthorne. They can also get big if you let them, but they can be trimmed to look more like a bush or hedge and they don't get ugly when they are big. Pretty hardy too.

Day Lilies and  Agapanthus  are hardy. I've never been able to kill one. Hubby thins them out every few years (basically takes a shovel to halve them and they still live). They do get snails.

Heavenly Bamboo can get big but they are easily cut back and also hardy. We have some we transplanted from a rental house we used to have in a small plantar (which sometimes are hard to grow things in since the dirt area is so small).

Too bad you can't put a hole in the wall for your trellises.

Finally got my landscaping renovated almost from scratch. Took a lot of consultations before we finally decided on someone who A) seemed reliable that we liked and B) would bother calling us back. On the plus side and as a big bonus, he is fully licensed and didn't charge us a ridiculous price for what we got, though we did end up paying a lot more than we'd initially planned on.

We met with a few people including someone popular on TI, who is friendly and knowledgeable enough, but super busy (he took a few long phone calls during our consultation) and ridiculously expensive (for just removing all our plants and putting in new ones he quoted us above $5000 in part because he insisted he had to change our irrigation [to the tune of $1000], which we really didn't).

In any case, we frustratedly kept trying to find people including via Talk Irvine. Finally we found someone referencing Savanna Scapes (savannascapes.com). The owner, Sean, came over the day I called him and he's super friendly and easy to talk to.

The one negative thing is that he didn't really have any suggestions or ideas about what we could or should do, including what plants we could put where. It was fortunate we'd had a few other consultations before he came over because everyone else helped us paint a picture of what to do. So you understand, when it came to the plants, Sean just instructed specifically that we needed to tell him what plants and how many of each we wanted, even after asking what he thought would look good or work well, etc. Again, we already knew what we were after, so it wasn't too big a deal.

What we are excited about is that we turned our seating wall into a raised planter. This was suggested on a previous consultation by someone we really tried to go with (found them via TI as well), but refused to call us back despite repeated unanswered voicemails and calls to the female owner. (We called at least a dozen times over the course of a week before we gave Savanna Scapes a call.)

So we closed off the ends of our seating wall to turn it into a raised planter and we put wires along all three walls in the back with climbing iceberg roses going up the back and our existing, very healthy star jasmines along the sides.

In all the other areas we put in succulents (almost exclusively Echeveria types) surrounded by shiny, smooth pebbles. In the front courtyard are three 3' tall pots. The raised planter is only covered with red bark chips because to fill it with pebbles would have cost twice as much.

We also purchased our own beautiful path lighting from Lowe's ($30 each) to install into the existing low-voltage wiring for a small additional cost. (Easy enough to do myself, but saved my time for them to do it.)

I was about to post photos, but I guess I haven't taken any on my phone since it was all completed. I'll take some soon and add them to this post.

All in all, I highly recommend Sean at Savanna Scapes. He's a super friendly guy. He's sometimes slow in getting back to you, but he does tend to get back to you eventually almost 100% of the time. Plus, like I said, he was super affordable for all the work we had done, and it took about 5-6 days.

As a side note, I really like the way he broke the prices down for us. He gave us a contract and gave us a quote for the labor and put that into 5 payments. For the plants, he did not just ballpark some really big number based on his own guesstimate (like other people did); he waited until we gave him the full list of plants and quantities then got the actual pricing from his plant broker and gave us the actual price per item. And the price per plant was totally reasonable. In fact, all the succulents were less than a dollar more each than we'd found at a nursery, and with Sean we get a 1 year warranty.

(If you're wondering, it took us days to decide how many plants we needed because I took our old yard drawing and drew onto it every plant we decided and where each should go. It's unfortunate that this was also a job I had to do myself, but in the end I'm glad I did because everything is just as we want it.)

(One more side note: No, neither our raised planter nor our wired walls are allowable by the HOA. We'll take our chances that our neighbors won't blow the whistle on us. And the wire anchors were only drilled into the mortar between cinder blocks, not into the blocks themselves, so if we are ever busted, it'll be easy to undo.)

lucky said:
(One more side note: No, neither our raised planter nor our wired walls are allowable by the HOA. We'll take our chances that our neighbors won't blow the whistle on us. And the wire anchors were only drilled into the mortar between cinder blocks, not into the blocks themselves, so if we are ever busted, it'll be easy to undo.)

thats what im talking about!

savannascapes did several homes in columbus square, they look good. one of the owners told me he was a former construction guy who started his own hardscape/landscape business when construction slowed down.

Here are a couple pictures I found on my phone from one of the corners when the back was almost completely done.

Attachments

• 20150109_161643.jpg
    20150109_161643.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 359
  • 20150109_161655.jpg
    20150109_161655.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 293
Hey Lucky are you trying to fill in your whole wall with vines or are you trying to achieve the diamond look:
vines-x.jpg

Just curious.  I've thought about going for the diamond look but never seen or heard anyone I know actually do it (just in a few pics).

Back