Korea House BBQ

irvinehomeowner

We are fans of Korean BBQ and were in the mood last night but didn't want to go to Tustin for All You Can Eat or deal with the crowds at Shik Do Rak. Plus SDR isn't really KBBQ as most people know it... the thread about it is here:

http://www.talkirvine.com/index.cgi?board=foodanddining&action=display&thread=356

The Yelp link for Korea House:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/korea-house-irvine#

We've been to Korea House before but either they didn't have the BBQ or we didn't order it, but we did this time. They now have a $19.99 all you can eat but it's only for the Angus, pork bellies, bulgogi and chicken... it doesn't include the Kalbi (short rib) which is what the missus wanted. And they have some restriction that all parties have to order AYCE or we would have to order separate. So, I ordered the Bulgogi (17.99) and she ordered the Kalbi (23.99). Unlike Shik, they didn't charge us for the kids which we would have had to also pay at Seoul Garden (one kids only eats rice and some meat, the other eats nothing).

The food came fast and quick, like Shik, they put a bunch of sides in front of you, kimchee, lettuce/salad, potato and the rice wraps and pickled wraps. They also gave steamed rice and hot soup. The soup was good, it was a beef based broth with onions and pepper.

The grill was circular and domed like Shik's, but it was outward (grease goes to the sides) and had holes in it more like the Seoul Garden grill so you can actually flame broil the food... like real BBQ. The food cooked very fast and we even had to turn it down as it was burning some of the kalbi.

The bulgogi was good... just like anything I've tasted but the kalbi was excellent. Unlike Seoul Garden, where the bone is in the meat, these were off the bone but they gave you bone part as a separate chunks. I don't like dealing with the bone so this was really good to me.

The service isn't really the best as once they give you the initial food, you will not see them much more after that (and Yelp sort of confirms that) but there really isn't much for them to do unless you need more water or more sides.

We definitely like this place more than Shik, no big crowds and an actual fire grill. And it's very close so if we don't want to drive to Tustin, we can swing by here.

We want to try the other one in Woodbridge (Arirang) but some of the Yelp reviews scare me. We'll see.

If you don't mind risking your life then there are many superb Korean BBQ places along Garden Grove Blvd that we go to. The prices are much cheaper too.

Cham Sut Gul (Sorry, if I spelled it wrong) on Garden Grove Blvd is really good. When we go Korean BBQ, we always go there.

Back