Kobe Buffet

Ewww!!! LEGS! Oh, no. :( I wonder if they would peel the shrimp for me if I ask.

l.jpg

Ideally (from a business cost sense), it should be by weight .. but they'll probably get sued for discrimination .. Still don't understand why its okay to "discriminate" by height but not weight.

GH said:
Ideally (from a business cost sense), it should be by weight .. but they'll probably get sued for discrimination .. Still don't understand why its okay to "discriminate" by height but not weight.

They can possibly get sued either way.

Asian small business owners are notorious for being so greedy that they are unable to see the big picture.

American restaurant owners understand that kids meals are a loss leader used to get customers to come in more often thereby maximize profit.  Asians can't bear the thought of not making money on kids but they lose sight of the big picture of encouraging customers to come more often.  Asian all you can eat places charge you for "wasting food," no American restaurant would do this for fear of alienating customers.  Again, Asians can't see the big picture.

Here's a true story.  Koreans own a lot of markets in the hood and they watch the customers like hawks and will shoot you if they think you are walking out with an unpaid bottle of orange juice.  I have a friend who owned several markets in Compton and Inglewood.  My friend knows his clientele likes to steal.  He made a business decision to let them steal a little bit.  My friend said, by allowing a customer to steal a 99 cent pack of gum, the customer will be very happy and he will come into the market at least once a week and buy $50 to $75 of merchandise per visit.  His customers know my friend knows they are stealing. Letting them steal a little bit for more business is a no brainer.  My friend is extremely wealthy now, because he is able to see the big picture that the Korean hood market owners could not see.

Happiness said:
Asian all you can eat places charge you for "wasting food,"

What do you mean -- do they check your plate when you're done?? Like a mom who checks inside the napkin wad to make sure the kid really did eat all their veggies and isn't just hiding them? lol.

Happiness said:
Asian small business owners are notorious for being so greedy that they are unable to see the big picture.

American restaurant owners understand that kids meals are a loss leader used to get customers to come in more often thereby maximize profit.  Asians can't bear the thought of not making money on kids but they lose sight of the big picture of encouraging customers to come more often.  Asian all you can eat places charge you for "wasting food," no American restaurant would do this for fear of alienating customers.  Again, Asians can't see the big picture.

Here's a true story.  Koreans own a lot of markets in the hood and they watch the customers like hawks and will shoot you if they think you are walking out with an unpaid bottle of orange juice.  I have a friend who owned several markets in Compton and Inglewood.  My friend knows his clientele likes to steal.  He made a business decision to let them steal a little bit.  My friend said, by allowing a customer to steal a 99 cent pack of gum, the customer will be very happy and he will come into the market at least once a week and buy $50 to $75 of merchandise per visit.  His customers know my friend knows they are stealing. Letting them steal a little bit for more business is a no brainer.  My friend is extremely wealthy now, because he is able to see the big picture that the Korean hood market owners could not see.

So you're greedy if you don't let people steal? 

SoCal said:
Happiness said:

What do you mean -- do they check your plate when you're done?? Like a mom who checks inside the napkin wad to make sure the kid really did eat all their veggies and isn't just hiding them? lol.

they say this at the korean bbq places.. just to prevent people from ordering and leaving wasted food.  I agree with the policy though.  However, I haven't really heard of anyone actually being charged. 

Happiness said:

That's hilarious. So instead of rewards program there is a five finger discount.

jmoney74 said:
SoCal said:
Happiness said:

they say this at the korean bbq places.. just to prevent people from ordering and leaving wasted food.  I agree with the policy though.  However, I haven't really heard of anyone actually being charged.

Don't get me started on the time limit (2 hour) at an all you can eat Korean BBQ located in Garden Grove.

eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:
SoCal said:
Happiness said:

Don't get me started on the time limit (2 hour) at an all you can eat Korean BBQ located in Garden Grove.

please do get started.. I'd like to hear about that. 

Happiness said:

American restaurant owners understand that kids meals are a loss leader used to get customers to come in more often thereby maximize profit.  Asians can't bear the thought of not making money on kids but they lose sight of the big picture of encouraging customers to come more often.
This is key to me.

Every restaurant that's family friendly should make it easier for kids.

I dislike it when they charge for a kids drink separately, how much can you lose on a kid drink when I know your soda/lemonade only cost like 5 cents per glass?

I can understand the hesitance for buffets, but still, if you are charging $20-25 per adult, kid prices should be up to age 12 (no matter the height or weight) and for kids 3 and under, it should be free.

When we went to Vegas, most of the high-end buffets only had kid prices (which were still more than half the cost) up to age 5... what? And because it's so fru-fru, my kids hardly ate anything so we paid all adult prices for really only 2 adults eating... gah.

I generally don't give my money to businesses that don't respect their customers.  Like that Indian couple who owns the Popeye's I went to a while back.  They issued napkins and wouldn't give more than one per customer.  Congratulations, you saved a napkin but lost a customer forever.

Happiness said:
I generally don't give my money to businesses that don't respect their customers.  Like that Indian couple who owns the Popeye's I went to a while back.  They issued napkins and wouldn't give more than one per customer.  Congratulations, you saved a napkin but lost a customer forever.

Somebody please bring popeyes to Irvine

We went for lunch today.  The place was 1/2 full (1/3 if you count the back section, which was not opened).  Staff were friendly, service was prompt, and food selection was good.  They had a pretty cool udon/mongolian/fresh steak station at the center. 

Unfortunately all the food was just average, nothing made me go back for a second serving.  The sushi were all raw except for california rolls so I didn't try any of them. 

Will try again in a couple of months.  Hopefully they can tweak the flavors because the restaurant has potential. 

SoCal said:
Aww. No Crunchy Shrimp Rolls?! That is the only one I eat.

There was fried (crunchy) sushi but since they put raw fish on the top I didn't try.  They look pretty good and fresh though.  One tray even has the sushi with the fish still in original shape minus the head and tail. 

More yelps coming in, doesn't look too good.  I'm gonna wait a month before I make a trek to this place.

Imo, anyone who wants to try the restaurant should do it soon because I don't think it will last. My prediction is that it will fail in less than two years.

This suite, in particular, has had a high turnover rate. I have also heard that the rent is $15k/mo.

And then there's the food. I was really, really excited for months about this place opening, as were a lot of people. However, what I was expecting is not at all what I am seeing in the photos. Once I got a better feel for it online, it is not a place I can imagine taking my kids at all or being in our regular after-church lunch rotation. I will probably visit just once with a friend or my husband and call it quits. And after seeing the pics, I am in no hurry. My prediction is that this place is not something which will appeal to enough people in the area to do well. We shall see.

SoCal said:
Imo, anyone who wants to try the restaurant should do it soon because I don't think it will last. My prediction is that it will fail in less than two years.

This suite, in particular, has had a high turnover rate. I have also heard that the rent is $15k/mo.

And then there's the food. I was really, really excited for months about this place opening, as were a lot of people. However, what I was expecting is not at all what I am seeing in the photos. Once I got a better feel for it online, it is not a place I can imagine taking my kids at all or being in our regular after-church lunch rotation. I will probably visit just once with a friend or my husband and call it quits. And after seeing the pics, I am in no hurry. My prediction is that this place is not something which will appeal to enough people in the area to do well. We shall see.

I was never excited.

On the other hand, you were promoting this restaurant. At some point, I thought you were working for them. (Marketing Director)

Back