Kitchen Renovations

SCARLETTE_IHB

Hi all,

Our kitchen is in need of some major renovation. We do not have a lot of money to spend and we probably could hold out for awhile without having to do any upgrades until we can save a little more. But I figured now is a good time to do some research and maybe the prices are a little more reasonable given the economy. I've seen lots of newspaper ads about granite tops, solid wood cabinets all installed, etc. for around $5000. Is that even possible or is it just a gimmick to get you in the showroom/store so they can hike up the price???? If anyone has recommendations for local companies, I'd appreciate that too.

That is because granite countertops are out. Seriously consider something else if you don't want to look like the 2000's in the 2010's :ahhh: I do think there are some deals out there and there are a lot of people here who will have suggestions for you. I'd just say be careful that you aren't getting what will look like tangerine orange and avocado green in a few years.

Hi Tmare,

Thanks for the response. Could you recommend something else other than granite I should look into? Seriously, I need all the help, suggestions, etc. I can get....

[quote author="SCARLETTE" date=1242360148]Hi Tmare,

Thanks for the response. Could you recommend something else other than granite I should look into? Seriously, I need all the help, suggestions, etc. I can get....</blockquote>

We've discussed it a lot here, check out this <a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/4784/">thread</a> If you ever want to find something among the vast amount of info and posts here, just check the search button in the top right corner. If it relates to real estate, chances are you'll find something useful here.

[quote author="tmare" date=1242359456]That is because granite countertops are out.</blockquote>
This seems harder than calling when the bottom is going to hit.

What is the new countertop of choice?

All the new construction I see still uses granite... but they do tend to be behind the trend.

Does that mean stainless steel and wood/stone floors are out too?

Where is the Fad Herald?

Trust me granite countertop is now in gas station restrooms, apartments and every Chinese restaurants. It is like the leg warmers and mullet from the 80's. Stay away from materials displayed outside Home Depots such as granite, stainless steel, black enamel BBQ, travertine tiles, and 99 cents faux stone ceramic tiles.

Avoid laminates that look like wood. Wood flooring with nail and peg holes are classic. To the trained eyes that could only be done with a wood subfloor and all new homes have concrete slab and you can't nail concrete to get the nail and peg hole aesthetic.

Top appliance companies such as Viking, Wolf and Sub Zero have already decided on their new materials. Their stainless steel look inspired many other companies and took almost 15 years for mass production. The same also applies to BBQ grilles.

To stay ahead as the leader top companies spent $$$$$ on R&D.

Check out the Costco prices. My sister was in the building industry and had contacts and they couldn't beat the Costco price a few years ago.

I totally agree with TMARE on the granite soon to be looking dated. We did have this discussion, as she pointed to. Howver, I too have been wondering about those $5K deals advertised for a 10 x 10. I'm sure you can substitute other countertop material, but am curious what you can do with $5K in terms of cabinets installed and something decent on the counters.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1242373789]I totally agree with TMARE on the granite soon to be looking dated. We did have this discussion, as she pointed to. Howver, I too have been wondering about those $5K deals advertised for a 10 x 10. I'm sure you can substitute other countertop material, but am curious what you can do with $5K in terms of cabinets installed and something decent on the counters.</blockquote>

Here is the catch your kitchen must be 10x10 exactly. 10'-1" would be custom and that will cost you $40k.

I think concrete is probably the new granite. I have a friend in a mom's group and all the ladies apparently want concrete now. They were jealous she got them done. Silestone is still in I think. Anything eco-friendly or Green will probably be hot for the next 10 years so glass might do well.

For $5K you can't do much in a kitchen unless it was way tiny. Even stock cabinets off the shelf from HD or Lowes would cost in the thousands for a small kitchen and that's without installation.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1242376249]I think concrete is probably the new granite. I have a friend in a mom's group and all the ladies apparently want concrete now. They were jealous she got them done. Silestone is still in I think. Anything eco-friendly or Green will probably be hot for the next 10 years so glass might do well.

For $5K you can't do much in a kitchen unless it was way tiny. Even stock cabinets off the shelf from HD or Lowes would cost in the thousands for a small kitchen and that's without installation.</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.urbanslabs.com/">Urban Slabs</a> is local here in Santa Ana for concrete. <a href="http://www.bottlestone.com/">BottleStone</a> is another glass source, but their color palettes are limited. I like the Vetrazzo the best, but they are also more expensive. I think they retail around $70 a sqft, whereas bottlestone is $50ish. I need to look into wholesale prices on it, and see if it has the same 70% mark up granite does.

[quote author="SCARLETTE" date=1242354970]Hi all,

Our kitchen is in need of some major renovation. We do not have a lot of money to spend and we probably could hold out for awhile without having to do any upgrades until we can save a little more. But I figured now is a good time to do some research and maybe the prices are a little more reasonable given the economy. I've seen lots of newspaper ads about granite tops, solid wood cabinets all installed, etc. for around $5000. Is that even possible or is it just a gimmick to get you in the showroom/store so they can hike up the price???? If anyone has recommendations for local companies, I'd appreciate that too.</blockquote>
I have a great granite guy that did my condo kitchen w/full blacksplash to cabinets and 3 bathrooms for about $6,000 (140/sf of granite if I remember correctly). Great quality and a great price.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1242374718][quote author="stepping_up" date=1242373789]I totally agree with TMARE on the granite soon to be looking dated. We did have this discussion, as she pointed to. Howver, I too have been wondering about those $5K deals advertised for a 10 x 10. I'm sure you can substitute other countertop material, but am curious what you can do with $5K in terms of cabinets installed and something decent on the counters.</blockquote>

Here is the catch your kitchen must be 10x10 exactly. 10'-1" would be custom and that will cost you $40k.</blockquote>

even a small kitchen that needs custom would come out that high? ~ 12x5?

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1242384700][quote author="bkshopr" date=1242374718][quote author="stepping_up" date=1242373789]I totally agree with TMARE on the granite soon to be looking dated. We did have this discussion, as she pointed to. Howver, I too have been wondering about those $5K deals advertised for a 10 x 10. I'm sure you can substitute other countertop material, but am curious what you can do with $5K in terms of cabinets installed and something decent on the counters.</blockquote>

Here is the catch your kitchen must be 10x10 exactly. 10'-1" would be custom and that will cost you $40k.</blockquote>

even a small kitchen that needs custom would come out that high? ~ 12x5?</blockquote>

Galley or single loaded kitchen is relatively inexpensive. There is no corner and much less labor involvement. Galley kitchen were very popular from 1948-1965 with a dinette area integrated into the edge of the kitchen.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1242382766][quote author="SCARLETTE" date=1242354970]Hi all,

Our kitchen is in need of some major renovation. We do not have a lot of money to spend and we probably could hold out for awhile without having to do any upgrades until we can save a little more. But I figured now is a good time to do some research and maybe the prices are a little more reasonable given the economy. I've seen lots of newspaper ads about granite tops, solid wood cabinets all installed, etc. for around $5000. Is that even possible or is it just a gimmick to get you in the showroom/store so they can hike up the price???? If anyone has recommendations for local companies, I'd appreciate that too.</blockquote>
I have a great granite guy that did my condo kitchen w/full blacksplash to cabinets and 3 bathrooms for about $6,000 (140/sf of granite if I remember correctly). Great quality and a great price.</blockquote>

That sounds great! Do you think you could PM me his contact info? It may be awhile before we actually can afford it but it would still be nice to know how to get a hold of him for a quote when we are ready.

We just went through a kitchen remodel last year. Cabinets will run the most. We did an exhaustive amount of research and ended up with IKEA cabinets. The hardware is BLUM and all drawers are full extension and self closing. (Most other companies charge up to $60 per drawer for full extension.) They also offer a pretty good selection of interior fittings so you can trick them out. Drawbacks are limited door styles and limited cabinet "box" sizes. We used their installer who was terrific. If you want to see photos- PM me.

Doing a kitchen reno tops my list as one of the worst experiences of my life. It was a painful lesson of what to do and what not to do (and I did my homework before starting.) There are many things to know about every facet of the remodel - from what material you use to who you hire to how the work is done. <a href="http://www.dca.ca.gov/">California Department of Consumer Affairs</a> is a site that you should get to know. Check out anybody you are thinking of using on the BBB. Do a ton of homework on everything from the contract you sign to the work they will be doing.

P.S. Read the fine print on that ad. Often it will say which size cabinets and how many of each that price includes - it may or may not be what you need for your kitchen. Also ask specific questions like where the granite is from (for example, research the issues associated with granite imported from China)... find out if the work is being done by licensed people... ask if they repair damage made to drywall, baseboards, etc that is caused by the installation.... the list goes on & on.

Also, be advised that contrary to popular belief - refacing is often times more expensive than getting new cabinets, takes longer and is just as big of a pain. All my quotes came in with refacing higher so I did new cabinets. Also, document everything. Take notes. CYA. The people I hired had a great review when I hired them and lost their license after.

Here's an article on alternatives to granite

<a href="http://realestate.msn.com/listarticle.aspx?cp-documentid=17243854">Common countertop materials</a>

Back