Kitchen Backsplash

kayochan

We are looking at white cabinets, black counters, and either white (tile or glass) or taupe subway tiles for a backsplash in our kitchen.

I prefer white but my significant other prefers the darker taupe (dark grey).  I am looking at resale potential as well.

Help us be a tie breaker!  What would you choose?

Have you had black counters before?  Shows all dirt/dust/crumbs/etc.  I'd steer clear. 

Do white cabinets with light grey counters and white backsplash.  You can thank me later.

aquabliss said:
Have you had black counters before?  Shows all dirt/dust/crumbs/etc.  I'd steer clear. 

Do white cabinets with light grey counters and white backsplash.  You can thank me later.

+1 on grey counters.  Quartz.

Consider a marble tile backsplash...the whites and greys will tie in together nicely.

gasman said:
aquabliss said:

Consider a marble tile backsplash...the whites and greys will tie in together nicely.

+1  Here's a picture of my kitchen in my Irvine home...shaker white cabinets, greyish quartz, and slate backsplash (from Floor & Decor).

Wow that looks great.  I also much prefer this white-ish stone/slate backsplash look over running the quartz up the wall.

Black Granite is the freaking worst. It is what we have in our current place.  Shows dirt, but also just hard to keep clean for whatever reason too. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
gasman said:
aquabliss said:

+1  Here's a picture of my kitchen in my Irvine home...shaker white cabinets, greyish quartz, and slate backsplash (from Floor & Decor).

I really like that slate backsplash.  Does Floor and Decor install too?

Yeah, I went to a half dozen tile/flooring places and nothing really spoke to me (in terms of backsplash) until I saw the slate on at Floor & Decor.  I don't think they have contractors but you can ask....I had my contractor do the install.  It's called Olympic White Random Decorative Linear Slate Mosaic.  Here's a better picture of showing the counter, backsplash, and cabinets...I loved how the backsplash color transitioned nicely from the counter to the cabinets to the wall color.

aquabliss said:
Wow that looks great.  I also much prefer this white-ish stone/slate backsplash look over running the quartz up the wall.

Yeah, I love the random texture of that slate backsplash.  I've gotten a lot of compliments on it and I did my kitchen the same exact way in my Tustin Ranch home. 

Here is another greatroom with white cabinets, white ceaserstone with grey swirls, and grayish wood floor.

Attachments

• White Cabinets Ceaserstone Tile Light Wood Floor.jpg
    White Cabinets Ceaserstone Tile Light Wood Floor.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 240
How about for something classic with a twist...white subway (there's the beveled edge or ones with a wavy texture at Home Depot if you want to look in person) with a darker grout?

With white cabinets, contrast underneath looks sharp, in my opinion.  We were initially going to use the more subtle glass subway tile, but it would have been washed out.  Glad we went with the darker one.

Attachments

• IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 197
Zenyatta1 said:
With white cabinets, contrast underneath looks sharp, in my opinion.  We were initially going to use the more subtle glass subway tile, but it would have been washed out.  Glad we went with the darker one.

Zenyatta, your kitchen looks wonderful!! Would you mind me asking how much that backsplash cost installed?  I'm guessing you went through the builder?

Thank you!  I want to say it cost around $2200... because my husband and I were looking to cut the upgrades we went back and forth... we actually were going to just extend the granite up but were then told the extra fee ($500?) for the upgraded granite which annoyed us.  We would have taken it out anyway.  So we just went ahead and paid the $2K. Can't say we regret anything about the kitchen.  Also got a bunch of dark bronze knobs from Amazon super cheap and wow, what a difference instead of the boring brushed nickel.

Back