Kids or Pets

Harajuku

If you have a choice of renting your home to tenant with dogs/cats OR kids, which tenant  do you think will do less damage?  Any specific dogs/cats that I need to be aware of?  Do I need to ask the tenant to get a specific insurance?

Harajuku said:
If you have a choice of renting your home to tenant with dogs/cats OR kids, which tenant  do you think will do less damage?  Any specific dogs/cats that I need to be aware of?  Do I need to ask the tenant to get a specific insurance?
So Harjuku, congrats then.  You bought in Stafford?

Irvine Dream said:
So Harjuku, congrats then.  You bought in Stafford?

No.  As much as I really want to buy in Stafford it really is not a good decision for us (pure want vs need). 

Our tenant is vacating and I'm trying to get other people's experience with pets. 

Harajuku said:

1. It depends on the age of the kids.  The age/breed of the dog.  Etc. Etc
2. Yes, beware of any dogs that haven't been trained properly.  They will pee/shit all over the carpet and scratch up your hardwood.
3. I was never asked to get a specific insurance, but I had to pay a larger security deposit.  I also had to chip in at lease end to re-sod the backyard since my dog's urine killed a lot of it.  Also had to pay for some carpet damage done by my dog. But I'm an easygoing tenant so it all worked out.

This level of discrimination against families with children (which I presume are under 18) is prohibited in the state of California.

Kids > pets, some pets are just plain crazy, especially if they're not neutered or spayed, kids grow up and learn responsibility

AW said:
Kids > pets, some pets are just plain crazy, especially if they're not neutered or spayed, kids grow up and learn responsibility

Look in the parents car. You will be able to see how dirty they can let things get.

jmoney74 said:
AW said:

Look in the parents car. You will be able to see how dirty they can let things get.
I have both, right now kids leave a lot more crap in the car... But as far as renting goes my kids haven't peed or pooped inside the house as much as the pet

Thank you all for your input.  One potential tenant sent the application along with a picture of the pets and I just melted.  The dogs were too adorable so I accepted. 

Side note: I don't know if there is a shortage of rental home in Irvine but our property received tons of interests.  A couple people even submitted full application on the day it was listed before they even see the home. 

Harajuku said:
Side note: I don't know if there is a shortage of rental home in Irvine but our property received tons of interests.  A couple people even submitted full application on the day it was listed before they even see the home.

Not surprising since it's cheaper to rent than buy in Irvine. With HOA, Mella Roos, etc, you'd  probably need to put 30-40% down to achieve rental parity.

SubSolar said:
Harajuku said:

Not surprising since it's cheaper to rent than buy in Irvine. With HOA, Mella Roos, etc, you'd  probably need to put 30-40% down to achieve rental parity.

You are probably right because the tenant can easily buy a $1M plus home with the salary. 

Harajuku said:
You are probably right because the tenant can easily buy a $1M plus home with the salary.

I rented for years when I could easily afford to buy for a few reasons, but mostly because I wasn't sure where I wanted to settle down yet. If you plan to live in your home for 20 years you don't care too much about a possible dip in home prices, but if you plan to live there for only a little while, a dip can leave you stuck.

Back