Kid's bike for reaonable price

almon_IHB

I need to get my 10-year old a bigger bike (20" wheels). Looking around, it seems I have 2 options: (1) Go to Toys-R-Us/Target and take whatever is on sale that day for $100, all their bikes seem interchangable, or (2) Go to Jax and pay $300 for their ugliest bike.

Can someone recommend something in the middle?

Garage sale / Craig's List / Pennysaver. I practically found my son's bike in the trash in nearly perfect condition. Here at IAC apartments, when somebody no longer wants something, they set it out next to the trash and recycle bin for the taking. It is a great bike. I feel like I stole it. I love second-hand things. See if you can find yourself a deal browsing resale items.

Costco has schwinn 20" and/or Mogoose 20" ( check my spelling) for under $200.

Toysrus sell junk bikes in my opinion - lows quality, and they don't put the bike together well either. If you don't use it often, maybe ok.

For 20", he can use it for a while, you might want to check out Performance Bike ( Tustin market place store is in Irvine area but small, Laguna Hills store is the largest, and has most selection), or Rock N. Road (Woodbury). Performance bike is generally cheaper than Rock N Road. I bought my boys Specialized brand (hard rock) 16" from Rock N road, and have been really really happy with it. We ride every sat, and sunday morning.

[quote author="almon" date=1240997170]I need to get my 10-year old a bigger bike (20" wheels). Looking around, it seems I have 2 options: (1) Go to Toys-R-Us/Target and take whatever is on sale that day for $100, all their bikes seem interchangable, or (2) Go to Jax and pay $300 for their ugliest bike.

Can someone recommend something in the middle?</blockquote>
I believe Walmart has some great prices on new bikes. As mentioned earlier, I would check on craigslist or pennysaver for good used bike deals.

GoodWill and other second hand stores. Got my son a 20inch Specialized that was in pretty good shape, but I do have to repack the bearings. I think I paid $40.

I agree with the mega-store or 2nd hand approach. Only go to the bike specialty shops when the person riding the bike is actually using it for a sport of some type. There is nothing the street and sidewalk can throw at most any bike that it cant handle. This also works in the inverse. A Costco or Walmart mountain bike will not serve your needs on a real trail.

I would go second-hand, but then take it to a bike mechanic for a check-up. Go for a simple design, like a BMX-type or one speed regular bike.

If you are paying much for it, you might take to for a pre-purchase check-up, just like buying a used car. If not, carefully inspect for any damage to the frame or other structural components (these cannot generally be fixed).

Finally, I strongly urge you to avoid buying at a big-box store. Do you really want your kid riding around on a bike that was assembled by someone making minimum wage, and which was purchased from china for 20% of the $100 you are going to pay for it (bad, bad materials)? I've heard too many stories of big box bikes self destructing while being ridden.

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1241051405]I would go second-hand, but then take it to a bike mechanic for a check-up. Go for a simple design, like a BMX-type or one speed regular bike.

If you are paying much for it, you might take to for a pre-purchase check-up, just like buying a used car. If not, carefully inspect for any damage to the frame or other structural components (these cannot generally be fixed).

Finally, I strongly urge you to avoid buying at a big-box store. Do you really want your kid riding around on a bike that was assembled by someone making minimum wage, and which was purchased from china for 20% of the $100 you are going to pay for it (bad, bad materials)? I've heard too many stories of big box bikes self destructing while being ridden.</blockquote>

I agree...

I would suggest going to Performance Bike in Laguna Hills, let Him test-ride a couple and make sure it fits, which is very important, he will tend to ride more if he's comfortable...the Staff there are pretty knowledgable...

The part most People tend to miss when they think they are going to pay more initialy for a decent known brand is that if you take good care of the Bike, keep it clean and damage free they can generaly put it on Craigslist when their Kid has outgrown it or just doesn't want to ride anymore and probably get 50% of what they paid for it, so in the long-run a $300 Bike will only cost them $150.

Plus, Performance seem to build their Bikes pretty well and they offer free lifetime servicing on things such as drive-train adjustments etc, this can save $40 a pop trips to your LBS (Local Bike store).

I just buy 'em at Target... they have Schwinn Cruisers now (ahhh... the memories).

At $100 a pop... they sort of become disposable after a couple of years... like cell phones.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1241058518]I just buy 'em at Target... they have Schwinn Cruisers now (ahhh... the memories).

At $100 a pop... they sort of become disposable after a couple of years... like cell phones.</blockquote>

Yeah!! That'll work!!

By the way everyone...be on the alert when buying a bike off CL...a friend told me several Bikes have been stolen from UCI over the past couple of weeks...mainly fixies but others too....

Everything y'all said was spot on! Went to Tar-jay and got a Schwinn mountain bike for $150, got home and realized only gears 3-7 were avail (obviously a defect), returned it and they didn't have another, went to another Target and son wanted the shinier yellow one for $100 instead. Long live Tar-jay and all the third world countries who made this possible!

I got one for DD (8 yrs) from Target too. She was more focused on the colors and characters on the bike than the brakes and the make.

But for the younger one, I just ordered through Amazon- it's a mongoose butterfly, and probably the cheapest price for that bike. Amazon, when it has free shipping has good deals.

Back