Kids baseball game=Priceless, Snacks for game=$120 !!

almon_IHB

the post-game snacks for our son's baseball team are growing out of control. for the 3rd time this season, the parents who have snack duty picked pizza. voila, 10 pies came out of the pizza dude's hatchback (what is the strange romantic attraction between pizza men and hatchbacks?). i figure this was a $120 snack day for the parents.

1- is this normal for irvine? the kids are 8- and 9- year olds.

2- what's the most outrageous snacks menu you have seen?

Not for girls sports. My daughter has been playing soccer and softball for 4 years. I have yet to see someone buy pizza as snack, although one dad told me that they did get pizza a couple of times last year when the girls played at night but all the parents chipped in for it. I don't know why they even bother with snacks for an evening game. We don't eat them because we go straight to eat dinner.

don't get me started on this topic!!! Although I don't have kids in sports yet my experience I have already been astonished at the types of 'snacks' parents will bring to preschool for kids - why do we have to celebrate every single kids birthday with cupcakes - wouldn't a special b-day hat be enough?? It makes me crazy the amount of sugar. I am certainly no saint about sugar but please let me use the sugar to bribe my kids to get through rough times - like when they have to sit through my dr. appt - don't give it to them as a snack at preschool - then they can't have any more that day and I don't have a bribe! :)

All I can say is wow...guess it's been a while since I've been a kid and paid attention to those kind of things. We were happy if the parents brought fruit roll ups/fruit snacks and juice boxes/capri suns from costco.

Guess times have changed.

Just get some cheapo ice cream from Mickey D's or the like. Not too bad for the kids and it won't hurt the wallet one bit.

If they won the game, maybe get them dipped cones instead!

IrvineCommuter - i think you're missing the point. i was shocked (over and over again) that irvine parents would spend over $100 bucks on snacks duty.

Hi,

I couldn't help but respond. Take a look at our all natural baseball cookies from Cooperstown, home of baseball. www.cooperstowncookie.com

The triple play pillow packs are only $1.59 a bag and make a great snack!

[quote author="almon" date=1207370956]IrvineCommuter - i think you're missing the point. i was shocked (over and over again) that irvine parents would spend over $100 bucks on snacks duty.</blockquote>
Yeah... keeping up with the Joneses in Irvine can be tough.

I think you need to respond with steak and lobster dinner for each kid... take that PizzaDad!

[quote author="caliguy2699" date=1207338355]All I can say is wow...guess it's been a while since I've been a kid and paid attention to those kind of things. We were happy if the parents brought fruit roll ups/fruit snacks and juice boxes/capri suns from costco.

Guess times have changed.</blockquote>

This is more like the snacks for our T-Ball games, but don't get me started on the season that was supposed to end Saturday, but really doesn't end due to 5 more events/games until June 15th!

[quote author="tmare" date=1242366115][quote author="caliguy2699" date=1207338355]All I can say is wow...guess it's been a while since I've been a kid and paid attention to those kind of things. We were happy if the parents brought fruit roll ups/fruit snacks and juice boxes/capri suns from costco.

Guess times have changed.</blockquote>

This is more like the snacks for our T-Ball games, but don't get me started on the season that was supposed to end Saturday, but really doesn't end due to 5 more events/games until June 15th!</blockquote>

All-Stars? Memorial Day Tourney? I'm looking forward to coaching my first All-Star team. It's gonna be a blast!

Our post game snacks are usually something like fruit rolls, juice boxes, chips, etc. The car load of pizzas is reserved for the team party.

[quote author="almon" date=1207291097]the post-game snacks for our son's baseball team are growing out of control. for the 3rd time this season, the parents who have snack duty picked pizza. voila, 10 pies came out of the pizza dude's hatchback (what is the strange romantic attraction between pizza men and hatchbacks?). i figure this was a $120 snack day for the parents.

1- is this normal for irvine? the kids are 8- and 9- year olds.

2- what's the most outrageous snacks menu you have seen?</blockquote>
Next time there is a pizza gathering, let me know when and where so I can sneak in for a few free slices. haha

Back