Jobless father kills own family then commits suicide

Shooby_IHB

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A man distraught because he could not find work shot and killed his mother-in-law, his wife and three sons and then killed himself inside a home in an upscale San Fernando Valley neighborhood, police said.

Police outside a home where an unemployed father is believed to have killed his sons, wife and mother-in-law.

Authorities said the man had an MBA in finance but appeared to have been unemployed for several months and had worked for major accounting firms, such as Price Waterhouse, police said.

The two-story rented home is in gated community in Porter Ranch, about 20 miles northwest of Los Angeles.

The names of the victims have not been released, said Deputy Chief of Police Michel Moore.

The shootings were discovered at 7:15 a.m. Monday, when a neighbor called police to report that the wife had not picked her up as she usually did to take her to her job at a pharmacy, Moore said.

The mother-in-law was 70; her daughter was 39; and the sons were 19, 12 and 7, Moore said. All were found inside bedrooms. A handgun, which was bought September 16, was recovered, he said.

The killings are thought to have occurred after 6 p.m. Saturday, when the man was last seen, Moore said.

Inside the house, three letters that appear to have been written by the suspect were found. One was to law enforcement acknowledging responsibility for the killings, a second to friends and relatives and a third that appears to be the suspect's will, Moore said.

"He attests to some financial difficulties, and he takes responsibility for the taking of the lives of his family members and himself as a result of those financial difficulties," Moore said.

No neighbors reported having heard gunshots, and there was no sign of forced entry at the house, Moore said.

There is no evidence the suspected gunman had had any history of mental difficulties, Moore said.

Neighbor Trish Harrison, who lives three houses from the crime scene, said the family had lived in the community for about a year. They kept to themselves and had little interaction with neighbors. The parents were from India, she said.

The Los Angeles Unified School District was making arrangements for crisis counselors to visit the schools attended by the two younger sons.

E-mail to a friend

Second shooting in a week in regards to the economy situation.

[quote author="lendingmaestro" date=1223362671]What an asshole. I wish I would have got to him first, then at least there would only have been one death.</blockquote>
Hey man, good to see you posting again.

Back on subject...it's people like that who deserve to rot in hell for eternity. Focker just should have capped himself.

Don't be so hasty to judge. We never know the whole story of what is going on in someone else's life and how it is affecting them, or to say how we'd react, given the same circumstances. It's a good rule to be nicer to someone than you have to be, or even than they deserve, for just this reason.

I very nearly lost a brother to this type of despondency. I'd like to think I wouldn't have reacted the way he did to so many bad things coming into his life at once, but who's really to say?

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1223371101]Don't be so hasty to judge. We never know the whole story of what is going on in someone else's life and how it is affecting them, or to say how we'd react, given the same circumstances. It's a good rule to be nicer to someone than you have to be, or even than they deserve, for just this reason.

I very nearly lost a brother to this type of despondency. I'd like to think I wouldn't have reacted the way he did to so many bad things coming into his life at once, but who's really to say?</blockquote>

I'm sorry Deuce, but anyone that could put a bullet into their own child deserves every ounce of disdain and disgust thrown their way, no matter what their circumstance is. I'd do anything to preserve the lives of my kids and that's how it's supposed to be. It's one thing to off yourself, but to take out your family too is unfathomable...

<a href="http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-porterranch7-2008oct07,0,7425239.story">LA Times article on the incident</a>

Unfortunately, I doubt this will be the last time we hear this story, I fear it will be repeated over and over again as things get worse.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1223371458][quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1223371101]Don't be so hasty to judge. We never know the whole story of what is going on in someone else's life and how it is affecting them, or to say how we'd react, given the same circumstances. It's a good rule to be nicer to someone than you have to be, or even than they deserve, for just this reason.

I very nearly lost a brother to this type of despondency. I'd like to think I wouldn't have reacted the way he did to so many bad things coming into his life at once, but who's really to say?</blockquote>

I'm sorry Deuce, but anyone that could put a bullet into their own child deserves every ounce of disdain and disgust thrown their way, no matter what their circumstance is. I'd do anything to preserve the lives of my kids and that's how it's supposed to be. It's one thing to off yourself, but to take out your family too is unfathomable...

<a href="http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-porterranch7-2008oct07,0,7425239.story">LA Times article on the incident</a></blockquote>

I with Ipop on this one. It is loser enough to kill himself and leave the mess to the family, but it is beyond comprehension why someone would need to kill the family as well. What did those children do to deserve that?

[quote author="asianinvasian" date=1223369827]Note he was a renter.

<strong>He noted that the family did not own the home.</strong>

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BODIES_FOUND</blockquote>

What is your point?

That he was smart enough to have sold his house for a huge profit, and was patiently waiting out the housing bubble. Found out the government is bailing out people anyway, and decided to take it out on others.

[quote author="IrvineRenter" date=1223377747][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1223371458][quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1223371101]Don't be so hasty to judge. We never know the whole story of what is going on in someone else's life and how it is affecting them, or to say how we'd react, given the same circumstances. It's a good rule to be nicer to someone than you have to be, or even than they deserve, for just this reason.

<a href="http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-porterranch7-2008oct07,0,7425239.story">LA Times article on the incident</a></blockquote>

I with Ipop on this one. It is loser enough to kill himself and leave the mess to the family, but it is beyond comprehension why someone would need to kill the family as well. What did those children do to deserve that?</blockquote>

Because depression makes you crazy.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression</a>

Imagine how all those fools who moved into the Villages of Columbus feel these days.

I expect to see a lot of this. If you know somebody who is suffering from depression (that would be anyone who lives in the Villages of Columbus) <em>get them help now.</em> The life you save may be your own.

^^^ Vasily,

I know the feeling, to "cure" the epilsey my wife had she had surgery. The side effects were/are mild depression. If she works out, dances and keeps a good attitude she can usually overcome most issues (its not a choice, its a chemical imbalance - read "symphony of the mind"...). In extreme cases I can see people feeling helpless and everybody around them as stuck in their situtation and just not knowing it yet.

Plus being a man, he probably didn't even recognise he needed help or even a thought to see out help.

otherwise I see lots of tradegdy that could have easily been avoided.

good luck

-bix

-wow the ages of the kids shocked me 19!! and 12!! most of the time somebody gets rid of young kids. jesus the 19 year old was a legal adult. why drag him into the money problems or what ever.

yes this is really sad.

you know I posted earlier it is not the end of the world. you have to be happy with the life you have.

Maybe i'm lucky but I know my familiy has got my back if things get really bad.

This guy should have gotten help. I was laid off Oct 2007. got a new job Aug 2008.

It took a while but I got depressed however I am seeing a psycologist and taking some meds for it.

You have to help your self a bit.

Could this be related to the economy as well???

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (AP) -- A woman was shot to death and her two school-age daughters fatally stabbed Monday in an apparent murder-suicide, officials said.

Law enforcement officials in Louisville, Kentucky, investigate an apparent murder-suicide.

A family member stopping by the house found the scene just before 7:30 p.m. EDT and called police, Louisville Metro Police spokeswoman Alicia Smiley said.

Smiley said investigators believe the woman killed her daughters then shot herself.

Jefferson County Deputy Coroner Bob Jones identified the mother as Hope Orwick, 35, who he said died of a gunshot wound to the head. The girls were 9-year-old Emily Orwick and 8-year-old Lindsey Orwick, Jones said.

He said both girls died of stab wounds but could not say how many times they were stabbed pending an autopsy scheduled for Tuesday.

Two chaplains were at the scene in Kentucky on Monday night, and Smiley said 15 or so family members gathered there. Police talked to the relatives to see whether they could help explain what may have led to the deaths, she said.

Don't Miss

Jobless father kills family, himself in Los Angeles

Woman recounts hostage ordeal

Neighbor Mechelle Rockey, 48, told The Courier-Journal newspaper that she has lived across the street from the family for about six months. She said the two girls often played outside.

"They were the sweetest little girls," Rockey said. "They were cute as a button."

Neighborhood children were distraught over the girls' deaths, Rockey said.

"They all played together," she said.

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1223418850]If you are familiar with the South Asian culture, they don't get help with psycologist, esp. if you are a man. He feels that what he did was honorable. Very different perspective, I am telling you.</blockquote>

_ Ok I get it. it was Seppuku for the whole family.

Seppuku (??, Seppuku? "stomach-cutting") is a form of Japanese ritual suicide by disembowelment. Seppuku was originally reserved only for samurai. Part of the samurai honor code, seppuku was used voluntarily by samurai to die with honor rather than fall into the hands of their enemies, as a form of capital punishment for samurai who have committed serious offenses, and for reasons that shamed them. Seppuku is performed by plunging a sword into the abdomen and moving the sword left to right in a slicing motion. The practice of committing seppuku at the death of one's master, known as oibara (?? or ???, the kun'yomi or Japanese reading) or tsuifuku (??, the on'yomi or Chinese reading), follows a similar ritual.

Reminds me of this story from a few months back:

<a href="http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080529/news_1n29bodies.html">San Clemente murder-suicide</a>

That crime seemed very similar in that it was a nice neighborhood,

man killed wife, kids, and grandparent,

neighbors had nothing but nice things to say,

the person was a professional, etc.

I don't think they ever uncovered a financial motivation for that tragedy though.

Also in Yorba Linda - <a href="http://cbs2.com/local/Brea.Murder.Suicide.2.661567.html">a murder/suicide</a> - husband killed himself, kids, wife, etc. back in February. The video states he lost his job and was depressed over financial problems. Unfortunately I think we'll be seeing more of this as people are put under increasing pressure financially.

<blockquote>Just found out that I lost 35% in my 403(b) in past few weeks. So maybe I should chop off my left leg?</blockquote>

Hmm...not enough. Add your right arm and then you have it right.

But the story above is just sad. I really feel for the kids as they have yet to experience life.

<a href="http://www.knx1070.com/Suicide-and-the-Economy/3090770">Suicide and the Economy</a>

Audio (interview) from KNX News Radio on the rising suicide rate, and mental well being of people during a recession and mention of the killings from which this thread originated.

Back